corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Abysmally Slow Laptop...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Abysmally Slow Laptop...
dannymccann

User status: Offline
14th Jun 15 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows 7 64bit - all updates done
Core i3-2350M
4gb RAM (originally had 2gb, 4gb, or 3.89GB, recognised in My Computer)
Spyware, malware and virus scans up to date
MSCONFIG'd the majority of stuff from stopping running unless I start it up
It isn't overheating, at least not to the touch
Balanced power plan, which restricts CPU to 85% on battery, 100% on charge
Recently did some defragging using Defraggler and have cleaned the registry and temp files with CCleaner
9GB left on partition 1 and 83GB left on partition 2

Memory usage sits at around 60 - 70% and CPU usage rarely goes above 50% according to Task Manager graph, however when I am wanting to open a browser (IE, FF or Chrome) or Excel etc I am sitting here waiting an age for something to happen like it's throttling or queueing. When the browser does load and you go on something like Facebook and scroll down it will stop, 'Not Respond', then carry on.

I'm not wanting to swap out the HD for SSD as the laptop is getting on for 3 years now but my opinion is with this spec it should not be struggling like it does. I haven't done a reformat as there is so much to backup I want to make sure I have got it all before I do it, but finding the time to go through every folder and save what I need is escaping me.

Any quick things I can do or stuff I can leave running for a few hours to do it's thing that I haven't mentioned above?

Cheers

edit - I should add, once it's been on for about 10 minutes (warming up shall we say?!) it's fine. It's when you turn it from hibernation (the power button puts it into hibernation, my choice) or a normal restart that for the first 10 - 15 minutes it's deathly slow then after that it seems reasonable - like in the time it's taken me to type this post out

[Edited on 14-06-2015 by dannymccann]
nibnob21
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried using a program like CCleaner to clean out all the crap like recycle bin, cache, registry etc? You can then also use it to choose which programs automatically run at startup. A lot of programs automatically turn themselves on in the background when you turn on a PC, which can cause it to run very slowly for the first few minutes as they all initialise.

MX5 Project Thread
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The issue is not enough space on your primary partition for Virtual memory. Try and even out the free space over your two partitions.

Sticking in an SSD is totally worth it even on a three year old laptop, will make it feel like a new one for less than a ton.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Jun 15 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do with some more RAM as well if the system supports it.
dannymccann

14th Jun 15 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4gb is as much as it supports, it was a fiddly old shambles getting the extra stick in there, really awkward and I think I broke something that holds the modules in properly so not really willing to open it up again

I'll look into moving some stuff on to prt 2, it shows as red even with 9gb left but thought that would be alright

I'm not going to upgrade it because I want to, in the near future, get a touchscreen 15"er, I love my Transformer just it's a bit small
Dom

14th Jun 15 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Rob mentions, you need more space for the pagefile otherwise Windows will continuously be swapping data out of it, hence it being slow.

Tbh, if you can backup all of your data then I'd be inclined to nuke the lot, merge the partitions and reinstall Windows
Steve
Premium Member

15th Jun 15 at 05:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't bother wasting your time. Backup your shit and restore to factory image
Andrew

20th Jun 15 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Don't bother wasting your time. Backup your shit and restore to factory image

While at it, stick in a decent SSD.

I can't see the average user needing more than 4GB RAM either.

New Poll