corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Much difference between LCD and LED televisions?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Much difference between LCD and LED televisions?
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
24th Feb 12 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

32"
John

24th Feb 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now that it's finally made it in here I can get some bits off my chest.

Pictures like your one above Ash, do you know if the guy taking the picture is both honest and competent? If he's not both that picture means nothing.

A crap TV is a crap TV whether it's LED or CCFL backlit, both can have light bleed and both can have a bad individual TV.

Most people don't notice flaws anyway, in which case you might as well just buy the TV that you thinks looks best within your budget.

I wouldn't personally buy a non LED backlit one now, why have a bigger TV when I can have a smaller better looking one?
John

24th Feb 12 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my case the one I'd buy would be better, that's not to say all LED backlit ones would be.

I had a quick look for how cheap you can get a 3D TV there and came across Logik 3D LED backlit tv's which will be complete crap.
Dom

24th Feb 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't read your post properly, my bad

Ricky - What did you end up buying?
A2H GO

24th Feb 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nelio off AVForums (who took the picture) is one, if not the most knowledgable person on AVForums but granted usually only on Samsung TV's. Both TV's were calibrated professionally and photos were taken in the same room. The CCFL back lit showed considerably darker black levels (I know this isn't the only thing that produces a quality picture).

By the sheer nature of the way edge lit LEDs have to project the light at a 45 degree angle out the front on the panel put them at a disadvantage over traditional backlighting methods.

And as for your question why would you do not buy an LED...because they're on average 20-30% more ££ than the non-LED equivilent for an inferior picture. Granted you have the advantage of it being thinner and lighter but how often do you need to move your TV once youve put it on the stand/wall.

The only advantage I can think of is the power saving but thats outwighed by the additional cost anyway.

ps. I'm taking about sub £1000 LED backlit TV's as the high end ones seem to be considerably better.

[Edited on 24-02-2012 by A2H GO]
John

24th Feb 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he knows how to take a picture with the same settings for a fair comparison that's fine.

I know why people would buy a cheaper TV, I'm just saying I personally would have the thinner one.

Unless you are anal about it, the one that looks best to you is the best buy, for the most part I try ans steer away from putting people off TV's or most other electronics now, unless it's either really terrible or it'll cause me more grief if they buy the crap one.
Dom

24th Feb 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never understood the weight as an argument either

Best solution is to buy a Plasma
John

24th Feb 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weight isn't really an issue, it is handy if you have to move it yourself but I wouldn't be looking at weight in the specs.

Thinner with less bezel is a big bonus, I'm surprised you're not more concious of that considering your love of Apple, Ash.
A2H GO

24th Feb 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get me wrong, I'd be all over a super thin TV/bezel and granted form does play a big part but I don't have £1000 to buy an LED TV without uneven backlighting/bleeding which would piss me off more than it not being an inch thinner.
Ricky352

24th Feb 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky352
In the end I went for a £300 32" LCD. Really happy with it and through reading your comments it would seem there is a difference, but perhaps not worth the money. The difference between my old crappy TV and the LCD one is unbelievable, I doubt there difference between LCD and LED would be any where near as great.

Just discovered my PS3 hasn't got enough memory for the 3D update which can be used to play GT5 and some others so thats the next thing.

Thanks very much folks, appreciate the feedback.

You got a 3D TV for £300?

Yeah as BarshaW stated its only a 32". Cheapest 32" LED 3D I could find was £500, but I didn't spend a whole lotta time searching.
John

24th Feb 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What TV did you get?
Ricky352

24th Feb 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and with the TV I bought I got some super speed HDMI cable capable of 3D for £17.50. This and the TV together cost £300.

Sony wanted £500 for a 3D LED and an extra £50 for a suitable HDMI cable.
Ricky352

24th Feb 12 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What TV did you get?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5299328/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7C14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419667%7C3D+TVs%7C20062117.htm

This one suited my needs perfectly
John

24th Feb 12 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That falls into one of my categories of telling people what to do, I'll let you decide which one
Dom

24th Feb 12 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That falls into one of my categories of telling people what to do, I'll let you decide which one

With you on this
Balling
Premium Member

24th Feb 12 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry, but that TV is the equivalent of a head unit with 16 different display colours and USB plug and SD card reader on the front.
Surprised it doesn't have build in DVD player.

But as mentioned, it will most likely suit the needs perfectly. In the end that's the bottom line I guess.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll