corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Electronic Ordering System

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electronic Ordering System
Bart

User status: Offline
25th Jul 06 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are currently using a paper ordering system, whereby if i order something, its written out on carbon pad, and about 4 copies go down the line.
The storeman has a copy for when the item arrives, he ticks it off.
The accounts get the other copies etc.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a type of system that could be used?
Ideally, it would need to be cheap if possible.

We would also like people to be able to login to a PC (even our intranet) and be able to place orders with our purchaser.

Adam
Dom

25th Jul 06 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would only require a simple database driven application - could be written in php/vb/C/perl etc wouldnt think it would be that hard...though from propper systems, not sure
PaulW

25th Jul 06 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true some sort of custom system would be best suited, as alot of things out there are focused on lots of different things & finding one suited to yourselves would be a nightmare...

php/perl/mysql backend would be ideal for it given the fact its all opensource & free, but its the development costs & such which will still put the price up.
Sam
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SAP
PaulW

25th Jul 06 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used SAP before, found it bloated, buggy, shit and slow...

although this was back in 2000 when it was being trialled at a place i worked
Sam
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used it last year when I was working at Powwow Water (now owned by Nestle), TBH Paul not much has changed, where I am now they use Oracle, that is equally shit!
MikeLamb

25th Jul 06 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SAP.. Shit??
Dom

25th Jul 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used to work for a big ISP and we used a custom system with oracle as the background, was DOS based...was crap too and slow

write your own system - have it how you want, and will probably be a lot lot quicker
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Jul 06 at 01:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Digest authentication on the domain for logging in to the intranet, easy with IIS, just a tick-box. You ideally need an SSL certificate though as you don't really want to be passing domain credentials over regular HTTP. You can make SSL certs with Win 2003 server, been a while but I've had success in the past with this. Bit of a pain in the ass due to needing to do everything in the right order but not actually that difficult if you have the software.

Alternative is something bespoke PHP for logging in which is programming, potentially a bit quicker though, the one I have which authenticates through the domain is very slow indeed compared to local auth to a MySQL table.

You need to be 100% sure what the system is doing also, ie. what every person along the way needs to see/do.

Then decide what data you need to store and make some tables, then program the PHP.

Easy enough
PaulW

26th Jul 06 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I used it last year when I was working at Powwow Water (now owned by Nestle), TBH Paul not much has changed, where I am now they use Oracle, that is equally shit!

Dont you talk to me about Oracle... that shitter of a system failed me a module at uni as the damn thing never worked & they never compensated for it and best thing was they even acknowledged the system was being trialled so wouldnt be 100%... cocks
Bart

26th Jul 06 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive found the perfect package (i think). seems to be able to do everything i want it to, and its web based.

Has anyone heard of CRM-CTT?

its open source too!

New Poll