corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Insulating and boarding garage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insulating and boarding garage
AK

User status: Offline
18th Feb 16 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're getting another garage built... around 6.5x6.5m with about 3.2m celing height.

I'm wanting to make it a bit more homely than painted brick (breezeblock) walls, so looking onto insulating and boarding it.

Whats the best way to frame, insulated and prevent any damp? I could be massively overthinking this, and prob is just a case of whapping in some backed kingspan between batons and boarding it.
AdamF
Premium Member

18th Feb 16 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the wall construction as to damp prevention ie

solid or cavity
renedered or breezeblock inner and brick outer

you can also get kingspan or similar backed plasterboard that you dot and dab straight to block work
AK

18th Feb 16 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

breezeblock with outer render, solid... no cavity
AdamF
Premium Member

18th Feb 16 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the render will hold back damp but if it was me i would put some breathable membrane on the wall before studs for peace of mind, then fill gaps with either kingspan or loft insulation depending on how well insulated you want it.

this is the membrane i used for my garage conversion

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-roofers-choice-roofers-002-light-breathable-membrane-grey-1mm-x-25m/21912?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=98979#_=p
3CorsaMeal

18th Feb 16 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it in timber frame
sc0ott

18th Feb 16 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.thermal-economics.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1382697243Alreflex1L1DryLiningBrochure.pdf

Although if the inside isn't heated, are you going to notice any difference compared to a garage with sheeted walls and ceiling?
AK

18th Feb 16 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if i used that membrane I could pack the gap between board and block with rockwoool/kingspan and there would be no transfer of dampness through?

If I was going to timber frame it I was just goign to DPC behind the batons etc, but if I can just frame out the walls with the membrane on the block work, fill the gapos with insulation and and work straight off it rather than a gap i'd be happy.

Heating - the garage will be dehumidified, which has a little bit of heating too.

[Edited on 18-02-2016 by AK]
AdamF
Premium Member

18th Feb 16 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah just stick membrane on the walls frame up with cls batons from wickes or similar then put either 50mm celotex/kingspan in the gaps or rockwool/standard loft insulation depending on how well insulated you want it, then board, by doing this way you will lose 75mm from the room

New Poll