corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » does this sound about right...... gear changing

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author does this sound about right...... gear changing
Red_SXi

User status: Offline
29th Jul 04 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my 1.2 16v Sxi, if racing i do:

1st Gear - 30Mph
2nd Gear - 50mph
3rd Gear - 72mph
4th gear - 95mph
5th gear - Haven't tried going as fast as i can yet
L330wnz

29th Jul 04 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

racing's bad mmmkay a nova tried to race me the other day.. I pulled away slowly and he cained it so I floored it and slammed it 2nd and floored it again and was pulling away with ease so he just gave up he didn't try it again at next set of lights
waynep

29th Jul 04 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feels goood when you know u hav whoooped sumone
L330wnz

29th Jul 04 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but it was a nova no idea wot cc it was but I pulled about 4 lengths in front just in 2nd gear...

but it felt good that a lil chavvy nova boy was shut up and realised he aint driving a quick car (nor am I but I accept that ) he's really driving a bag of poo
greebo2

29th Jul 04 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now u're gonna laff at this. I put mobil 1 and optimax in my 1l 12v. Then do 90 in 4th.
I'm hoping the fancy oil will save the engine. It drives nice and smooth, just a bit of high-pitched whine (probably gearbox). It's actually got a bit of torque like this.
It's a bit like a bike engine I suppose, there's a sort-of power band from about 4000-5000 or so. Not much of one, mind.
Red_SXi

30th Jul 04 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't much of a power band in the 1.0 12v mate, i've driven a few and wasn't impressed TBH. Not only do they feel like they have no torque when you're accelerating, you really notice the lack of power when you need to lift the clutch a bit quick at roundabouts and junctions
Rebrabuk

30th Jul 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 94 1.4 8v SRI..

1st = 30
2nd = 50
3rd = 80
4th = 100
5th = 110
greebo2

31st Jul 04 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL well I did say "a SORT-OF power band" (tongue firmly in cheek) and "not much of one"!!!

You're also right about the thing being nasty at roundabouts etc - however the issue is just as much the massive body roll of the standard suspension, when lowered the car is much safer to drive at roundabouts/junctions, you nip round faster because the lowered car will hold a much tighter line and you're not fighting the body keeling over like a trawler in the north sea!

Actually AFAIK this engine is purely designed for good fuel economy, there's no power in the normal sense when compared with larger engines. But it's good at what it does -
I've been getting 55 MPG all summer it's like driving a diesel. So nice to fill it up and only put 25 quid in instead of 50!
greebo2

31st Jul 04 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

correction - it's like driving a diesel without the torque! point taken ;-)

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll