corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How many Do I Need ? (help needed)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How many Do I Need ? (help needed)
lucaskatana

User status: Offline
30th Oct 03 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have seen a headunit but it only has 1x pre-out if i want to have my components to the headunit and have an amp would i need to have 2x pre-outs ?
Melville

30th Oct 03 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you want to amp your components or run them straight off the h/u?

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by Melville]
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...basically mate, the number of preouts should be the same as how many amps you want in the car. Although 3 is the usual max you will get on a HU, if you want more than 3 amps you have to the start splitting the preouts and adding line drivers etc.
Dom
lucaskatana

30th Oct 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wanna run my cmponents stright of my headunit and still have an amp to power my 6x9s and 12" sub. so how would i do it ? or would i have to have them all connected to the amp. if so does it affect the bass or anything ?
Melville

30th Oct 03 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be 2 amplified speaker outputs on your h/u one for the front and one for the rears. The pre out is used to connect to a amp.
lucaskatana

30th Oct 03 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so your sayin that i can have the components striaght into the h/u and i can still have a amp ? (i am confused a little)
Fear

30th Oct 03 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you will connect RCAs from pre out on HU to the amp then just run your components on the standard wires as they run to the block which goes onto the back of your HU
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one preout will be fine, but you will need to make sure can get hold of a 4 channel amp that can be bridged as well as supplying to channels to you 6x9's.
Personally i would have two seperate amps, but then if you only have 1 preout you will need to have a line driver and split the preout.
It can get a little confussing at times mate, but you need to decide of what you are exactly having etc

For me, i went for a 3 preout HU...Front, Back and Sub as well as having the 4 channels that run from the HU. This was if i want to amp my comps i would take the front preout to my comps amp. Then if i had some back speaker amped i would use the back preouts. And sub, gets the sub preout since it will be filtered by the HU to only supply it a certain frequency (which can be adjusted)

Dom
lucaskatana

30th Oct 03 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can get a 4 channel amp easily.
i gotta power a 12" alpine sub (250watts) and 2x 6x9s(360watts). and ill just run the components of the headunit from the standard wires.

what wattage would the amp need to have to power the sub and 6x9s ?
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give use the models numbers at we can tell, since the 6x9's will NOT be 300w RMS, thats the max power (surely?). The 6x9's will be around teh 100wRMS mark.

Although if the sub is only 250w RMS, then a 350w or 400w RMS amp will do the job nicely. But like i said, give use exact RMS wattages and then we can start to suggest some amps
Dom

EDIT: Although having a look at 4 channel amps, i cant see anything that will enable you to bridge two of the channels yet have two channels for the 6x9s

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by VisibleMan]
lucaskatana

30th Oct 03 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the RMS is between 100 and 140 i aint got them with me at the moment they are in the garage.
on halfords website theres a 440 RMS amp would that be able to do the job with excess and then maybe i could ad anuva sub or sumthing ?
SRi_m00k

1st Nov 03 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it were me i would look out for a decent 4 ch and run the front speakers and the sub from it and just run the 6x9's off the HU for rear fill!!

or a 5ch could be used to run ur full system off one amp!! summat along lines of a genesis profile 5 would give u bags of power and sound quality!!

CopyWrite

1st Nov 03 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah what mook is sayin is nice, da comps need ampin the most not the 6x9's.
n id go for a 5 channel too.
itll sound much better and seem like the soundstage is right infront of u not behind u, as comps were designed to run off amps. (i think)

New Poll