corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Used car market after COVID-19

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Used car market after COVID-19
SetH

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 20 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

That's a disco parked in front, that would make a much better zombie smasher

Ah could not quite tell, I thought I was staring at a big black work van. Not a BBC before ojc gets excited
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:
quote:

I'd love an E46 M3 CS

Its all about the M2 competition. Basically an evolved E46 M3

I'd love to test drive one, minus salesman of course. These cars only show you their talents approaching the limits. a chug around town and a little pull up to 70mph on a dual carriage way is a waste of time. I can kind of visualise how it will be better than the M4 CP, certainly on the roads around here.

Guy at works got one, he originally intended to get an M4, the M2 just blew it away.
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

That's a disco parked in front, that would make a much better zombie smasher

Ah could not quite tell, I thought I was staring at a big black work van. Not a BBC before ojc gets excited

Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to try a M2 sometime. I’ve had a decent effort in a 140m and it was pretty fast, dct box was flawless.

Loved my old e46 m3, still one my favourite cars.
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I’ve got a xc90 for charging zombies.

Looked at one those Mercs I forget the badge glc mag or something.....nice car but too small.

Love a disco 4! I’d take one over most the current LR offerings.
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disco is technically my wife's car, it looks good but I think they are horrible to drive..

The Polo was my daily - DSG box is great, I actually love having a little car for a daily, no issues parking etc.

At just over 8 grand the GLC was a deal I simply couldn't pass by!
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that was a bargain!

Yeah I miss having a small car. I quite like a hot hatch fun and convenient in equal measures.
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say.. its a £26k CAP car lol..
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Apr 20 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Virus related or just general disposal?

Winners and losers yes?
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Apr 20 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787

What did you think of the M4?
M4, M2 or an f type were on my consideration for a new motor before all of this happened.

My thoughts on the M4 are mixed, If I am honest I never really gelled with it.

1) A proper chassis, could feel everything it was doing (with the exception of the usual electric steering lack of feel), very easy to get it sideways. I could really feel that rear differential doing its work and its night and day to an M lite car in this respect having driven an M135 and comparing to various 330/335.

2) Scalpel sharp front end, could place it exactly where I wanted. Again you don't get this in an M-lite.

3) I had it in silverstone II and loved how aggressive it looked yet maintained an aura of beauty.

4) lovely interior, I loved the analogue dials, the ergonomics, the seats were just awesome. Much better interior than my friends 5 series with the silly digital dash.

5) It felt very light on its feet and very agile for what is not a small car by any means. Night and day from my friends RS5.

6) Was my first ///M Car, as never had the courage to buy a used one so it had to be new with warranty so it was quite a special moment for me.

7) blistering mid-range torque if you can get the power to the road. Would have preferred a more peaky engine though, a sign of the times manufacturers dropping high revving N/A.

dislikes

1) not a great driving position, limited visibility. The razor sharp front end hampered a little by these limitations. definitely a car at risk of constant wheel kerbing as its hard to be spatially aware in this car.

2) Too big for UK B roads, as Chris Harris said the M2 is the perfect size.

3) They do not sound great at all. sure the pops and bangs are entertaining although fairly sedate by some standards overall the engine/exhaust note is nasty.

4) Very rare you will get all the power down to the road. I was running MPSS tyres (factory default), once you got some heat in them it was much better. However for 75% of the year its not a great UK car. My friend had a non CP M4 and the only time he really got to enjoy it was a trip to Le-Mans.

5) That torque curve, does not suit this type of car tbh. It makes so much of its torque low down and comes in so quickly causing traction issues and can easily upset the car. I totally understand the 'low torque' maps that people are using with JB4's.

6) 90% of people (including me) don't have the talent to drive it anywhere near its potential. Any sorted Golf R or RS3 will show you the way home on UK roads. I expect they are superb on track though, especially with ceramics.

7) Not really the best daily driver when you compare it to quattro Audi offerings, not special enough to be a toy. You see a lot of long term reviews on the tube looking back on how its not ///M divisions finest moment for a reason.

the M2 competition though is intriguing.

The new 4WD M3/M4 will probably be a serious weapon.

I'd love an E46 M3 CS

Cheers matey some good info

Echos alot of what I have heard from other people. Was going to go and test drive one to see what I thought. However I have a feeling I will find it a bit big!

Also I like the fact my current car (lightly modified gt86) can be driven at a level to excite on most roads without speeds etc getting too silly and it is a small nimble car. M4 may just feel ott.
But on the flip it is a plasticy jap car and the lack of torque can frustrate.
Think an m2 would be a logical step. Did a track day with lee303 off of here in February at Bedford. Going on in his m2 after mine back to back certainly made it feel a nice step up. The nice build, torque etc all made it feel superior. And size wise it didn't seem any bigger....

Lee was saying bmw have shot themselves in foot with the m2 comp by producing too many that are currently all sat in dealer forecourts unsold. Maybe this will prove fruitful for future buyers

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Apr 20 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Virus related or just general disposal?

Winners and losers yes?

I don't know the market at all for these but they car and 8k I wouldn't put together!

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Apr 20 at 00:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure he'll tell us whether or not its been in a lake
SetH

4th Apr 20 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I need to try a M2 sometime. I’ve had a decent effort in a 140m and it was pretty fast, dct box was flawless.

Loved my old e46 m3, still one my favourite cars.

I am not being picky but I think they are ZF torque convertor in the M140i but they have got to the point where they are so good that I think BMW have dropped the dual clutch for the new M4, not sure whats in the M2 competition although I know its got a proper ///M engine now.
Jambo

4th Apr 20 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Disco is lovely Dave! One of the most comfy cars up front I’ve ever sat in. I’d love one.

I’m still rocking an E46 M3, lovely car. Do keep wanting to upgrade to an M2/4 though. Comp packs are still pricey though, the non-comp packs look a bit feeble by comparison.

Driven an M240i at speed and whilst it was a nice enjoyable car, I was left feeling sad that the steering was god awful and the chassis was sub par. I had similar disappointment with an E82 135i that had been modded. It was an absolute missile in a straight line but the chassis felt slow, heavy etc bit like trying to run in wellies?

M2 is most likely step for me next, good value but the interior leaves a little to be desired
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Apr 20 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

E46 must be on the way up in price as well, that'll be a keeper if you do upgrade.
Colin

4th Apr 20 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I’ve seen my old e46m for sale twice since I sold and it’s been asking for a lot for more than I got for it.

SetH

4th Apr 20 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Driven an M240i at speed and whilst it was a nice enjoyable car, I was left feeling sad that the steering was god awful and the chassis was sub par. I had similar disappointment with an E82 135i that had been modded. It was an absolute missile in a straight line but the chassis felt slow, heavy etc bit like trying to run in wellies?

THIS

For the money they are a great car, and unique in that you can have a lovely 3.0 straight six unique to the manufacturer in that class of car. However, they are not an ///M car despite dave telling you down the pub how he fitted a JB4 and downpipes and is now as fast as an M4. Their limitations are exactly as you have described and the R&D and bespoke chassis parts on the M cars is very noticeable if you drive back to back. A mapped 140i has some pace but on standard brakes and chassis it gets out of shape quickly. Birds do a great diff and suspension upgrade but then you are closing the gap on the price of an M2.
SetH

4th Apr 20 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I can get my career back on track amongst this about to fall over for 10 years economy then perhaps the new 4wd M3/4 be the next target in 3 years or so. I expect by then the E46 M3 CS I'd love will be out of reach price wise or hard to justify.
Colin

4th Apr 20 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old e46m

Gosh this must have been over 10yrs ago I sold it!

SetH

4th Apr 20 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OMG I am jizzing everywhere
SetH

4th Apr 20 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although Colin, look at what you have now! such a baller
Colin

4th Apr 20 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I’d still like the old M back. Some car in its day, sure classic today.

Think I took 14k for it and have since seen it for sale for 19k
Colin

4th Apr 20 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only 100 cars made in silverstone allegedly.
SetH

4th Apr 20 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Only 100 cars made in silverstone allegedly.

It's a stunning colour, had the silverstone II on my M4 with same interior quite refreshing in a world of white, blacks and greys.
Colin

5th Apr 20 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Silverstone I was a lot more predominantly blue than the silverstone II.

Both look great, I can’t think of many better colour for bmw

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Used car market after COVID-19 23 database queries in 0.1036880 seconds