corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » I Now Have Electric Windows!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I Now Have Electric Windows!
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
21st Jun 03 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

As regular readers will be aware, I've been trying since February to get Electric Windows into my Corsa. Well today, I've finally got them installed!

Took them to a guy recommended by Rick V6 in Derby. Started work at 1pm, finished at 7pm!

We had to replace the entire car loom from the dash loom connector right through the car - including taking out the seats, the majority of the boot and anywhere else the loom went!

Windows went in no problems after this, and work fine. Little slow going up but I guess its the weight of the glass.

The Electric Mirrors don't have the heating elements working as we couldn't fit the relay into the fuse box, as Air Con stuff prevented us getting it in ithout major dash removal

There however a few problems: firstly, the brake lights and rear fog wouldn't work - this is becasue the dash part of the loom does not match the car loom that we ut in - different plug for some reason (even though donor car was '97 R Reg GLS 5dr)

The other problem is that the air bag now doesn't work - don't know why - apparently there is no live feed. We didn't know how to get around this so I now have a new little red light on my dash all the time!

Last problem is one of my doors no longer has a working central locking thing. I don't know if this has been like it for a while or if the wiring has effected it, but its connected to the new loom ok. Any ideas? I have 2 spare central locking solenoids so will try these, but the rear doors are a total nightmare to get into - I really don't want this hassle!

Other than that, and the fact it took so long and was nightmare, all is now ok. Was it worth all the hassle? probably not
T2NY X

21st Jun 03 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so u got the window control on the passenger side and the drivers side a little button or have u got it in the middle so u can control the left and right window like beemers and mercs have?
stupid question i kno but i wouldnt mind knowing.
u will think it was worth the hassle in the boiling summer days wen u jus press a button and ur window opens. Instead of windin it for ever!
lol
greycorsa

21st Jun 03 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not worth the hassle mate. look at the other probs u have got all coz of these leccy windows. i wudnt have dun it.
Mav 3000

21st Jun 03 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree greaycorsa, but I also agree with TonyD.

I have used genuine vauxhall stuff, so the switches are on the doors like on higher, more priviledged models!

I'f I'd have known it wuld have been this much hassle I would never have done it or estarted, but because I started I got obsessed and had to follow it through to completion.

Cost me about £180 in total for windows, mirrors, fitting and the looms. Only problem is the problems I've now got, and the fact I have a 3dr kit for sale still (hopefully not for long!) and a mirror heat replay which cost me 30 which I now can't use or don't need!

I hate modifying cars!
greycorsa

21st Jun 03 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u shudda sold ur motor and got a GLS or CDX 1
Mav 3000

21st Jun 03 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed!

Infact, Why didn't I?
Kiddy_Corsa

22nd Jun 03 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much do you think it will cost for a 3dr?
and do you there will be as many problems?
Makarus

22nd Jun 03 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah an after market kit is generally a better idea, does the same job but is made to be wired in easily after you have the car, vauxhall parts are planned to be wired in whilst the car is being built.
M4tt

22nd Jun 03 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you wire up an aftermarket kit into vauxhall buttons?

MattyB

22nd Jun 03 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

worth it?? I mean, i would have prefered to have spent that cash on some nice ICE etc. Manual really aint so bad, i can prob wind my windows up/down quicker that any electric system.

Oh, and u now have nice holes in ur door cards where the winders used to be :S

Matt
MattyB

22nd Jun 03 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M4tt - yes, this is possible. My friend done this on his saxo (but with citreon buttons). Looks and works like the real thing.

Basically a switch is the same, what eva it is used for. ie: two contacts, that mean when the button is pushed, the circuit is completed. The only thing is the vauxhall buttons are illuminated, so they wud just require an extra positive feed.

If i really wanted to install e/w (which i really dont), then i just buy the 3 door stuff (from within the door) and the door plug. The whole loom is already installed on mine, i wudnt need to change a thing.

unlucky mav mate

Matt
Mav 3000

22nd Jun 03 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I've just been out sealing up my door cards - the motors are quite loud hopefully when i put my foam filled door cards back on that'll shut them up a bit!

Yes my door cards now have two holes in them and there £50 each new! I could try looking for a 5dr electric window door card pair in et black, but I think im gonna blow about £80 on Cobra retrim material

It's cost me loadsbut now, apart from no air bag, I'm hapy there in!

Still got a perfect genuine 3dr window kit for sale I've gone one interested party at the minute, but happy to get a reserve buyer

I should have got a CDX - new loom still doesn't have heated seat wiring!

I have the ICE I want, just wanted the leccy windows. its dead handy being able to open the passenger side from the drivers seat - ideal for curb crawling - er - i mean asking directions

This has been draggin on for ages no dor cards since Easter when i planned to fit them - it escalated from there!

Cheers for the reply's guys.

[Edited on 22-06-2003 by Mav 3000]
jjcymru

22nd Jun 03 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fitted my genuine vauxhall electric windows in no about 3 hours, the motors are quiet, swift and trouble free.
morty

22nd Jun 03 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mav have you checked all the fuses are okay and although the wiring loom is from the same MY of car it could have had different option kit so may have had a different loom.

If your wanting to sell your car I have a N-Reg Corsa Gsi going for around £3500 41K miles all genuine with fvsh oil change every 3K miles full electrics even the sunroof.

Darren
Mav 3000

22nd Jun 03 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping my kit would take 3 hours - and fitting just the motors and wiring etc probably took less than 3 due to me going to a professional, but the loom took 3 as well! Oh well!

I think the motors will be quieter once the door cards are back on - as now I'm basically 6 inches from them with so insulation at all!

Morty, I'd like a fully specced Corsa, but I can't go vrom a '99 V to a 95 N - sorry. Our family has had N, R, V and now 51 reg Corsas - all improving each time.

Thats got very low milage though for an 'N'!
M2RTY

23rd Jun 03 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate all u needed to do was buy an aftermarket e/w kit and connect it to the corsa switches, easy
Mav 3000

23rd Jun 03 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an aftermarket window kit (motors and regs) but was told that the switches would blow as the power levels were different or something.

I could have done with that advice about 4 months ago Marv!
M2RTY

27th Jun 03 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope - power is the same, if its not, easy enuff to do!!
M4tt

27th Jun 03 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where can i buy an aftermarket electric window kit from?

cause i've found a 3 door corsa with electric buttons and that at me local scrappie.

i haven't got the right looms and don't fancy the hassle of what Mav 3000 has been through!

cheers
vauxtillidie

27th Jun 03 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i made my own leccy window/central locking loom. took a while to figure out wot wire goes where etc but did it in the end and all works fine and cost me 50quid, the hardest bit is gettin the wires thru the mulitplug on the doors!
SRi_m00k

27th Jun 03 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jeez i was thinkin of this meself but fcuk dat!!!

too much hassle!!!

aftermarket kit will be the way i reckon!!
Mav 3000

27th Jun 03 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only difficult if you don't have the loom in your car. if you do its as simple as fitting a third party kit.
M2RTY

28th Jun 03 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clifford etc do them

i belive maplins do a 2 or 4 door kit also

fuck the multiplug, i drilled them out
SRi_m00k

29th Jun 03 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000
It's only difficult if you don't have the loom in your car. if you do its as simple as fitting a third party kit.

but how do u know wat sorta loom is in ur motor??

any really easy way to check?? or wat do i look for?? mines a 95 SRi 16V but didnt have PAS or EW etc so i thatw wuda been different loom to sport etc which have air con and the lot?? (i know not all of em but later ones did)

New Poll