corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » LED house bulbs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LED house bulbs
deano87

User status: Offline
10th Apr 15 at 07:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we have 2 x light units in the kitchen, each with 4 x GU10 bulbs.

Since we moved in (nearly 12 months ago!) I've been meaning to change them as they're not the most energy efficient.

Quite a few had blown and I spotted Poundland has LED bulbs. Needless to say, they're pony (and in fact 1/8 was broken). They're very spot lighty with no ambient light and also 6400k so very white/blue.

Can onyone recommend an online retailer or best place to get some LED bulbs? It seems prices are actually much of a muchness, with Homebase being one of the cheapest (£24.99 for 6) but no idea on spec.
AndyKent

10th Apr 15 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LEDhut.com - their Lumilife ones are decent, make sure you buy them in warm white if you want a softer light

Unsurprised poundland ones died when everything else on the market costs 3/4 times as much!
DaveyLC

10th Apr 15 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've learned that if you are tight when it comes to buying 240v LED bulbs your house ends up looking like the toilet in a rough pub, you know when they put in the UV lights to deter the coke fiends

I've started gradually swapping out the standard energy saving bulbs for Osram warm-white classic style bulbs (10-15 quid a throw).. They have good even light spread (some project the light down which is really annoying!) and are pretty much indistinguishable from a incandescent/halogen bulb.

Its still a 'reasonably expensive' upgrade if you're talking about replacing 10+ bulbs..

[Edited on 10-04-2015 by DaveyLC]
Ben G

10th Apr 15 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a combination of minisun cool white (£5 per bulb) and osram warm white bulbs (teaco had these on offer for £6 each) in every room except the bathroom. Very happy with them.

We wanted cool white in the living room as warm white made it look too dull. The room is between kitchen and conservatory so not a massive amount of daylight gets in.

[Edited on 10-04-2015 by Ben G]
deano87

10th Apr 15 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
LEDhut.com - their Lumilife ones are decent, make sure you buy them in warm white if you want a softer light

Unsurprised poundland ones died when everything else on the market costs 3/4 times as much!

Taaa. Poundland ones are fine, it was the old Halogen's that have started dying. Just one of the connector nipples had broken on a Poundland bulb
Dee25790

10th Apr 15 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look on eBay for some wide angle LED GU10. I think you will find osram bulbs for a few quid a pop. Usually good quality osram too
ed

10th Apr 15 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All mine are from IKEA- they apparently review quite well, I think they're pretty good too. I found the older style LED GU10s to offer very little ambient and be too blue, but these ones are like halogens but they don't get burning hot
luciaadr

10th Apr 15 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having tried a few bulbs, I've settled on these sebson ones

Personally hate cold white, the colour of these is bang on. House is filled with spots so we have over 30,very happy. They do dimmable ones too
Ben G

10th Apr 15 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't keen on cool white at first but now we have them in our living room and landing/stairwell, I wouldn't change to warm white. Also, I think kitchen area's need cool white.

The issue we had was warm white made the freshly painted walls look darker than they actually were. This meant that we weren't happy with the way the room looked.

I'm very surprised at just how good the light output is for bulbs that are just 10% of the wattage my previous halogens had. 4w minisun, 6w osram.

I have noticed i'm in credit quite a lot on my electricity bill, which is nice. Should get a nice refund

[Edited on 10-04-2015 by Ben G]
DaveyLC

10th Apr 15 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we're just accustomed to the warm light because its what we've been used to for years in the home.. The cool light always makes me think of work or being in a shop, not very homely.
Ben G

10th Apr 15 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I turn the lights off when i'm at home anyway. The gas bulbs in work are ridiculously bright so it's nice to get home and give my eyes a rest.
Welly Wanger

11th Apr 15 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last year I swapped 11 ceiling lights in an office for led panels and the guy saved £360 on his electric bill over the year.
Rob_Quads

13th Apr 15 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welly Wanger
Last year I swapped 11 ceiling lights in an office for led panels and the guy saved £360 on his electric bill over the year.

How much did it cost to put the panels in?

I've avoided LEDs still down to cost. Had an expensive branded one fail on me which meant the break even point was in 7/8/9+ years and I hope not give here in 5 so not worth doing
BYRON

17th Apr 15 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have used LEDhut previously although most of the house now has Aurora M10 LED down-lighters. Wouldn't want to add it up at £27 per light.
Graham88

20th Apr 15 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some of these for my kitchen:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181489018597

24smd 7w gu10's for £17.53, made such a big difference to how the kitchen looks. We'd just installed cream doors and the halogen made them look yellow. Cool white LED's give a nice modern look

[Edited on 20-04-2015 by Graham88]
ed

20th Apr 15 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I think we're just accustomed to the warm light because its what we've been used to for years in the home..

That or the billions of years of evolution that's gone into our eyes
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

21st Apr 15 at 01:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I bought some of these for my kitchen:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181489018597

24smd 7w gu10's for £17.53, made such a big difference to how the kitchen looks. We'd just installed cream doors and the halogen made them look yellow. Cool white LED's give a nice modern look

[Edited on 20-04-2015 by Graham88]

I bought cheap bulbs from ebay. alot of them have become dim/started dim some just stopped working. one of the smd's in one of the bulbs looks like its been on fire.

be very wary of the cheap ones
Welly Wanger

21st Apr 15 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob these are the 600x600 led panels what was used. http://www.yesss.co.uk/light-fittings-c8/led-c788/indoor-c1383/luxna-lighting-40w-led-panel-600x600-cool-white-6300k-1007-0029-p21341 .

New Poll