corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Air Bag Warning Light On (Electric Experts?)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Air Bag Warning Light On (Electric Experts?)
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
7th Aug 03 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

When I had my electric windows put in, the entire car loom was replaced with the donor cars. This looked identical. However, one cable from the dash loom had no home. This was the rear lights and the reverse light. This was modifed so it would work.

Problem is now, that the looms don't match - ie the two halfs where they join under the passenger kick panel - they look ok, but obviously something is wrong - is that the air bag light is on. If i can't get it sorted I'm gonna have to pay Vaux to fix it at its service which i really don't wanna do!! Ive an MOT too but heard air bags arent covered.

I think its that there is no longer any power to the air bag. Has anyone ANY ideas as to what it may be - is it the power or something else? no wires were taken outt of the steering colum or the airbag control unit- just the loom in the car.

Need this sorted incase i crash!

ANY advice would be appreciated folks

[Edited on 07-08-2003 by Mav 3000]
cobra148

8th Aug 03 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry can't help with the electrical problem, but if your airbag warning light is on, the car will fail its MOT.
Terry

8th Aug 03 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like your just going to have to get it fixed at service, probably the safest thing to do

End of the day, spend a few quid getting it fixed, rather than a few months mending yourself, when you crash
Kerry

8th Aug 03 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont know if this will help u but when i got my car my airbag light was on so i took it to my mate at vauxhall and he got it on tech 2 and reset it. he told me that on some vehicles if the power supply is broken to the air bag system and then reconnected this could put the air bag light on, Or that the airbag light can come on when there is a "power surge". and that while ever the light is on the airbag will not go off in an accident. after he reset it the light never came on again.

[Edited on 08-08-2003 by Kerry]
Mav 3000

8th Aug 03 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thansk for the advice everyone. I think I'll do what Kerry suggested and take it into Vauxhall with my cheque book!
Sam
Premium Member

8th Aug 03 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suspect that you may have disturbed some wiring to the airbag ECU thing, hence why the warning light on your dash is on.

As Kerry says, take it to Vauxhall and get them to reset it on Tech2, should only take a few minutes (handy if you have a mate at Vauxhall, otherwise you will have to pay at least 1/2 hour labour!).
Mav 3000

8th Aug 03 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh no - I know im gonna have to pay gor half an hours labour! But I think Tech2 is the only way.

Should i take it in now while its quiet in the week or should i wait for the Service and MOT and do it all at once?

the lights quite annoying!!

Cheers Sam btw
Sam
Premium Member

8th Aug 03 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May as well get it done while you got other stuff to do, they might have a bit of blood in their veins and not charge you extra for resetting the airbag ECU on Tech2 as you're already spending a lot of money with them!
Mav 3000

8th Aug 03 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats true. Just gotta look in my log book and see when the Service is actually due. First one since my new suspension. Last one, needed a new backbox een thos it was only 3 years old, apparently it had corroded on the inside.

Needless to say im going to a different garage this time! but last time I went to this new garage they charged me £95 to fit a new front light custer! £50 labour!

I'm scared of Vauxhall this is gonna be expensive!
Sam
Premium Member

8th Aug 03 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's something that only Vauxhall can sort out, I normally buy the parts from Vauxhall, and take it to my mechanic for him to fit on my car.

He only charges me £30 an hour, plus I trust him (as I don't trust Vauxhall to work on my car), and I get the parts from Vauxhall at trade price or cheaper!
Adam-D

8th Aug 03 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u a airbag?
and
if you dont jus tek the bulb out and itll pass mot
Kerry

8th Aug 03 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

moddedcorsa

8th Aug 03 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
dont know if this will help u but when i got my car my airbag light was on so i took it to my mate at vauxhall and he got it on tech 2 and reset it. he told me that on some vehicles if the power supply is broken to the air bag system and then reconnected this could put the air bag light on, Or that the airbag light can come on when there is a "power surge". and that while ever the light is on the airbag will not go off in an accident. after he reset it the light never came on again.

this happened wen i tried to replace my wheel with a momo one (found out i had wrong boss, so std wheel went bk on) airbag light was on, took it to a garage (not vaux, so ask around, other places will be much cheaper if they have the equipment) and they plugged it into some sort of diagnostics thing and reset the light)

[Edited on 08-08-2003 by moddedcorsa]
Mav 3000

8th Aug 03 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds promising - thanks guys. I've been tld to take the bulb out too - but although it may stop the annoying light in my peripheral vision, I'd sooner have an airbag in the event of an accident!

Could i sell the car knowing the airbag won't work - no!
Kerry

8th Aug 03 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought car with light on its up to buyer at end of day. the guy eho sold me car told me he tought it was seatbelt light

dont remove bulb just for sake of it its not safe
Mav 3000

9th Aug 03 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed. I'll get Vauxhall to ut it on Tech2 when it goes in for its annual service in September.

Thanks for the help.
Kerry

9th Aug 03 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anytime

New Poll