corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 2ltr sump. alloy or steel?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2ltr sump. alloy or steel?
myke

User status: Offline
26th Feb 06 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got one of each, but am not sure if there is a difference apart from the material.
are they the same depth and capacity?
which is better?

steel one would be easier as it's more accesible and clean, but i want to use the pickup and dipstick tube from the alloy sumped engine for the same reasons.
are they 100% interchangable?

cheers
Will_Sport

26th Feb 06 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by alloy do you mean aluminium?

cos all steel is, is iron with various alloys added (carbon,phosphorus etc).

do they look the same? and which is standard?
myke

26th Feb 06 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, ones steel and one's ally.
the steel one seems to be formed out of a sheet pressed over a mould, and the ally one is cast.

i'd say the ally has thicker walls and has very short cooling fins cast into the bottom where the steel one is totally smooth.

they're both standard as far as i'm aware. the ally is from a '90 engine, and the steel from a '87 engine, although iit could have been from an 8v originally.

they both fit, i just wasn't sure of the benefits of either and whether they were both the same volumetrically.

the ally one has been repaired once before so presumanly the steel would be stronger as it'll bend if it gets caught rather than cracking??
ed

26th Feb 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Will_Sport
by alloy do you mean aluminium?

cos all steel is, is iron with various alloys added (carbon,phosphorus etc).

do they look the same? and which is standard?
Somone's read thier science books

The 8v ones will fit, and as far as I can tell they should work too... The 8v engnies use the same oil pump and block so I couldn't really see there being much of a problem. I'm guessing that they use roughly the same volume of oil too.

New Poll