corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Legal Tinting??

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legal Tinting??
Noonster

User status: Offline
21st Sep 03 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to clear something up.......

Im getting window tints on the 4th October
And just want to double check on the limit for the front windows, as some people say its 30% and others say its 35%.

So what is it.....

35% or 30% ???

If its 35%, do you think I will get away with having 33% tints??, as the ones I want are 33%. Obviously if the legal limit is 30% then I wont have a problem.

Cheers
diddon

21st Sep 03 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

35%
get a light smoke on the front
remember the windows have a manufactured tint of 7%.

Neshol

21st Sep 03 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 97 Corsa Sport. I'm pretty sure the windows have a slight tint on them already. Anyone know what percentage? Cheers
corsa-sxi

21st Sep 03 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, does it really matter, i had desert smoke 40 on fronts which has light transmission of 38% so i must have a light transmission of 32% then lol if they are tinted by 7% already?..well havent been pulled yet
kev_corsa

21st Sep 03 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

35% is NOT the legal limit!

Both me and my mate (dig dave2811 on here) have tints, I have 15% and he has 35%. We were parked up in a private car park and the poilce approached us and measured our windows using there light meter. Both of our tints were found not to be road legal despite my mates being 35%!!!!!

The cops told us that the front side windows infront of the B Pillar MUST let throught at least 70% of light!!!!!

My windows are also factory tinted, but the amount of light let through was still measured to be 15%.
corsa-sxi

21st Sep 03 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL mine let thru 40% at front and 20% at back , did u have to rip them off then?
mad_mike

21st Sep 03 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

legal limit on the front 2 side windows is 35%
Nothink allowed on the front window at all

Back 2 windows and back, anythink

allthough i recomend no darker than 15%
Adam-D

21st Sep 03 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know what percentage mine are
but ive got dark smoke all round.

and they r legal

[Edited on 21-09-2003 by Adam-D]
dig dave2811

22nd Sep 03 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no dark smoke is not legal.

i have light smoke as kev said above,(35%) and they are ILLEGAL,

and i quote what the cops said "THE FRONT SIDE WINDOWS, HAVE TO LET IN 70% OF THE LIGHT"

light smoke et in 35% hence they are illegal
dark smoke ket in 25% so they are illegal,

u get the point.

these cops were cool as well they didnt see anything wrong with noens etc and they even complained that sppedlimits were too low, so i dont think they were trying to scare us by say it has to be 70%
Richie

22nd Sep 03 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cops round ere arent too bad, we got the badge number of the guy that said neons were totally legal
Neshol

22nd Sep 03 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before you get the tints, see if you will have any comeback if you get pulled. They aint allowed to sell you something and claim it's legal when it isn't. Phone trading standards and fuck em over
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good Idea..... I will see what they say about getting the 33% tints as they look good with the backs I want, If they let me have them and say they are legal I wil make sure someones there, so I have someone to back me up
Neshol

22nd Sep 03 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it in writing mate
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea, will do
diddon

22nd Sep 03 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Noonster19
Good idea, will do

Noonster email your local police force and ask them. Then print out the email. You then have it in writing from the police
Gambit

22nd Sep 03 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont get tints and just keep the original green tint looks far classier imo
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just found this...... aparently 70% tints on the front is legal...... so there for probably everyone with window tints has illlegal tints. So therefore whether I get 35% tints or the 33% ones I want I will still be breaking the law. Do you think If I take a copy of the below with me when I get my tints done I willl get what I want or do you think they will not do it at all??

READ BELOW.....

Extract taken from the Department of Transport Website:

LIGHT TRANSMISSION OF GLAZING - Summary of requirements
Motor vehicles first used between 1/6/1978 and 31/3/1985 must have windows which allow at least 70% of light to pass through. Motor vehicles first used on or after 1/4/1985 must have windscreens which allow at least 75% of light to pass through - all other windows must admit at least 70% of light.
These requirements do not apply to:

any part of the windscreen outside the ‘vision reference zone’ (as defined in C&U# Regulation 32(13));

windows through which the driver is unable, at any time, to see the road;

windows in ambulances which are behind the driver’s seat;

windows in buses, goods vehicles, locomotives or motor tractors which are behind the driver’s seat (except those which face the rear - as defined by C&U# Regulation 32(12) - or which form all or part of an exterior door); and

windows in cars which are fitted behind the driver’s seat and which bear an ‘e’ mark indicating type approval to the European glazing Directive 92/22/EC.

Tinted film
C&U# Regulation 32 does not specifically prohibit any window from having a tinted film applied, but a window with a tinted film which takes light transmittance levels below those specified above could be interpreted as contravening the Regulation.

If a vehicle's windows were excessively tinted by the use of stick-on film or a spray, there may be a contravention of C&U# Regulation 30. This requires that all glass or other materials fitted must be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver. Again, it does not specifically prohibit those windows from having a tinted film applied, but doing so could be interpreted as contravening the Regulation.
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres the link to the full document.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/source/dft_roads_source_506860.doc

Page 12-14 is about glazing/tinting the windows
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive also been told that if you get the boot glass tinted at 5% (limo black) it makes the rest of your car look darker as thats blocking out loads of light...... dunno if its true or not??
corsa-sxi

22nd Sep 03 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what they told me, they say get 5% on backs and 40% on fronts ...but 40% only lets 40% light, not 70%
Neshol

22nd Sep 03 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you got that, you'd be able to see fuck all out the back when it's dark mate. Course you might not mind...
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been looking all over the net and this is getting very confusing....... im now reading that 35% light is the legal limit one place even said 25% is the legal limit on the fronts.......

Surely there must be somewhere that has the 100% facts, really want to get this sorted asap. Otherwise whats gonna be the point in getting tints if its nearly all illegal??
corsa-sxi

22nd Sep 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think some ppl say itother way round daz..like some say 35% is legal, some say 65% is legal.....Ie 35% maybe light transmission, the 65% may mean "tinted"
but im sure 35% light transmission is correct, as glasstint said thats the legal amount, they wont do anything lower on fronts, tw, the guy (john) who runs glass tint has 35% tints on his, (35% light transmission on his b-mer) and the woman who works there has 40% on fronts like mine, so im sure its the case of the wrong interpretation
Savinforcorsaproject

22nd Sep 03 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my m8 GOT The heavyist tint on all 4 and back and police pulled him twice for no seatbelt but didntsaynuttin about it.
Noonster

22nd Sep 03 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not wrong interpretation mate..... according to the law you have to let 70% of light through. So how can 30%/40% etc... be legal?? It cant.

Also didnt know Glass Tint did a 35% tint, I have all the samples here and the only one around 35% is 33% which is the one I want.

Really dont know what to do now, as most tints seem to be breaking the law.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll