corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » network share help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author network share help
Dom

User status: Offline
   3rd Nov 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

howdies all,
im after some info for accessing a passworded file on a passworded (standard username/password XP) network share, via command line?

basically, i have the computer and folder \\dompc\movies and i want to access 1.avi via mediaplayer, but obviously typing \\dompc\movies\1.avi into media causes it to display the login box to access that network share.
Im after a way to get arround this, like what can be done with a HTTP server - ie: http://usernameassword@www.website.com/folder/file.ext etc

and the reason behind this is that i need to access it from a VB application, so im kinda stuck on info about logging into network shares and grabbing files etc

tar all
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Nov 04 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Putting a username and password on the URL is no longer supported by most browsers.

The only thing that is springing to mind is that if the VB process runs as a user who has privs over that share.

Or authenticate beforehand.

Or loosen the share.
Dom

3rd Nov 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Putting a username and password on the URL is no longer supported by most browsers.

The only thing that is springing to mind is that if the VB process runs as a user who has privs over that share.

Or authenticate beforehand.

Or loosen the share.

hmmmm
only thing that i can think of is using net use command and create a mapped drive to the folder and then access that, but i was wondering if there is a way of doing a command line jobby - but it looks like there isnt

can you authenticate via command lines? ie: use the NET command etc?

yea ill try running the program as the same user as the network machine and see what happens,

tar ian
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Nov 04 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does net use do when you try and map to the unauthenticated share?

Its a daft question but is a shared drive the best place for the file?
Dom

4th Nov 04 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
What does net use do when you try and map to the unauthenticated share?

Its a daft question but is a shared drive the best place for the file?

using net use (with username password) causes it to map a drive perfectly, its just that id rather not map a drive if i dont have to...and ive yet to find any other way

well this is all for a client program and it needs to access the server for media movie files, which can be up to a few gigs in size, so im hacing to stream them from the server. But its the whole access network share. Only solution would be to guest account on the network share, but then everyone on the network can view/read the files which i dont want to do - as i want to keep it secure just for this program.

oh wells, ill keep looking to see if there is a better way other than mapping a drive to the share

tar ian

New Poll