corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » The Big CS Install Thread (With Pics!)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Big CS Install Thread (With Pics!)
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 03 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a CD changer, and soon I'll have an amp. I'll bebuying some nice 6x9's when they reach no.1 on my priority list, but right now I'm looking into making a false floor for my changer and amp.

I'm designing it in 3D Studio Max to scale, but need the amp to get its dimensions.

What I wish to do with this little thread is ask loads of dumbass questions about making the floor and how to do it best etc. I'll ask one or two questions at a time and by the end, I'll hopefully have a nice boot

So firstly...

..Im gonna go out and buy some MDF. Am I right in thinking the false floor just sits in the boot or do you have to secure it to the car itself? I want to make it in two halfs like Daimo's so I can take it out if I ever need the spare. So is it ok just to sit it on the bottom of the boot or will it rattle?

[Edited on 26-07-2003 by Mav 3000]

[Edited on 14-10-2003 by Mav 3000]
jm960326

23rd Jul 03 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres a few pics from corsasri16v car before its all fixed together if that helps

Hope this gives a bit of a before and after view. Think best way is secure it but make it accessible, so easy to pull apart if needed yet solid enough not to move. Not done one myself so cant say from experience, sorry.

[Edited on 23-07-2003 by jm960326]
Vaux-MD

23rd Jul 03 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

If you'd like to look at all these links you might get some ideas for your boot build. The best advice we can give is to take your time. My boot floor alone took 2 of us 3 days to decide on the design and build the wood work. The metalwork alone took a day driving about getting it welded and cut to size.

install

floor

my old Astra

We hope these help to give you some ideas
corb

23rd Jul 03 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my false floor wasnt secured down, just fitted very snugly into the boot.
Mav 3000

24th Jul 03 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the pictures and advice people!

How exactly and where is the best place to secure the bottom level of the false floor to the car? I like the idea of having two side panels and a central-removable panel allowing access to the spare.
Vaux-MD

24th Jul 03 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you saw we used wooden battons with metal brackets. These we secured directly to the floor of the car with selftappers. Drill a hole and drive in the screw, take it back out, dip it in Kurust and put it back in the hole. If you have a mate helping you can tap around til you find a safe place to drill, away from the brake pipes etc.
Mav 3000

25th Jul 03 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that.

With the amp, and its need for ventilation, is it ok to make rectangular 'slats' in the perspex cover to allow air to flow in and out?

If I use fans will 12v DC computer fans be ok, and where would I put them? ie face up on the bottom of the false floor, at the side of the amp (will they be too tall for this?) Thanks in advance!
Mav 3000

25th Jul 03 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres the picture of what I'd like my finished boot to look like. This has been desined to scale:

Finished Boot:

And here's what I think it may look like underneath the floor:

If anyone can advise me on how to make this possible, amplifier ventilation etc then please can you help me as I'm not too clever with this stuff. Also, I'd like to keep access to the spare wheel - how could I do this?

Comments welcome. I'm not after a huge install or a sub before ppl say - I just want a nice neat install, with maybe neons ambiently lighting the amp from under the floor - the neans wired to the bot light so they turn on when the boot is open etc.
Mav 3000

25th Jul 03 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW the idea behind the Changer is that it lies on a panel of MDF attached to the main sub-floor via a small piano hinge (a very small hinge that sits flush) and can be lifted up manually in order to get CD's in and out. I like Symmetry
Mav 3000

26th Jul 03 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New idea: A lot more easiy to install, better access to the CD changer, maintains boot space, access to the spare wheels (well more than before) and looks ok too I think.

Whats everyone think to this:

[Edited on 26-07-2003 by Mav 3000]
PainZ

26th Jul 03 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whata re you making these 3d models in?
Mav 3000

27th Jul 03 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3D Studio Max I take photos of the equipment, measure the things I would like to model and hey presto

If you've any questions please ask - If I can help I will.

Which install does everyone think is the best?
corb

27th Jul 03 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd
Mav 3000

27th Jul 03 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Corb. I plan to put it into practise in the next few weeks depending on how funds are (need to upgrade my rear speakers, shealth shelf (but have MOT, Serive, Tax and Insurance all in 6 weeks )

Should I put perspex over the amp - suspended like or should I do the alternative - cover the top flat bit up with clear adhesive paper to scratch-protect it?

Cheers,
PainZ

27th Jul 03 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where can i get it from,

i want it
Mav 3000

28th Jul 03 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get it off of Kazaa - 70mb ish with no textures, about 250mb ith textures. I use a digi-cam to get all my own textures for authenticity - ie you need to be good in PSP or photoshop too in order to get the most out of it.

It's taken me about 2 years of messing about in it to get to the stage where I can accurately model stuff. It's fun for messing around in, but you need a very high-spec pc to render large video (my last video was one minutes long and took me 4 days to render non-stop.

It takes a while to adjust to working in 3D but once you do its excelent fun, you can do all sorts of tricks.

Antoher cool program is called Maya - they used this to make the film Spiderman.

Lightwave 3D is also ok - they used this for films like Armageddon.

3DS is ok for my needs though. I can post pics of other things I've made if you like.
Mav 3000

1st Aug 03 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Again,

Some new questions for you:

1) Where can you buy velcro pads iseal for securing the install boxes to the carpet from?

2) Speeding.co.uk sell 2x1m carpet for £19.99 - is this good vlaue? they also sell spray adhesive for £13.99 a can for sticking it down.

3) I have a 4 channel amp. The Autoleads amp wiring kit for about £20 is for a 2 channel amp - does this mean I'll need another RCA cable? I know i will need more speaker cable.

4) If I thread the front speakers speaker wire down the right hand side of the car will I be able to run the left speakers cable through the back of the dash ok under the steering clumn and behind the HU etc?

Are they good prices above?

Thanks guy's. I'll be starting the project soon.
Mav 3000

5th Aug 03 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got my MDF and have marked it out. I bought 12mm but realise this is a bit to thick and VERY heavy! I'm using 12mm as the base and 6mm on the top.

If you could answer my questions above I'd really appreciate it!

Also, I realise my design may lead to the two units sliding horisontally in the boot! I could screw this down but to help keep it 'quickly removable' I was gonna put a carpetted beam down the end of the bot holding the two bts apart - ie down the front of the boot floor pressing against each box.

TTT anyway
AdiSRI

5th Aug 03 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VELCRO!

Can u take and post some pics of your work so far mate as i am doing a similar thing this week! We can share ideas as we go LOL. I have 2 amps and a sub to go in, but no changer.

[Edited on 05-08-2003 by AdiSRI]
Mav 3000

5th Aug 03 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah sure. I'm off down Focus DIY to buy some thinner MDF this afternoon. I spend yesterday making carboard templates to get the curves of my boot accuate. Yest afternoon I outlined them on the 12mm MDF (If I bought it again i'd buy thinner for sure!) and its now ready to cut out. I used one whole sheet of 3' x 2' MDF for the amp base and the changer base, but the amp will sit on a cross-hatched stand so it sits at the same height of the changer.

the side panels will be cut from another 12mm panel of MDF, one end tapered cos of the seats. the tops will be cut later as i need them t be exact, the curves up there may be different from the base etc.

I'll take a few pictures. Not much to see so far though. I'm pretty brke, need an amp wiring kit, carpet, spray adhesive, velco, want 6x9s, stealth shelf, alloys, no job currently, oh, and its 34oC!

I'll keep you updated on the progress though.
AdiSRI

5th Aug 03 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff m8, so u think 8mm or so MDF wud be thick enough?

Are u making a single floor of the boot as i have heard that its hard to find carpet big enough??how big a piece of MDF do u need roughly to line the boot??
Mav 3000

5th Aug 03 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just got some 6mm MDF - it has very little flex in it and seems good enough for the top. Ideally Id have bought 6mm all the way, but as I've some 12mm I'll use that for the base.

3foot x 2foot of 6mm was £3.80. 3x2 9mm is £5.00 and 3x2 12mm is £5.99. thats from Focus DIY - I'm sure there's cheaper out there. I'd try Wickes or somewhere like that.
Mav 3000

7th Aug 03 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im thinking of puttig a pair of Neons in my install - as I'm thinking of putting in those chrome Audiobahn 6x9s at a later stage in a stealth shelf.

If I did id buy a pair of like 6" blue neons and put them at the front of the bot next to the amp and changer on thse little stands and have them facing itno the boot to light it up.

Would it be ok to wire the two neons to the live feed coming from the boot light? or do i need some other wiring?

Cheers for any help!
drunkenfool

7th Aug 03 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be fine wiring them to the 12v from the boot, and that way they would only come on when the boot is open and your hard work is on show! If they come with a cigarette adaptor thing, dont cut the big plug on the end off, you need that to make it work! If you need to, try and take the plastic casing off it, and wire up the 12v feed to the 2 metal connectors in it. Good luck too
Mav 3000

7th Aug 03 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll