corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 TOP SPEED WIV 17'S

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.2 TOP SPEED WIV 17'S
Gambit

User status: Offline
15th Jan 04 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we havent have one of the these top speed threads in a good while - god how they make me chuckle
essexracer

15th Jan 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luca2020
the fact that the gsi can only do 121 top end, and thats the gearbox limiting it, i dout the 1.4 can hit a real 117mph

i read sumwhere on here that actually the f13 (the gear box i av) can only do 117mph top end if u av the power! thats 5mph more than the book figre, and i recon i av the power to hit 117. we all know that speedos over read! but stil

quote:
Originally posted by kerzo
i bet all the 2ltr owners are laughing at you crawling to 120mph

yea i know, i was just sayin i was in the same boat just 10mph higher up...did u read wat i said a few words after the bit u made bold?

quote:
Originally posted by essexracer
i have to laugh at u 1.2 guys strugglin to hit a ton....i av a 1.4 16v (slightly tuned) and i can hit 110 easy but after that it really starts to crawl ...

i wasnt takin the piss out of the 1.2 guys....was just sayin im in the same boat really! we all want to be ABLE to drive faster!

james

[Edited on 15-01-2004 by essexracer]
R Lee

15th Jan 04 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
we havent have one of the these top speed threads in a good while - god how they make me chuckle

i laugh at mine aswell! 1.2 16v power

0-60 10848372 secs
0-100 183646284832 secs
max speed 101.136458837264747363

all rough estimates
essexracer

15th Jan 04 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RobHayes

15th Jan 04 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a 8v SRi which i had to just over 120mph on the clock, that was on 15s wiv k&n and cat-back exhaust (piper)
corsabmo-fo

15th Jan 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
My 1.2 8v on 16"s (with 45 profile tyres), wud just bout touch 90mph........on 17"s i'm thinking 85-90 max.

Please remember 1.2 8v boys, ur top speed is achieved in 4th gear, not 5th. 5th is to be used as a "cruising" gear only, for fuel consumption purposes.

To anyone who's thinking of putting 17"s on a 1.2 8v.............DONT. U'll lose any performance u think u had, ur top speed will be much lower, u'll see quite a drop in fuel consumption and it'll generally put more strain on your engine.

Stick to 15"s, keep ur handling, and will let u drop 60mm with no trouble.

Matt

What are you on about? wheels wont effect fuel consumption and will increase top speed as you are travelling further on one revoloution of a big wheel than a smaller 1, basic maths boyo.
Reason you think you have a lower fuel consumption is that speedo and tripmetre are read through gearbox which on a 1.2 8v is set up for 13s so you are going further and faster than your car thinks, 17s will say have taken you 100 miles but your car thinks you have only done 50.
J da Silva

15th Jan 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only thing 17's will affect in a negative way is the power, no zip when u set off
M4tt

15th Jan 04 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsabmo-fo
quote:
My 1.2 8v on 16"s (with 45 profile tyres), wud just bout touch 90mph........on 17"s i'm thinking 85-90 max.

Please remember 1.2 8v boys, ur top speed is achieved in 4th gear, not 5th. 5th is to be used as a "cruising" gear only, for fuel consumption purposes.

To anyone who's thinking of putting 17"s on a 1.2 8v.............DONT. U'll lose any performance u think u had, ur top speed will be much lower, u'll see quite a drop in fuel consumption and it'll generally put more strain on your engine.

Matt

What are you on about? wheels wont effect fuel consumption and will increase top speed as you are travelling further on one revoloution of a big wheel than a smaller 1, basic maths boyo.
Reason you think you have a lower fuel consumption is that speedo and tripmetre are read through gearbox which on a 1.2 8v is set up for 13s so you are going further and faster than your car thinks, 17s will say have taken you 100 miles but your car thinks you have only done 50.

i think you'll find your engine needs to work harder to rotate the BIGGER, HEAVIER wheels boyo ( ) so you will use more fuel. and your fuel ain't read through your gearbox, its read from the FUEL tank

corsabmo-fo

15th Jan 04 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M4tt
quote:
quote:

Matt

i think you'll find your engine needs to work harder to rotate the BIGGER, HEAVIER wheels boyo ( ) so you will use more fuel. and your fuel ain't read through your gearbox, its read from the FUEL tank

dont look like you can read either boyo, didnt say fuel is read through gearbox, said milage is read through gearbox and you work fuel consumption from miles travelled on fuel, givin you the mpg, or miles per gallon if you dont no wat mpg means.
Voyto

16th Jan 04 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines a 1.2 16V on 17s. Before the wheels the clocks read about 112 max. with the wheels on i struggle to touch 100. Done it once with wind on my side.
J da Silva

16th Jan 04 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Matt

hence the reason for an ascender unit, i think i spelt that right
ive got 18's on mine, not much power loss but its noticable
MattyB

16th Jan 04 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Matt

you obviously have no idea bout this subject at all do you.....?

Fuel consumption WILL BE increased as you are having to open the throttle more, just to get to the same speeds.

As for greater top speeds.........yes, in theory, but only if the engine has enough power to get turn the wheels. The c12nz engine in the corsa DOES NOT, again because the engine is under more strain.

As for the trip meter + speedo reading incorrectly. Ur wrong. Whilst on my 16"s, i test this using a very expensive GPS system that my dad uses for planning + surveying. The maximum i was out at any speed up to 70mph, was 8% over read. As for the tripometer!!!! The difference made between 13" rims and 17"s is hardly anything.

ie: if you drove London -> Swansea say (200 miles), the 14"s wud read 200ish, where was the 17"s may read 190-195. Therefore, the difference is negligable, but on the 17" you would have used MORE FUEL.

I've gone up from 14"s to 17"s on my 306, and funnily enough, the journey to work is still exactly the same number of miles!! yet even with 174lb/trq, my top speed + fuel consumption have both decreased.

U clearly dont have an ounce of knowledge in your head bout this, especially trying to argue with some1 who tried and tested this over 2 years.

Matt

[Edited on 16-01-2004 by MattyB]

[Edited on 16-01-2004 by MattyB]
RichR
Premium Member

16th Jan 04 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine will touch about 92 ish ( read off the clock-so not accurate) but this doesnt feel comfortable at all - I dont venture much above 85 in this car as theres no point
Icy

16th Jan 04 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get about 85mph top end on 17s
usually below that tho
get 90 downhill
J da Silva

16th Jan 04 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a well known fact corsa b mofo that if u was travelling say 50mph for arguements sake, and then u booted it upto 65mph you'd be using more fuel the faster u go
M4tt

16th Jan 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Matt

dont look like you can read either boyo, didnt say fuel is read through gearbox, said milage is read through gearbox and you work fuel consumption from miles travelled on fuel, givin you the mpg, or miles per gallon if you dont no wat mpg means.

1. don't write your reply within the quote, makes it awfully difficult to read boyo
2. sorry i thought you were on about fuel being read through the gearbox.
3. bigger wheels use more fuel because they are heavier and larger and require more effort for the engine to turn em, which requires more fuel FULL STOP.
3. there's hardly going to be a 50 mile difference between 13in wheels and 17in wheels.
4. also wider wheels effect the drag coefficient ( do you know what that is?), increaseing fuel consumption.

i can see where your coming from, because you think there is no difference in fuel consumption because of the difference the 17s have ova the 13s in terms of speed monitoring and milage recording, so they should cancel out right?

but the way i see it is that to turn the wheels to get to the desired speed it requires more energy, similar to u using more fuel with a full car, because the engine has to work harder to move the car

MattyB

17th Jan 04 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He obviously knows he's wrong now M4tt

Matt
ed

17th Jan 04 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remember that your speedo will probaly go out of sync when you get wheels that ar pretty much anything over 17'' (not saying that smaller wheels wont make a difference, just that its noramlly going to be un-noticable) so your gonna be going faster that the speedo says. In most cases
Screaming Vtec

18th Jan 04 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the speedo overreads anyway... so with 17's your probably going what the speedo says...
Mistamist

18th Jan 04 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a quick thing, the 1.2 speedo goes from 0-130, if you replace this with a 0-140 when you go to 17's it reads a little more accurately up to 90 (tested with gps) not exact but a little better.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll