corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » very loud crunching and rattleing sound from the engine

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author very loud crunching and rattleing sound from the engine
AustCorsaSport

User status: Offline
6th Jul 06 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi there,
after a 5 hour drive home my car started to make a very loud grinding type noise from the engine bay, with the occasional squeak.
i am a little baffled because apart from the rather obvious noise the car appears to be running fine???
however i am sure this is a problem which could be major if it is not fixed (obviously) but am curious as to whther or not anyone has experienced anything similar so at leaset i can be clued up when i arrive at the garage.
any help would be fantastic, like i said it is a grinding type rattleing noise from the side of the 1.6 ecotec sport engine. thanks for any help
CrawleySRi-Reece

6th Jul 06 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it sounds to me like your catalytic converter,thats just a guess but i had the same noises on ma mums car,and it turned out to be the cataytic converter.when you need a new one,they make to most irritating rattleing noise.hope this helps
Jas

6th Jul 06 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to hope its not coming from the bottom end.. could be cranks
mitch2

6th Jul 06 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it is the crank, then it will be expensive. Just had mine done and it cost me about £200 to £250.
Jas

6th Jul 06 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my crank went, it invloves taking bottom of engine apart and replacing a few few things. need to send you crank away to be done..

i changed engine, it was easier
mitch2

6th Jul 06 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i would have been better replacing the engine, but it is a solid 2 litre engine, apart from the obvious. It has taken me 3 weeks to get it working right. Every time i built it back up, something went wrong. Damaged front crank seal, stripped thread. nothing but problems.
Anyway, the problem AustCorsaSport might have is a damaged/worn water pump or alternator. The cambelt and the pulleys might need replacing. Could be a number of things. Need to know if the noise is coming from the head, bottom end or somewhere else.
Joe

6th Jul 06 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its coming from the cambelt side of the engine, its most likely to be the water pump giving up the ghost.
AustCorsaSport

12th Jul 06 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys, a friend said it might be the water pump so i am hoping it is, it sounds like the easiest of the problems to fix
PaulW

12th Jul 06 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just make sure you replace the timing belt rollers & other bits when your doing the waterpump

also give it an oil change & just check what the oil coming out is like (get a magnet & stir it around in the oil too, just make sure there is nothing else wrong, ie, nothing has gone crunch)

New Poll