corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » still got oil problems

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author still got oil problems
Trigger

User status: Offline
20th Sep 03 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as u may of read the other week i had a topend rebuild with new stem seals gaskets followers engine decoke and valves recut to try and cure oil consumption when i got it back it was fine it done 400 miles with out loosing a drop now i have to fill it up weekly again what could be the problem please dont say piston rings as i want to keep away from more expense the thing i cant workout is it dos'nt smoke enough to loose the amount of oil that it is loosing i had someone follow me up th A3 and thay said they saw no smoke the whole way and then i told them to look 4 smoke y i booted it away from cold just a little smoke he said no more than any other car can anyone offer any suggestions to the cause thank u (corsa gsi 94)
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were the valve stem seals glued to their place? how much the engine is been driven?
Trigger

20th Sep 03 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well its been driven in 1400km in last month always kept under 3500 rpm cos running in nearly all motorway miles couldnt tell u if they been glued. i just cant work it out mate surley to loose a ltr of oil a week it would have to smoke like a c@nt
Trigger

20th Sep 03 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry 14000km this month
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so like 3500km per week?and a litre of oil? sounds pretty bad but its lots of km/litre of oil. valve stem seals have jumped out of their place? i had just the same fault, oil consumption.

there is no leak under the car?
Trigger

20th Sep 03 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate ill get him to have a look so why do the seals have to be glued
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos in vaux its a typical fault. they will jump out othervise. and many guys have said to me that if the head is in its place while doing valve stem seals, they will jump out cos its impossible to get all of the oil out of underneath the valve stem seal and if there is oil it will jump out... i had mine done 10000km ago and just got my car off the garage* total rebuilt, full head rebuilt, piston rings, bearings on downstairs, everything...*, and always use vaux own valve stem seal dont go for cheaper, cos they will wear in no time. valve stem seals will only give smoke if there is enough rpm, f ex. hit the pedal with 1 gear and go till redline change to 2 and get somebody to look at, it will give smoke near redline and when chancing..

and do something to it cos what happened to me is that the oil went too low sometime and bearings in downstair got too hot and were fcuked, pistonring too... it was near that if i had drive like 2000-4000km more it would have been like new engine or so...
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glue is something very special, couldnt find out what they used, but something like superglue wont work

its something wich can handle lots of heat and oil...

maybe someone knows?
Trigger

20th Sep 03 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate cheers
matt_jonesuk

20th Sep 03 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine needs toppin up with oil every 1000 miles has done since ive had it for the last year and since my nan had it 3 yrs previous to that
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

matt, my valves and everything were in such a crap that you wouldnt believe...
they were just 10000km ago cleaned and it was a total mess...
matt_jonesuk

20th Sep 03 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is mine also gives out no noticable fumes at all even when u start it u can see no smoke whatsoever never seen blacksmoke at all come out of it
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine did give nice puff out when starting...and when flooring.
Juha GSi

20th Sep 03 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but if it does consume oil it has to go somewhere...

but it did irritate me and was good that it did, cos it was at the last moment...

but youll never know, might be something harmless, just taking some oil, no one knows for sure, until engine is in thousand parts.
matt_jonesuk

20th Sep 03 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know and to get the engine in a thousand parts wouldnt be worth the labour costs

i know its going somewhere dunno where though doesnt make sense because literally its the cleanest looking air comin out the exhaust not a tint of grey u cant actually see anything coming out the exhaust and there are no leaks whatsoever.
Juha GSi

21st Sep 03 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes when my car was idling *and drinking lots of oil* there wasnt any kind of fumes just pure exhaust, but when flooring its was different thing...

what i can say now its expensive around £700*dont know sure yet*
but was definately worth it in my case... its lots of money* and all out of something else...* but now its lot differend in sound, there is no othere sounds just engine running, if you know what i mean.
also feels lots healthier when driving.

but as i said it can be something harmless...

in my case it wasnt, it was just before it was too late.
MoNkEy MaGiC

21st Sep 03 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi mate ive got EXACTLY same problem as you!!!!!!!!

my Gsi 1994 which has done about 80,000miles so far, has got same problem as yours!??? but mine leaks if i top it up over the max mark!!

the oil just goes! the engine is a mess can see the oil lealing from gaskets and the gear box area is covered in oill!!!
only smokes wen i floor it to the Redline!!!

ive noticed the oil gets lower quicker when i drive at higher revs, as i have been driving on a lot of motorways lately!!?

ive heard the Gsi corsas are common for these oil problems, my mates one had same problem but he never bothered fixing it and the engine just packed in, had to get a new engine conversion!!!

i was told that my head gaskets and valve stem seals are gone! and the bores and piston rings shud be checked to!

hope its sorted after this???
Juha GSi

21st Sep 03 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its problem with corsas 1.6 engines especially*also with earlier 2.0 engines.*

what is a cure to yours problem is:

get the WHOLE head rebuilt, get them to check everything in it, cos once its engine open its not that much cost to that anyway.

ask them to glue those valve stem seals to head, if they are not familiar with it, go somewhere else. cos this is what causes the most of the problems, otherwise they will jump out and oil level gets low -> worst option is transplant if it goes too low...*mine was almost there*

once the head has been taken out, ist so little more to check pistonrings and bore too, cos if oil has at some point dropped too low, f ex. in motorway, it might be so that pistonrings *worst is the pistons themselves*has fried, and if you dont check them at the same time, oil consumption stays the same, if they are fried.
and with the miles you have id still get them changed cos it brings some lost power back, its not much £ to that if you are doing the full package. i didnt go for vaux parts, i get from nameless manufacturer, almost same quality but less money spent.but dont go for the cheapest pistonrings.

and last but not the least its very important at this point,since the whole engine is in parts anyway, to check downstair bearings, doesnt cost much, but if they have suffered ist good to get them there too, mine main bearings had gone too hot at some point and had terrible marks on them...

it will cost but its definately different engine after that...

and when doing that youll get all those oil leaks out cos if its in parts,youll have to put new gaskets in all places.

[Edited on 21-09-2003 by Juha GSi]
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Sep 03 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so basically i need to....

1-basically whole head needs checking and if so rebuilding
2-skim head
3-head gaskets
4-valve stem seals+glue them to the actual head
5-check if bores ok
6-bearings
7-piston rings
8-worst case actual piston rings need replacing

best to use original vauxhall gm parts

and after all this my car shud be perfect right???

is this all correct or need anything adding,if so please let me know???
as this is what im gonna tell the garage so that he knows what im talking about and doesnt try rip me off!!

how much will this all cost roughly???

[Edited on 22-09-2003 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Juha GSi

22nd Sep 03 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus obviously all engine gaskets and new head and con rod bolts. might as well get them to check dowstair bearings too and get new ones if any sings of trouble in there.
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Sep 03 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate

any idea how much all this might cost as a rough idea???
Juha GSi

22nd Sep 03 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for me, but in finland opel*vauxhall* garage it was roughly*havent got the payment yet* £700.. but i guess it will be around that but depending whos doing that and is it a vaux garage or not.
miles

22nd Sep 03 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loads and loads. Your basically having a full engine rebuild if you do that. Take it back to who built the head and see what they say. Did they check the bores when the head was off?

If your doing 14,000 km and losing 1litre of oil then there is no problem. You shoud be changing your oil every month as well.

Valve stem seals shouldnt be gluded in place, they are not designed to be. When valve stem seals leak, they leak through the hole the valve goes through, not through the connection to the head. If they come off then they will virtually be pushed back on when the valve cgoes down anyway.

I use a bit of oil on my freshly built engine, when its been on a rolling road above 7k it smokes quite badly, the tuner said not to worry and he reckons its coming from the top end (i used cheapo stem seals)

Check the spark plugs.

If there is no smoke and no physical leak then something odd is going on!!!
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Sep 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea theirs no physical smoke really, but yes i can see the whole engine covered in oil!! so theirs deffinatly some sort of leak from somewhere, i reckon its the head gaskets, also oil is getting in the cylinders coz spark plugs were gunky like??
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Sep 03 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FCUK ME! 700quid

is that for the FULL rebuild???

what if pistons are ok and the head is ok or just needs skiming but not actually replacing????

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll