corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Unhealthy engine sounds? X14XE

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Unhealthy engine sounds? X14XE
Will94

User status: Offline
27th Jan 05 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rite, i've been offered a 16v SRi from a m8 4 sale.. bit of a story behind the engine tho and could do with some advice!
Basically when he got it, ran very quiet. but he got into the habit of takin it round 2 the limiter from cold every morning so it developed a nice tapping noise. He had a full set of 16 new tappets fitted and new timing belt, which made it run smoother but still tapped. Since then a valve guide broke (causing some nasty damage), but now thats been repaired its quietER... but still a tappin noise there. I'm thinkin it could be one of the camshafts.... but i could do with some advice, dont want it if its sumthin bad lol
jamesw

27th Jan 05 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo wouldnt touch it, who in there right mind redlines there car every day espesh when its cold
Will94

27th Jan 05 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol he has a twitchy rite foot i think
dan.payne

28th Jan 05 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stay away redline is bad!
Cybermonkey

28th Jan 05 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan.payne
Stay away redline is bad!

redline is there for a reason, granted, its not good for the engine to hit redline all the time, but every so often, once engine is warmed through, give it a blat through every gear until its screaming like a biatch
Cybermonkey

28th Jan 05 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Will94
Rite, i've been offered a 16v SRi from a m8 4 sale.. bit of a story behind the engine tho and could do with some advice!
Basically when he got it, ran very quiet. but he got into the habit of takin it round 2 the limiter from cold every morning so it developed a nice tapping noise. He had a full set of 16 new tappets fitted and new timing belt, which made it run smoother but still tapped. Since then a valve guide broke (causing some nasty damage), but now thats been repaired its quietER... but still a tappin noise there. I'm thinkin it could be one of the camshafts.... but i could do with some advice, dont want it if its sumthin bad lol

Tapping would definately be the hydraulic tappers if its quite loud from cold, and problem is more serious if it does it when its warm too. Oil starvation is the problem, so is most probably fucked somewhere along the line.
James R

28th Jan 05 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what's wrong with bouncing around the rev limiter??
Granted from cold is bad. tapping is either cause they is lots of gunk in the sump blockign the oil galleries for the taps, could flush it and see.
Cybermonkey

28th Jan 05 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting the engine revved up often from cold is going to have some condensation problems, particularly if it does short journeys. I expect the oil and system needs a good flush out, just like j1 said
Will94

28th Jan 05 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah could be... didnt fancy buying trouble lol. It was only when he 1st got it he did that, ever since it started tapping he realised and treats it with a bit more care now lol

New Poll