corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New Steering Rack.. Still problems....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Steering Rack.. Still problems....
pandamoanium

User status: Offline
15th May 03 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a new steering rack put in a few weeks ago, the issue i have is when driving over any uneven road the steering wheel moves allot. So if i go on straight road but it is uneven and a let go of the steering wheel the car veers off to all directions and does not feel like it holds the road? Could this still be the steering rack or what else could be the issue. some times it feels like the wheels work independentley of each other ?? Help please..
DIGGIDY

15th May 03 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've lowered and stiffened your car then this is what happens...

Theres not a lot you can do about it. normaly the suspension counteracts most of the movement in the steering wheeel that is transmitted from the road, however small... by lowering and stiffing the suspension more movement is transmitted to the steering wheel thus giving the effect you talk about.
pandamoanium

15th May 03 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as i know the car has not been lowered or stiffened, so not to sure what it is then ???
DIGGIDY

15th May 03 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For an extreme example take a rally car on a straight dirt track that is slightly uneven... you will always see the driver correcting the steering, this has nothing to do with speed. this is purly the undulations on the surface projucing a force againt the wheel which is tranmitted thru the rack to the s-wheel which requires an adjustment to counteract it.
Mark Petty

15th May 03 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you got wide wheels? as i find my steering moves depending on the condition of the road and because my wheels are wider than normal i notice it more.
DIGGIDY

15th May 03 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just changing to 17's will also have the same effect but slightly less... or it will give you the tram line effect... which is commen with most oversized alloys..
pandamoanium

15th May 03 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thx for the help.... Seems it is a norm and i should not worry about it then... I have 195/45/R15's s could be them then......

New Poll