corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cat D

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cat D
pro8186

User status: Offline
26th Jan 15 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone explain what cat d is ? Saw a 07 bmw 2.0 d se touring for sale, just under 70k with full history. £3950 hence the doors had a knock few year back. I couldn't tell and women explained its never troubled her being a cat d. Got a quote for 1k earlier but having 2nd thoughts as ive never owned a cat vehicle.
nathy_87

26th Jan 15 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First answer on Google

quote:
Category D is for the most lightly damaged cars, or those which were stolen and recovered after the owner had been paid by the insurance company. The official description of a Category D car is one that has suffered accident damage that would cost less to repair than its value.27 Apr 2012
DaveyLC

26th Jan 15 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has nothing to do with how light the damage is, it's more down to the relative damage to value.. A £50k car can be smashed to f**k but still be a CAT D.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
26th Jan 15 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2007 car had a crash in what, 2011? So it was 4 yo and got written off because the repair was more than half the value.

What's the value of a 4 yo one? Half of that sounds like more than a bit of a knock on the door.
baza31

27th Jan 15 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
It has nothing to do with how light the damage is, it's more down to the relative damage to value.. A £50k car can be smashed to f**k but still be a CAT D.

It is to do with damage .

It's also nothing to do with stolen recovered it's purely due to the extent of damage . Stolen recovered with minimal damage has it's own category ( X )

I have had loads of cat d's and C's . Would never buy one that I hadn't repaired myself though . Too many fuckers cutting corners . Saw a belter other week with a mazda 3 with no drivers airbag just a plastic cover where the airbag should be . Far too many folk cutting corners with salvage these days
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
quote:

It's also nothing to do with stolen recovered it's purely due to the extent of damage . Stolen recovered with minimal damage has it's own category ( X )

I have had loads of cat d's and C's . Would never buy one that I hadn't repaired myself though . Too many fuckers cutting corners . Saw a belter other week with a mazda 3 with no drivers airbag just a plastic cover where the airbag should be . Far too many folk cutting corners with salvage these days

You are SO wrong...

A £500 quid car can be CAT C recorded for a scuff in the bumper... A brand new £50k BMW could have every panel damaged and still be a CAT D..

And I bet substantial amounts of money I've seen, owned and repaired more recorded cars than you have

Yes damage does play a part but only when were talking about cars that are Burned out, totally destroyed, the chassis is ripped in half or the emergency services have cut the thing to bits.. The we're talking CAT B/A.

Oh and some times if there have been fatalities the car will automatically be recorded CAT A..

[Edited on 27-01-2015 by DaveyLC]
_Allan_

27th Jan 15 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here we go. Let's all argue who is the biggest gypo

GO!
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I WIN.... Mush...
baza31

27th Jan 15 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

You are SO wrong...

A £500 quid car can be CAT C recorded for a scuff in the bumper... A brand new £50k BMW could have every panel damaged and still be a CAT D..

And I bet substantial amounts of money I've seen, owned and repaired more recorded cars than you have

Yes damage does play a part but only when were talking about cars that are Burned out, totally destroyed, the chassis is ripped in half or the emergency services have cut the thing to bits.. The we're talking CAT B/A.

Oh and some times if there have been fatalities the car will automatically be recorded CAT A..

O..K then mate , doesn't damage determine the value of repair ? It's not the other way around is it ? Seeing as you have two motor dealers in your family and you are betting substantial amounts of money I won't bother arguing with you.
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are SO wrong...

O..K then mate , doesn't damage determine the value of repair ? It's not the other way around is it ? Seeing as you have two motor dealers in your family and you are betting substantial amounts of money I won't bother arguing with you.

Again nope.. A bumper for a Ferrari F430 is worth a hell of a lot more than a bumper for a 10 year old focus, I'd imagine more than the entire car
baza31

27th Jan 15 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are SO wrong...

Again nope.. A bumper for a Ferrari F430 is worth a hell of a lot more than a bumper for a 10 year old focus, I'd imagine more than the entire car

Are you on drugs or something
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think about it..

Split the bumper on your F430 and they'll just fix the car..

Split the bumper on your old £500 bag of shit and they'll write it off.
baza31

27th Jan 15 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have to think . All the repair costs are comparable with the price of the car no matter what car it is.
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you're agreeing levels of damage have very little to do with it.
tom130691
Premium Member

27th Jan 15 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa b's get written off because you can buy the bumper new anymore

regardless of amount of other damage its getting written off

[Edited on 27-01-2015 by tom130691]
baza31

27th Jan 15 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So you're agreeing levels of damage have very little to do with it.

No I am saying levels of damage have everything to do with it .
ShEp

27th Jan 15 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Old mans 04 Audi a3 got written off as a cat-d

A huge part of it was the wheel was dinged and they are a fortune from Audi.
Gary
Premium Member

27th Jan 15 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You to are arguing the same point.
Gary
Premium Member

27th Jan 15 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't the difference between cat c and d whether the damage is structural or not? A car covered in paint stripper wouldn't be a cat c but something with little damage but a b or c pillar would be cat c. That's my understanding of it anyway. Not that I've had owt to do with recovered motors.
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope.. Its all down to how economical the repair is..

You could pour a gallon of rancid milk into a nearly brand new car and make It a CAT C..

ShEp

27th Jan 15 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

D - Means it can be repaired, and within the value of the vehicle, but the owner has chosen a settlement offered by the insurance company.

C - Uneconomical repair, meaning the cost of the repairs is likely to surpass the value of the vehicle, This is usally parts + labour

B - Not for fixing, dangerous.
DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ This..

The only time the 'damage' actually becomes relevant is for a CAT B.. Where the chassis will be condemned (but can be broken by a certified breaker).. CAT A means its going in the crusher, no questions asked, you're not supposed to remove ANYTHING.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jan 15 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat C Corsa

Cat D Corsa

DaveyLC

27th Jan 15 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To put things into perspective, heres an old Ferrari 612 with similar damage.. CAT D on this one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-FERRARI-612-SCAGLIETTI-DAMAGED-SALVAGE-CAT-D-STARTS-/221655196764?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item339bade45c

Ian
Site Administrator

27th Jan 15 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not as bad as I thought it would be. Deffo seen worse on a D.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cat D 22 database queries in 0.1661720 seconds