corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.4 Hi-Torq won't start when cold

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.4 Hi-Torq won't start when cold
Gambit

User status: Offline
4th Nov 03 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a look under fuelling chapter, chapter 4 i'm guessing

and it should say something about cold start or coolant temp sensor within the first few pages of it or somethin along those lines!
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i cannot find this. On the other hand, there is no mention of a choke
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a corsa flair by any chance? a 60bhp hi torque, i had this problem with my old 1
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they dont like induction kits!!!
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the little tube u take of to fit the induction kit!!!! on these cars the thin red tube connecting the air box sorts the right temp and when you disconect it,to fit the induction kit, you disconect it. the engine thinks its the wrong temp, especially when it int puttin the right temp in the winter!!!! i suggest putting you normal air intake in for the winter and then puttin it back on in the summer!!! or get a sport, which is different intake
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by leon_in_uk
its the little tube u take of to fit the induction kit!!!! on these cars the thin red tube connecting the air box sorts the right temp and when you disconect it,to fit the induction kit, you disconect it. the engine thinks its the wrong temp, especially when it int puttin the right temp in the winter!!!! i suggest putting you normal air intake in for the winter and then puttin it back on in the summer!!! or get a sport, which is different intake

That little red pipe is the Intake Air Temperature Control Vacuum Pipe. It controls the Intake Air Temperature Control Valve within the airbox. All it does is adjust the amount of hot air entering the airbox from the exhaust manifold shroud. It adjusts according to how much cold/warm air the engine needs to run efficiently with the least amount of dangerous emissions. If the valve is somehow broken, and only letting in cold air, it will not run well at all from cold.
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

precisely
PaulW

4th Nov 03 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These engines have no problems with Induction kits, except for the usual hot-air intake issue which affects most vauxhalls due to the engine temp under the bonnet.

I had a similiar problem with my 1.4 8v SPI, ended up I needed to adjust the ignition timing, cant remember if I retarded it or advanced it, but it solved the problem, along with an oil change at the same time!

A common week spot on these engine is the dizzy, they can go, especially around the 100k mark if the engine isn't looked after well, so if you can get the ignition checked at a garage or something, it may be missing a spark every 2 or 3 rotations

And like Adam-D said, check the breather hose & take the cover off the inlet manifold (the black plastic round box thing, 2 bolts from top hole it in place), check inside for any excess oil which has been blown through the breather hose & also clean the rubber gasget which & all bits with WD40, wipe it all dry & refit it
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
These engines have no problems with Induction kits, except for the usual hot-air intake issue which affects most vauxhalls due to the engine temp under the bonnet.

I had a similiar problem with my 1.4 8v SPI, ended up I needed to adjust the ignition timing, cant remember if I retarded it or advanced it, but it solved the problem, along with an oil change at the same time!

A common week spot on these engine is the dizzy, they can go, especially around the 100k mark if the engine isn't looked after well, so if you can get the ignition checked at a garage or something, it may be missing a spark every 2 or 3 rotations

And like Adam-D said, check the breather hose & take the cover off the inlet manifold (the black plastic round box thing, 2 bolts from top hole it in place), check inside for any excess oil which has been blown through the breather hose & also clean the rubber gasget which & all bits with WD40, wipe it all dry & refit it

Its fact now that simply drilling the airbox is a better solution than an induction kit. More power can be extracted from a drilled airbox, and its almost free.
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he might not have a dizzy, and what your referring to is the hall sender failing

leon_in_uk - your wrong mate, that wont effect cold starting - how can you suck hot air of a cold manifold? it helps the engine warm up, but it wont help it cold start
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got a point there Gambit!
PaulW

4th Nov 03 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true just most SPi's i have seen have dizzy's, mind there are 3 revisions of the C14NZ according to Vaux, so if it does have a coil pack, could be something else, was just going off my own experience
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going of my experiences, my hi-torq didnt have a dizzy
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
true just most SPi's i have seen have dizzy's, mind there are 3 revisions of the C14NZ according to Vaux, so if it does have a coil pack, could be something else, was just going off my own experience

Starter motor?
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy t, couple of things:-

when starting your car from cold, your not meant to give it any gas at all

same as when its warm

so if your are needing to give it gas when it cold just to get it to start then there is something up with the cold starting mechanism

do u need to give it gas to start when its warm?

Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you need to put your foot on the gas when starting from warm, i would say this is a compression problem.
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought it would!!! i had a flair b4 my sport!!! the flair had a control tube and the sport dont!!! mine had difficulty in the cold sometimes because i fcuked with the temps!!! a sport you dont have to mess with the temp..
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by leon_in_uk
thought it would!!! i had a flair b4 my sport!!! the flair had a control tube and the sport dont!!! mine had difficulty in the cold sometimes because i fcuked with the temps!!! a sport you dont have to mess with the temp..

what are you talkin about

[Edited on 04-11-2003 by Gambit]
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i took the sensor away from the pod!!!! and it didnt detect the normal intake,
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what sensor, that red wire? it only helps the engine heat up quicker, nothing else, and doesnt effect any temps
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i mean, the original post says THAT HE CANT START UP PROPERLY
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THAT DOES AFFECT STARTING AND WARMING THE ENGINE UP QUICKER, WHICH WOULD GIVE LESS REVS 2
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do i have to explain this again?
the car has problems starting from cold, ie left overnight

the little flap only helps the engine warm up once it has started by sucking warm air of the manifold

the manifold will only start to warm up after a few minutes idling

it is not related to this topic, as you cannot suck warm air of a cold manifold if it cant start

[Edited on 04-11-2003 by Gambit]
Gambit

4th Nov 03 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and stop shouting, your just making yourself look daft
leon_in_uk

4th Nov 03 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry im working at the mo with caps and couldnt be bothered to change it!!! just stating my probs with my startup!!!!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll