corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Problems with white dials/blue led's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problems with white dials/blue led's
dousey

User status: Offline
20th Oct 03 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some blue led's to go behind speedo etc the other day from cobra148 so i thought i would get white dials at the same time. They look great. Problem is, when its pitch black outside and the lights are on, i can't see what speed i am going properly! takes a second or so to work out! Can anyone suggest anything? I was thinking i might have to take the blue led that is behind the speedo out, and replace it with a standard one.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Mo

20th Oct 03 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can u post some pics up of it.

cheers
dousey

20th Oct 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will, but wont be able to do this until tomorrow night
Mo

20th Oct 03 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

answer to your question - if it's pitch black outside and bright inside the car then it's take a sec or two for your eyes to adjust to the light and see properly
dousey

20th Oct 03 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah mate. How come you can see your speed etc instantly with standard dials/bulbs at night
Mo

20th Oct 03 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still think it's your eyes. cause if u can see the dials when it is lit up then there isn't a problem, but when your driving and u have a glance at the speedo your eyes can't adjust as fast to the blue light than it did with the white light.

that's my theory anyways.
dousey

20th Oct 03 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you can't really see the dials themselves, just blue circles where the dials are type of thing. Thanks for your help anyways
MoNkEy MaGiC

20th Oct 03 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had exact same problem as u mate!! wat colour are the markings/figures??? my dials were siver but the markings n figures were a dark orange so u can imagine a blue light trying to get thru the orange bits!! plus blue is not a bright colour for leds, u gonna have to get some dials that have got white/clear markings n figures, thats only way or use ur standard bulbs again!
the_legend_of_yrag

20th Oct 03 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also have white dials and put blue leds behind them. They didnt show up, it's because where the light comes thru th dials it's not clear its orange. Hence why white bulbs behind em look orangy.

Get some 10000mcd bulbs off cobra see if they work. I got some but havnt put em in yet as i lost one so only have two!
cobra148

20th Oct 03 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem with white dials is that they use orange for the numbers and markings. Blue light won't pass through orange, something to do with the light spectrum. The pic below is of my old blue Lockwood dials, these have white markings and the light passes through fine.
I'll have a play with some orange films and see what colours will pass through it ok.
Cursa

20th Oct 03 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's some (somewhat basic!) physics..... Orange things absorb all colours of light other than orange.... the orange light either passes through or is reflected (the same is true with all colours). Now, white light (from standard bulbs for example) is made up of ALL colours... the orange portion of which passes through the orange film. So, you will find that only orange light (or colours very similar) will pass through an orange film.
cobra148

20th Oct 03 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, so no light other than orange will pass through? How about ultra violet, any info on that?
Cursa

20th Oct 03 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well UV is just another colour, in the spectrum you have Infra red, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, ultra violet (in order of increasing frequency and energy and decreasing wavelength). You've got me a bit, but i reckon UV will be absorbed too, but it might cause it to glow a bit as UV does sometimes.... Strictly speaking, true UV is invisible, as is infra red.
Cursa

20th Oct 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something I missed, you might find say a yellow LED will pass though, but this is because it is emitting several different frequencies, some orange. However, it will appear quite dark as the amount of orange light emmited by a yellow LED is small. Similar things will happen with a red LED I reckon. Just written that cheque out for you now cobra!
Scotty_B

20th Oct 03 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it look like this at all. These are done using Cobras LEDs.
dousey

21st Oct 03 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will try and post a pic up tonight, so you can see what it's like. So if i tried puting some orange film behind them, this might work?
cobra148

21st Oct 03 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, its the orange numbers that are the problem, adding more orange won't cure it.
Noonster

21st Oct 03 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
Does it look like this at all. These are done using Cobras LEDs.

This looks tops..... I want mine to be like this - Cobra whats the price to get it looking like this with no hotspots - same for the MFD and Odometer - Im talking total price including delivery..... Just want to straight swap the bulbs no soldering and dont want Hotspots.

Thanks - Have money waiting

Also how easy are they fit.
cobra148

21st Oct 03 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want 4 for the dials and 2 for the mfd, I'm not sure what the odometer is like on the Corsa C. I'll do 4 regular leds for the dials and 2 diffused for the mfd, the diffused will prevent the "hotspot" on the Corsa C mfd, for a total of £9.30. Hey, forget the 30p and call it £9, post is on me.

How easy are they to fit? They are "plug and play" This means the leds come ready fitted in osram bulb holders exactly like the original bulbs and are a straight swap, they simply plug in, no soldering is required. Heck, they are so easy even my Mrs can change them

This is what they look like...
Noonster

21st Oct 03 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So will the 4 regular bulbs in the dials not give off hotsports then?? Would it not be better too have difussed in there also?? OH well your the expert

Will let you know asap about getting them - £9, sounds like a good deal to me
cobra148

21st Oct 03 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can put diffused in the dials if you want, they are the same price. Its only in the mfd that the hotspots occur, hence the diffused ones on there.
Noonster

21st Oct 03 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well are the diffused ones just as bright etc... and just as easy to fit....??

If so then mayas well go for them hadnt I..... what would you do - Your the expert
waynep

21st Oct 03 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paint the needles glow in the dark colour
cobra148

21st Oct 03 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diffused are exactly identical except the lens is slightly frosted. They are just as bright except the light beam isn't as concentrated. If your worried about it I can send you both types, you keep the ones that look best and return the others.
Noonster

21st Oct 03 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cobra - Now that sounds like a deal - Such a nice guy

Just need to get the confidence to fit them now before I order, the dials scare me

Seriously though - Which ones would you fit in your own dials cobra and why?? thanks.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll