corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49

New Poll
  <<  47    48    49    50  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49
ed

User status: Offline
7th Jun 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
good work my lad, can you do me a carbon fibre arse for my wall?
I could get some two pack expanding foam and take a moulding of your ass and go from there
SteveW

7th Jun 10 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aww shit dude.. sorry to see that didnt come out well
next time you'll nail it im sure
ed

7th Jun 10 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I might try the spoiler idea I mentioned to you first of all as I have enough carbon to do it with. Then I can make sure I've got the process nailed before I try another roof
.dean.

7th Jun 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done for trying tho!!!
Eck
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play for giving it a go. If anything you've learnt valuable lessons for the next attempt!
gazzamec

7th Jun 10 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shame that went so badly, I've got a few pointers some of which you probably won't like to hear but all in the respect of guidance.
Firstly you don't want to be using shite polyester resin as it spider fractures really easily and is a bastard to get a good "clear" colour from and the gelgoat will deteriorate over time, I ALWAYS reccomend using epoxy resin as it makes a much stronger and much more cosmetically desirable product.
you're partially right when it comes to the peel ply as the plastic stuff is pretty shit TBH, I use the "red stripe" peel ply which is as you say a nylon fabric treated with release and then a felt breather, the next bit is the crucial bit, AS it's coming under vac you must "help" the bag find all the recesses as it tends to just suck down and cling.
learning lessons has cost me literally hundreds and TBH I'm glad I made the mistakes I made.
ed

8th Jun 10 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used an epoxy resin system.

The pin-prick release film is da-shiz if you're laying up pre-preg. It's the exact same product used on Koenigsegg panels.

We did help get the bag into all the corners to prevent any bridging.

Like I say, the fuck-up was on the choice of release film and breather which sucked all the resin out. Not sure if I'll even bother bagging it next time because 1kg of resin wetted out the fabric very nicely without being too resin rich/lean anywhere...
gazzamec

8th Jun 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right, could've sworn you said you was using polyester gelcoat, if you do a wet lay where you don't bag you're going to have to keep an eye out for lifting as the carbon likes to float in the resin which will look like a nice dent in your panel.

also without vacuuming you will end up with "cloudy" areas (just look at the first few GSI bumper performance trim tried to do, that's down to tiny air bubbles being in the resin, there's no way without vac that you will get rid of these or even know where they are.

<<  47    48    49    50  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49 24 database queries in 0.0220501 seconds