corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Power Caps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Power Caps
westsidecorsa

User status: Offline
18th May 03 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am thinking of getting a power cap but just wondered if it is worth it, i am running a jensen 600W amp and two 400w JBL competition subs, when i turn up the system my heaqdlights and all the other lights in the car dim. Is the aim of a power cap to stop this sort of thing, and how do u wire one up?
Thanx in advance
TOMAS

18th May 03 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A powercap is the last thing you want to fit. THE best soloution is to firstly upgrade the altenator to one with a higher output, biggest ive seen for a Corsa B is 70A out of a diesel.

Then upgrade 'the big three' wires under the bonnet, these are the one's that go to the altenator/earth and battery.

Then upgrade the battery, to one with a higher cold cranking amps rating, also larger capacity will help things. Some people use two batteries, one mounted in the boot which is dedicated to to powering JUST the audio side of things. The bonus of this is that if you fit a relay between the two batteries then you can park up with the engine off, and crank the stereo all night and you still have the front battery fresh and ready for you to drive off etc even when the audio battery in the boot is flat. Ive done this step... fitted an Optima "yellow top" battery in my boot but i havent upgraded the altenator. My system seems to cope VERY well indeed, i currently have three LARGE amps installed with two more at home waiting to go in.

The last step is to fit a powercap which helps smooth Voltage out, this is just the finishing touch really to a perfect electrical system.

To be honest i'd recomend the new altenator, you'll be able to pick a second hand one up for around £60ish and this should make the BIGGEST difference so long as youre battery is in good health. Good luck mate...
westsidecorsa

18th May 03 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks a lot, that has cleared things up for me. Your system sounds the bomb! do u have any pics of it?
TOMAS

18th May 03 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah dont have any pictures, my ICE is my pride and Joy... Not had a proper 'permanent' build done in the boot yet as im still not completely happy with my install and still a lot more stuff to go in... Rear speakers (when i make my mind up where they are going) and also a pair of 8" mid-bass drivers running up-front somewhere where they'll fit! Also the decision wether to run a dolby 5.1 decoder with the multi-media side of things. £3.5k spent and A LOT more work needed...
westsidecorsa

18th May 03 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quality, i would love to hear that! if u get any pics get em posted as i would love to see this work of art!
FLETCH...

19th May 03 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what u talking about thomas

a power cap is a good idea it dont allow the bass to drop and also my lights dont dim........

here mine...... its a rockford fosgate £180

TOMAS

19th May 03 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A powercap will do jack if the power isnt their in the first place!! Play a 20-30sec test tone on full and watch youre voltage drop mate. Just a rip-off band-aid, they might help with the lights dimming but once the power from the cap is sucked out it wont do anything! Just go and play some test tones through youre sony jobs and you'll see exactly what i mean. I dont talk SHITE so watch what youre implying.
TOMAS

19th May 03 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another point... i just noticed the reading on youre CAP and it says 12v. Im assuming that this is at rest. Well my Optima yellow top puts out 12.8V AT REST and WONT drop below 12v with a peak amp pull of 260A! Try that with youre electrical system if you can get enough amps to pull 260 A
FLETCH...

19th May 03 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fir play tomas my appologies accepted?
TOMAS

20th May 03 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FLETCH...

20th May 03 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JayC

20th May 03 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have only upgraded my battery and have a 1 farad powercap and i'm running a AudioBahn 4channel amp for my speakers and a MTX class D mono block running my DB Audio bandpass box. When i put bass cd's on my voltage neva drops below 12.5 volts even on a 20-30 sec bass test tone. Oh yeah i have 4 gauge power and ground cables. Will b upgrading my alt soon so we'll see if that makes any difference.
TOMAS

20th May 03 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The alt should make a big difference. Was that 12.5 volts with the engine off (at rest) because mines at rest. Although the Optima yellow top is rated at 12v its actually way more like 13v AT REST! The best £200 ive spent in my system i think.

New Poll