corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Long range wifi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Long range wifi
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Jan 15 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a sport pavilion that is about a mile away from the school.

We need to be able to hook into the CCTV for live feed. Best way of getting a connection to a building that distance away?

It does have a phone line, so a cheap ADSL connection would do, however I find the idea of setting up a monthly ADSL subscription for this a little messy.

Any alternatives and costs? seen some long range wifi antennas, but unsure of there reliability, or security or cost??
Dom

7th Jan 15 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar to your other thread, look at PtP setups but it's going to be relatively costly over that distance and you'll ideally need line of site between the buildings.

Personally i'd look at a fixed connection (ADSL etc) or a mobile connection.
pow
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done similar over half a km with a couple of old Cisco Aironet 1200's with one being a station-role root bridge and one being station-role non-root bridge with some cheap single direction aerials.

If I had some money to spend I'd use something like this: http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Can always help with the cisco config if you decide to go that route.

Otherwise, use a router-to-router VPN using ADSL between the school and the remote building. I've also set the same up with DrayTeks at either end.

[Edited on 07-01-2015 by pow]
pow
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long range wifi does depend on line of sight - do you have that?
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not great
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for ubnt stuff if you can get Line Of Sight, much sexier.
pow
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if you go up a meter or so on a sexy pole?
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 16:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EXACTLY
pow
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need me and Will network consultant extrodinaires!
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not getting on any fucking roofs thou
pow
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can hold onto my legs out the window
Dom

7th Jan 15 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Not great

You might be lucky if you get some (reasonable; a 1000ft mast isn't going to work ) elevation at either end; there's plenty of tools for helping with this if you Google.

But personally if there is any doubt then it might be worth going for a 'fixed' solution like ADSL/Mobile etc.

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If I had some money to spend I'd use something like this: http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Have you tried any of their Nanostation gear? Just wondering what the likelihood of getting the mentioned 150Mbit throughput over a 1.5/2KM stretch (i have my doubts)

Saying that for £200/300 it might be worth the punt as you're certainly not going to be getting other PtP systems for anywhere near that price.

[Edited on 07-01-2015 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH for a sports pavillion if you get 20MBit each way I'd be impressed, I'm getting a goot 17 over my crap cheap Cisco link.
John

7th Jan 15 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ADSL is not a mesy solution for this. If there's doubt on line of sight, £30 a month is surely manageable for a school
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its not so much the cost its just yet another recurring commitment and paperwork to manage = more bills in my pigeon hole each month to sort out
Russ

7th Jan 15 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pringles tube on antenna
Nismo

7th Jan 15 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Willay said, can't go wrong with Ubiquiti kit, fit this stuff all the time.

Go for the NanoBeam.

http://www.msdist.co.uk/product_Ubiquiti-NanoBeam-M5-19dBi.php

Steve
Premium Member

7th Jan 15 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need good los?
Dom

7th Jan 15 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was a few hundred metres then you'd probably be ok but i still think you'll struggle without having line of site at 1.6KM, especially using 5GHz gear (and i imagine your area is full of 2.4GHz networks already, so that's probably a no-go); unless obviously you can erect a mast and get the antennas high enough to alleviate obstructions.

They do do 900MHz gear which might have been a better bet but you can't use it over here unfortunately.

Edit - Have a look around the Ubiquiti forums (as well as others like SpiceWorks, Whirlpool.net.au etc) as there a few posts asking similar, eg - http://community.ubnt.com/t5/Getting-Started-Product/Point-to-Point-link-2km-Non-line-of-Sight/td-p/447057.

[Edited on 07-01-2015 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

8th Jan 15 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you haven't got line of sight use ADSL - if it bothers you that much there are a million companies out there that will bill you annually.
taylorboosh

9th Jan 15 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another line is deffo the best solution imo

New Poll