corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Led house bulbs staying on when switched off.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Led house bulbs staying on when switched off.
Ben G

User status: Offline
13th Mar 15 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently swapping out my household light bulbs for led's and all has been going well...until tonight.

I replaced 3 light fittings with nexthome items a while back, then swapped the bulbs to led in the living room with no problem. I then put the same bulbs in the light fittings in the landing and the hallway.

The landing ones are working fine and go completely off when switched off, but the hallway ones stay very dimly lit. It's not bright enough to light up the area, but you can see the led's are still on.

The light switch is 2 gang, one controls the outside light and the other obviously controls the hallway.

Haven't had a problem before when it had normal bulbs in and the led bulbs in the other light fittings work perfectly, so it's either an issue with the switch or the wiring not liking the led's, at a guess.

Any ideas? A quick Google seems to point to a nightlight function, which I don't have a clue about. I'm trying to be eco friendly and reduce my electricity bills, so keeping it lit 24/7 isn't really an option

[Edited on 13-03-2015 by Ben G]
whitter45

13th Mar 15 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would suggest you have a "leak" in your wiring i.e the gang is powered even when isolated by the switch

Beacuse the LEDs require small power the small leak will mean the lights dim - wouldnt have been enough with normal GU10's etc

I would maybe try another switch to be sure the swicth is not faulty - This solved mine in our previuos house

Common issue is the switch has a minimum load so LED wont meet that meaning they stay on on a low dim

Try another 2 Gang from another switch in the house
DaveyLC

13th Mar 15 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a numpty wired your house they've probably switched the Neutral or something equally as dopey.
Gary
Premium Member

13th Mar 15 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the hallway switched from two differnt switches?

If so you can get an induced current in the 3core connecting the switches. You can get a device called a 'snubber' to stop this. Just wire it into the last fitting in series.
DaveyLC

13th Mar 15 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Is the hallway switched from two differnt switches?

If so you can get an induced current in the 3core connecting the switches. You can get a device called a 'snubber' to stop this. Just wire it into the last fitting in series.

^^^ The man is probably hitting the nail on the head
Gary
Premium Member

13th Mar 15 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DNCAPLOAD.html?utm_source=froogle
Ben G

13th Mar 15 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just the one switch, Gary.

Living room light can be turned on with 2 switches and that's fine. Same goes for the landing one.

I'll try a new switch first, then go from there

Davey, i'm pretty sure a numpty did actually wire this house up i've unearthed a few dodgy wiring issue's in the last few years. Must have been some dodgy Essex wide boy pretending to know what he was doing

Gary
Premium Member

13th Mar 15 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't try a new switch just take the switched live out of the bottom of the switch and turn the power back on. If you still have a fault then it's not the switch.

I'd still just install a snubber if I was you
Ben G

14th Mar 15 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was changing the switch anyway to match the other polished chrome ones.

Took it off today and noticed straight away the wiring was a bit odd. The red live? Wire was one wire instead of 2. It just connected into one part then looped around into the other connection.

The other 3 wires seem pretty standard. No clue what the yellow is? I'm sure the blue is neutral and the yellow/green is earth.

Btw ignore the thumb, I have a rather terrible nail biting habit

Gary
Premium Member

14th Mar 15 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lighting prob done with a joint box in the loft. Red is mains the the blue and yellow are switched lives. That link is just taking a mains to the other switch.
Ben G

14th Mar 15 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it's pretty normal then? I haven't got a clue how that snubber thing works, but i'm guessing that's the only way i'll stop the glow of the led's when off?

Edit: I guess that snubber won't work as it's only controlled by 1 switch.

[Edited on 14-03-2015 by Ben G]
Gary
Premium Member

14th Mar 15 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should do as it just restricts current slightly from what I know. Not enough to effect them when on but enough to stop that little bit of induced current when off.
Ben G

14th Mar 15 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Gary. I'll have a Google to see how they fit.
baza31

27th Mar 15 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do what Gary says take cable out of switch , if it's still lit up I would check voltage at the fitting.
Ben G

28th Mar 15 at 02:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which cable? The red one?

Actually, looking at the pic above, it's the blue i need to remove, isn't it?

[Edited on 28-03-2015 by Ben G]
Gary
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the lights are controlled by the RH switch
Ben G

28th Mar 15 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok, wasn't really sure how it worked.

Right switch is outside light, left is hall.

New Poll