corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49

New Poll
  <<  45    46    47    48    49    50  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th May 10 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You doing this at home or in Brum? I'm guessing home. If you need anything or any other suppleis, let me know and I'll see what I can lay my hands on for you
ed

6th May 10 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made the mould at home and doing the layup in Brum. Then fitting the part back at home again. I need the massive oven and vac pump that's in Brum to do this - bit of a pain lugging the stuff about but hey ho.

Cheers, I'll give you a shout if I do end up needing stuff, think I've got most of it though
ed

8th May 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fail. I used polyester resin for the mould which can't go in the oven for the prepreg carbon. I'll have to wet lay it...
Tomnova16
Premium Member

8th May 10 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wet lay carbon yeah
does it mean you have to use different stuff

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
ed

8th May 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. Means I have to use the fabric and wet it out with some epoxy resin. Risk is the weave might not be as straight and the part might be heavier but my friend who's advising me thinks I'll be able to do it...
John G

8th May 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Composites talk lee
ed

8th May 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also means I'll have to buy my own carbon and not steal hand me downs. This roof is verging on costing me £50
Leighton

8th May 10 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you going to vacuum bag it now?
ed

8th May 10 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. Going to wet lay it and vac bag it to de-bulk it. That will reduce the excess resin and remove te air bubbles for those who wantto know
Leighton

8th May 10 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and make it stronger because there is no excess resin
John G

8th May 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that not pre-preged carbon sheets? what are you using to bag the job? once we lay up the jobs onto the mould be bag carbon with solid halar, then straight to 2layers of thin breather then into your bag, how many valves you going to be using? as the bags pretty big, i would have said 3 to 4 valves for when its in the oven to get and even pull
ed

8th May 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The original plan was to use prepreg stuff but the mould I made wasn't up to the job as I used polyester resin which can't take the temp of the oven needed...
ed

8th May 10 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sooo. I think i'll do a single ply of 650 grams per meter carbon and wet lay it using polyester resin onto a plyester gel coat. This will probs only work with all the other boring shit I've been chatting about.
Mattb

8th May 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bloody get on with it edwardo!!!!!!!

cant belive stuffs getting done to the corsa! top stuff dude!
ed

9th May 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll get it done. Are congratulations in order for you yet?
pow
Premium Member

10th May 10 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as fuck
RichR
Premium Member

10th May 10 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
Composites talk lee

I know my composites, what you were syaing didn't make sense - maybe it was just how you typed it or how I read it but it doesn't make sense.

This

quote:
enough bag into the areas it will be a shit job.

This doesn't make sense, if there wasn't enough bag, then it would just pull away at the edges and not form a vacuum; how do you get more bag into areas when its flat sheet?

and this
quote:
im not in wet lay up, im in composites as a laminator but carbon is my prefered material, then Epoxy, Phenolic is just a twat!

I'm assuming the latter actually means that you use both Phenolic Pre Preg and Epoxy Pre preg; but how can Carbon alone be your prefered material? Surely you mean either as a pre-preg or you prefer it to glass pre preg? But to prefer carbon to epoxy doesn't make sense, they're two parts of the same end product surely?

I'm not having a dig, it just doesn't make sense.

Also, what do you work as? What are you producing? I find it all really interesting, At work, we mainly hand lay everything, little bit of vacuum bagging but we're moving over to more closed mould resin infusion/RTM on smaller components first then on from there. I've been over to the JEC show in Paris a few times which is a composite geeks heaven.

I also do quite a bit in my own time working with higher tech composites, carbons, kevlars, pre preg and wet lay and my best mate runs CarbonMods

[Edited on 10-05-2010 by LiVe LeE]
ed

10th May 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee: Do you know if data is available to tell you how thick a single ply of fabric would be after it has been wetted out? It was fairly easy with the pre-preg as we've got samples of it all to measure along with test data for strength. I've been chatting to a mate of mine who suggested that I should try a single ply of 650g/m^2 2x2 twill. I'm aiming for a 0.75mm thick panel and I'm going to try and blag some epoxy resin, otherwise it will have to be the polyester again...
RichR
Premium Member

10th May 10 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hang on
RichR
Premium Member

10th May 10 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ply Thickness = (( Mf/3072)*((2.56/(Mf/Mt))-1.36)

Where Mf = your Fibre mass per m2 i.e. if your using 600gsm cloth, then input 600 and Mt = the Total Mass fo the panel per m2 (Fibre + Matrix[Resin]) ie 600gsm + Resin at 1.33:1 = 1398grams.

All units are in mm and the weights are all in grams
3CorsaMeal

10th May 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is carbon fibre sprayed with laquer afterwards or do you polish up the resin part of it?
RichR
Premium Member

10th May 10 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

worked example using CSM600 and 0.33Wf (2:1)gives

Mf = 600
Mt = 1800

([600/3072]*[(2.56/(600/1800))-1.36]) = 1.23mm
RichR
Premium Member

10th May 10 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
is carbon fibre sprayed with laquer afterwards or do you polish up the resin part of it?

you shouldn't need to do anything as it is being applied to a female mould. In reality, there probably would be a bit of buffing to do, but shouldn't need lacquering.
Stu_22

10th May 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this a one off or will you be able to make a few of them?
ed

10th May 10 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for that Lee.

For wet layup I've been advised to use a thin layer of gel coat otherwise I might not get it out of the mould. If the mould was production quality then it would come out with a proper finish, as it's a shed quality mould it might need a wet sand and a polish. As I intend on lacquering it anyway it's going to get a sand down before hand as I think there will be a few not so good parts.

There's been a development. I think I can cure the prepreg at 80 degrees, need to try and find out the maximum working temp of this resin. D'oh...

<<  45    46    47    48    49    50  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49 24 database queries in 0.1178141 seconds