corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HD TV (LED) Picture Set up help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HD TV (LED) Picture Set up help
Jambo

User status: Offline
14th Dec 15 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting ever more infuriated with the picture quality of my TV. Purchased a new home cinema set up in January last year, which on the whole I am over the moon with. I had not had a "proper" set up before and am by no means an audiophile or some kind of elite expert. Just a n00b who likes cinema.

Set-up is as follows:

55 LG LB650v LED-3D-HDTV
Pioneer BDP170k BD player
Pioneer VSX924 AVR
Xbox-ONE

Now here is the rub. If I am playing my Xbox the picture is mind blowing, vivid, bright and crystal clear. If I then place a 3D movie in the player and as soon as it loads the TV auto-switches to "3D mode" and tells you to put your glasses on. Now when watching a 3D film again, the picture is mind blowing full of colour, super sharp, gorgeous to behold.
When playing a "normal" 2D Bluray the picture is thus far been below par or not "acceptable"....

It suffered up until I managed to find the correct setting from extraordinary amounts of "grain" and noise in the picture. I had adjusted all the usual things, turned off EastEnders mode (trumotion) adjusted back-light, contract, colour etc. Turned down the sharpness and there was a small improvement, then finally found something called "DynamicContrast" and switched this off, instant 85% improvement, most if not all of the grain has gone, which is great. However now, depending on the film, it still doesn't look "right".

Watching Star Wars Episode 1, it appeared to lack colour or the visual "pop" that is associated with HD stuff, my old LCD tv had the brightest blues and reds etc, so naturally I fucked around with colour and contrast and made a marked improvement. Nearly what I would call fixed. But then occasionally the picture even though the colour settings are "high" there can be some washed out scenes with what can only be described as a mist or light haze over the shot. Not that apparent on StarWars, but on LOTR extended it was god awful.

So a bit more tinkering and I still can't get it right, without the need to fiddle every time I watch a different film. I know the TV is capable of displaying mind blowing picture quality, 3D and Xbox look perfect, but 2D Blurays (and DVDs worse) look below par.

My question is I suppose, are these calibration discs worth the money? Or is anyone up on decent settings for the LG TV's (WebOS).

I appreciate that a lot of it can be down to personal preference, but I want to know if I am making any n00b mistakes.
Neo

14th Dec 15 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you using the Xbone for non 3D BD's ?
Jambo

14th Dec 15 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, always use the Pioneer BDP170 for all discs. Just use Xbox for gaming
Balling
Premium Member

14th Dec 15 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
it appeared to lack colour or the visual "pop" that is *incorrectly* associated with HD stuff
I think your expectations might be off.

Games on the Xbone will naturally be more saturated than real world footage.

Likely your TV's 3D mode is adjusted separately (or perhaps not at all) and still retains the factory colour boosting settings.

Probably your taste leans towards an over saturated image, so try upping the saturation and contrast a bit.

Jambo

14th Dec 15 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand your point to which you may be right. However too much colour leads to unnatural shading/hue's on peoples faces etc.... So whilst my colour settings might be "high" for some tastes, its not a big bleeding mess

My main concern is the hazing, or misting. A balance thing I am sure, are these discs worth the money? I used the "picture expert" guide on the TV's OS which was a waste of time and did not include expert control measures like dynamic contrast etc...
Dom

14th Dec 15 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked on Avforums for a thread on your TV? Usually people post configs or it's certainly worth asking.
Alternatively, pay to get it calibrated but you'll need to re-calibrate if you move the TV to a new environment/room.
Cavey

14th Dec 15 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was gonna say Avforums I copied someone's off there and the step brother always moans our picture looks better whenever he comes over. Even though the TV is worse than his. Can only imagine it's the settings
Balling
Premium Member

14th Dec 15 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try copying these settings to see if it makes a difference.

https://youtu.be/WmhcMy9vbUU

Jambo

14th Dec 15 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom: there's an LG thread and none specify for the 650v exactly, I don't know much about the others in the range and what kind of panel or software they have. That said I have just remembered the 730v is same as my to but has different speakers and stand. Will check for those!

Thanks Alex, will give that a shot and report back. It has two custom picture modes. So I'll set this to #2 and compare the difference.

Thanks all

New Poll