corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 60" TV, help me chose which one.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 60" TV, help me chose which one.
kennySRi

User status: Offline
7th Feb 13 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to be buying a new tv in a week or two because my projector has packed in, again. TV must be 60" because i've been used to a 100" screen daily for the past 4 years and without spending thousands a 60 is the only size to go for.

I was really wanting an LED one with 3D but the model that i want is still at £1800 which im not paying. Set myself a budget of £1k and i've got it down to a few choices but need your opinions on which to go for.

First of all is an LED Samsung one but hasnt got 3D - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue60eh6000-full-hd-60-led-tv-19254781-pdt.html

But then for the odd time that i will use it i think i should go for a 3D TV but i can only go for a plasma for my budget, like so - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ps60e550-full-hd-60-plasma-3d-tv-12338302-pdt.html. Was trying ti find the LG one which is a few hundred cheaper but i'd be tempted with that one anyway.

So the question is would you go for the best picture you can afford, ie an LED tv. Or would you be prepared to stick with a plasma if it meant that you could watch films in 3D. Im a big movie fan, have thousands of films and watch one every other day so a clear picture is very important to me but then i think that i need a 3D tv for when some decent films come out in it. For those with a 3D tv do you actually watch things regularly in 3D or is it something that you dont bother with?

Im wanting to buy a tv within the next few weeks and don't want to make the wrong decision. The samsung LED tv is one that i've had an eye out for months now but i really don't want to pay £1800 for the 3D version of it.

Help me CS
Balling
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
So the question is would you go for the best picture you can afford, ie an LED tv. Or would you be prepared to stick with a plasma if it meant that you could watch films in 3D.
You're wrong to think LED gives you a better image.

I bought a 59" Samsung 7-series plasma at your budget over a year ago, so I'm surprised the 550 is so expensive.

No better deals to be had?

I wouldn't go LG, the plasma's I've seen from them have not been very good at all.
Samsung and Panasonic is pretty much the only two brands to look at when it comes to plasma.

Read up on reviews to see what other people think about the models you're looking at.

Balling
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for 3D. I use it for PS3 games. FPS' are pretty cool in 3D. And owning a plasma means you can actually use it for hours on end without getting a headache.

Animated movies are great in 3D but live action is terrible. I can easily see my self buying more animated films on 3D blu ray.

kennySRi

7th Feb 13 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply Balling.

Samsung is pretty much the only brand that i will go for. They are much cheaper than Sony, etc but have always been highly rated and they look great imo.

I always thought LED was the best picture? From what i've seen and heard the picture is as sharp as it gets. I havnt looked around too much, was wanting one from currys really just so i know it's covered if and when it breaks, if you or anybody else can recommend other places then please do.

Price wise, it's about right looking around at other TVs and stores. A 55" is much cheaper and i could easily get a LED 3D tv but i've got my heart set on a 60"
Whittie

7th Feb 13 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't let it not be in 3d put you off. 99% of 3d tv owners won't use it more than once a week, if that anyway.
kennySRi

7th Feb 13 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
As for 3D. I use it for PS3 games. FPS' are pretty cool in 3D. And owning a plasma means you can actually use it for hours on end without getting a headache.

Animated movies are great in 3D but live action is terrible. I can easily see my self buying more animated films on 3D blu ray.

I'm really not a fan of animated films and that's all you really see in 3D at the moment but i was thinking that when some decent films do come out in 3D i want to be ready for it, but i suppose i can just regret my decision in a few years when that time comes. I have a PS3 but dont go on it too much so wasnt planning on using the 3D for that.

Whilst we're on the subject of tese tvs, can you explain to me what these brackets are...?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-wmn2000cx-xc-tv-bracket-for-58-63-televisions-10788201-pdt.html

Can't figure out the design of them They might be a much better option than going for a normal bracket and arnt too badly priced.
kennySRi

7th Feb 13 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Don't let it not be in 3d put you off. 99% of 3d tv owners won't use it more than once a week, if that anyway.

That's what im thinking. I watch TV 10 hours a day so really do want a clear picture. I also watch a lot of older films so they'll obviously never be in 3D so maybe it isnt for me. I watch soaps mostly so when Corrie goes 3D i think that's when i will update
Balling
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get bad LCD's and bad plasma's. Whether one is better than the other is partially a matter of taste.
I like a very natural picture and find plasma is better for this. LCD's have a tendency of being a bit too crisp, which I don't care for. Also I'm yet to see an LCD handle movement as smoothly as the better plasma's.

Coming from a projector I don't think black levels are something you need to worry about, it'll likely be vastly better than what you're used to, either way.

Regarding 55 vs 60 I had those same thoughts, so I got a big piece of cardboard and cut it to the size of a 60" TV, drew a 55" TV sized box on it and it hung it in our living room.
The difference was bigger than I thought.

At the time Samsung only did 59" or 63" unfortunately and the difference in price was staggering, so I settled.

Whittie

7th Feb 13 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 hours!! Bloody hell mate, thats quite a bit! Where do you find the time.

I've had a 50" LG Plasma, picture quality was awesome, a 55" Samsung series 6 LCD , and now a 40" Sony LED tv.

Will be buying a new one in the summer as my place is bigger now. On past experiences, i'll be going for a samsung or sony.
fazza

7th Feb 13 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I watch TV 10 hours a day

Balling
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Whilst we're on the subject of tese tvs, can you explain to me what these brackets are...?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-wmn2000cx-xc-tv-bracket-for-58-63-televisions-10788201-pdt.html
They're wall brackets you attach an included wire to the back of the TV and hang those things pictured on the wall. Then hang the TV, from the wire, on the brackets.
Very slim, but the price and sturdiness put me off them so I just bought an "old fashioned" slim steel TV bracket off ebay.

fazza

7th Feb 13 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and I have an LG Plasma, had it a couple years now. The sound card failed within the first few weeks and now we have a few dead pixels.

I wouldn't buy another
Gary
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I watch TV 10 hours a day :

WTF!?
kennySRi

7th Feb 13 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People keep telling me that it's only 5" but it is a huge difference. I really do want the biggest i can afford, anything bigger than 60" are £2k upwards which isnt what i want to spend at the moment.

You're right about my projector as well, any picture should be better I've used projectors every day for the past 5 years now and i think i need a change, had enough of not being able to watch films during the day and wanting a sharp picture.I understand what you're saying about the difference in plasma and led as well, sometimes they do look 'too' sharp and a bit odd.

However i do think that im sold on that Samsung LED tv, it's the one that has always been the top of my list. I need to find out where the best place is to buy now. Richer sounds sell them at the same price but for an extra £100 they have a 5 year guarantee which is useful.
kennySRi

7th Feb 13 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's wrong with 10 hours a day?

I get up at 9am and could watch it if i've nothing to do until about 4pm and then i work in the evening, get back at midnight and stay up until after 2am Now you know why my projectors keep breaking with that amount of use ha.
kennySRi

7th Feb 13 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

They're wall brackets you attach an included wire to the back of the TV and hang those things pictured on the wall. Then hang the TV, from the wire, on the brackets.
Very slim, but the price and sturdiness put me off them so I just bought an "old fashioned" slim steel TV bracket off ebay.

They don't sound very safe Think i'll stick with the normal ones as well then lol. I'll be putting up a false wall to hide the wires so it doesnt really matter how deep the brackets are as i'll just fit them into the new wall.

Thanks for all the advise guys Think i'll stay clear of LG then, Samsung is really the only option imo.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my 60" TV. People comment how big it is and it makes me feel good inside.
John

7th Feb 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got my TV hanging up with those brackets, except it wasn't the expensive Samsung ones I got, it was the cheap version from ebay.
kennySRi

8th Feb 13 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I've got my TV hanging up with those brackets, except it wasn't the expensive Samsung ones I got, it was the cheap version from ebay.

Have you got any pics of your tv up on these brackets? Wouldnt mind seeing what they look like from behind.
whitter45

8th Feb 13 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

this - John sent me the link

Great item for £12.99

[Edited on 08-02-2013 by whitter45]
John

8th Feb 13 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't find one of the wire that attaches to the TV.
kennySRi

8th Feb 13 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That might be a good idea for my tv set up. Thanks for the pics John, can you send me the link as well
John

8th Feb 13 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just off ebay, wasn't a specific one I went for, they're all the same.
pow
Premium Member

8th Feb 13 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everytime I see that carpet it makes me laugh John
kennySRi

8th Feb 13 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks John, just looking now and there's loads to chose from. They look a very simple design, only problem is is if they're just a mm out and unlevel i cant adjust anything so will have to be perfect first time round.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll