corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Used car market after COVID-19

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Used car market after COVID-19
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
17th Jun 20 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
I am certainly trying to keep an eye on it.
Sitting on a bit of cash at present. Earning me bugger all in the bank obviously and when I remortgaged recently there was no benefit in sticking in into the house really.

I'm on the look out for a 2018/19 VW California the right side of £40k
3CorsaMeal

18th Jun 20 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://pocketrocketsales.co.uk/car/vw-corrado-vr6/

Good base
SetH

19th Jun 20 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Tough to say what is going on, on the one had people are skint and uncertain and on the other they're being paid to sit at home and browse the classifieds. I can see why stuff is still doing well just now.

Pretty much what is going on tbh.

Looking at my insta feeds I've seen one guy splash out on a monster of a Ducatti, another drove halfway across the country at the peak of lockdown to buy a fully restored XR2. Pretty much people spunking £££ on toys. They must be confident that when furlough winds down they will not be one of the millions to be made redundant. A lot of close friends all of a sudden are talking about changing their cars, the latest RS5 and X6 on their shortlists. For me personally I would not be purchasing 'expensive toys' during such times of uncertainty seems like madness.
richardworrall
Premium Member

19th Jun 20 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the minute the used car market is booming.
Working in a used car supermarket with 4 sites that averaged 1000 cars a month we are on target for about 750 so not that far behind pre-lockdown numbers.
gavin18787
Premium Member

19th Jun 20 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Tough to say what is going on, on the one had people are skint and uncertain and on the other they're being paid to sit at home and browse the classifieds. I can see why stuff is still doing well just now.

Pretty much what is going on tbh.

Looking at my insta feeds I've seen one guy splash out on a monster of a Ducatti, another drove halfway across the country at the peak of lockdown to buy a fully restored XR2. Pretty much people spunking £££ on toys. They must be confident that when furlough winds down they will not be one of the millions to be made redundant. A lot of close friends all of a sudden are talking about changing their cars, the latest RS5 and X6 on their shortlists. For me personally I would not be purchasing 'expensive toys' during such times of uncertainty seems like madness.

I suppose when the furlough ends will be key. Alot of people on furlough boasting about how they are now better off as they have less expenditure. Like you say when/if they find jobs are not there it will be when toys come up for sale to fund things.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
SetH

21st Jun 20 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I suppose when the furlough ends will be key. Alot of people on furlough boasting about how they are now better off as they have less expenditure. Like you say when/if they find jobs are not there it will be when toys come up for sale to fund things.

I see 3 clear groups since Covid-19

1) People that financially gained
2) Those where nothing really changed
3) Those that had their lives turned upside down

It's group 1 that are suddenly buying hot tubs and expensive cars/bikes, well certainly in the case of my social media contacts and some friends. One of them had sold his coffee shop which was due to complete in March, the sale is still going through shortly but in the meantime he netted 10k from the government, a nice little cherry on top of his sale. Quite a few people I know are actually still on 100% wages too. Don't get me wrong I am not hating on people buying nice things but my observation is that they are really taking a risk. They all seem to think everything is going back to normal and non of them believe their jobs are at risk. Of course I don't want to see things go to hell but anything can happen over the second half of this year.

Unfortunately for me I fell into group 3 but I am on the road to bouncing back from it. I will probably have more of a cash hoarding mentality for the foreseeable future. Recently I had been a big fan of car leasing and the man maths always made sense, you do a risk analysis and on paper you can comfortably meet the payments for 3 years than BOOM a world wide epidemic with millions of job losses.
gavin18787
Premium Member

25th Jun 20 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree that your group one should be thinking about the long game. Certainly will be a long time until "normal" is back.
Think there could be a bit of shock when some sizable employers state they are in trouble

DaveyLC

26th Jun 20 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

1) People that financially gained
2) Those where nothing really changed
3) Those that had their lives turned upside down

I had a little piece from each column..
JM_16v

27th Jun 20 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a new car in lockdown about a month ago, had to trade in my S7 thou due to no interest second hand
SetH

27th Jun 20 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
i got a new car in lockdown about a month ago, had to trade in my S7 thou due to no interest second hand

you had an S7?

JM_16v

28th Jun 20 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah beautiful car, remapped it to 510bhp but it was quiet long and wife wouldn't drive it.
SetH

1st Jul 20 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah beautiful car, remapped it to 510bhp but it was quiet long and wife wouldn't drive it.

Sweet!

I am running MRC stage 2 on my S4 now it made 480 bhp and 590NM torque love how understated S cars are, passes as an Sline diesel to the untrained eye.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Jul 20 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running lacoste socks and next boxers with custom lourves
gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Jul 20 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Sweet!

I am running MRC stage 2 on my S4 now it made 480 bhp and 590NM torque love how understated S cars are, passes as an Sline diesel to the untrained eye.

Used to hate all these fast audi's but they have grown on me lately. Must mean I am growing up

Is the S7 the one that Jayemm did a review on the other day?

SetH

4th Jul 20 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I'm running lacoste socks and next boxers with custom lourves

SetH

4th Jul 20 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I don't recall him reviewing an S7 at least recently (unless I missed it). He did review a 2017 RS6 this week though and liked it so much he said it was a possible future car for him one day.

gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jul 20 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I don't recall him reviewing an S7 at least recently (unless I missed it). He did review a 2017 RS6 this week though and liked it so much he said it was a possible future car for him one day.

Ah yes just checked back. Rs6 it was. He seemed presently suprised he liked it. Impressive he found it really fast as well considering what he has driven recently.

3CorsaMeal

19th Aug 20 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will be getting a Yaris GR. Just stuck on what colour
gavin18787
Premium Member

14th Nov 20 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I will be getting a Yaris GR. Just stuck on what colour

I have alot of love for that little car and it has been received very well by the press thus far.

Used and new car markets still appear to be holding up at the moment and not much change still.

<<  2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Used car market after COVID-19 23 database queries in 0.0950680 seconds