corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New Build vs Existing? Help!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Build vs Existing? Help!
dan_m1les

User status: Offline
4th Jan 15 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a dilemma, I currently live with my girlfriend in a flat that I solely own and we want to buy together. We would be going from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed house ideally and have viewed 2 that we like.

The first house is lovely and literally at the top end of our budget, and the only thing that concerns me is the front window and there being a lot of glass. But all hoses down the road are like this.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33043104.html?premiumA=true

The second house is a brand new build, which of course is all nice and shiny and new, but its not in as nice an area, although you would just be surrounded by other new houses. There is also the view that there is not any money to made on the house as nothing could be enhanced or replaced. This house does have a lovely kitchen and 2 nice bathrooms and a car drive way too.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-32215923.html

I think in the long run the first 'exiting' house would be the smarter move as we could make more of a stamp on it? and its an end of terrace in a cul-de-sac?

pow
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do NOT buy on long furlong haha. They'll end up as housing association mate. Id choose the top one, but, when I walked into my place I knew I wanted it, it needs a bit of improvement but I loved it. Do you get that feeling wit either? You can brick up and change the window to reduce the glass?

[Edited on 04-01-2015 by pow]
dan_m1les

4th Jan 15 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha! all the houses are only to be privately owned we have been told!

The first one is very nice and could see us living there, we would be skint for a while but we could deal with it and the mrs loves the bathroom!

Also pow, after living in Burnham/Taplow all my life, and being a snob, I don't really want to live in Britwell ideally but the house is very nice!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First one is horrible
pow
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 22:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mark you don't know the Britwell. I really would advise you don't take the Britwell one. You could make the top one look lovely, put your stamp on it over a few years.
Ben G

4th Jan 15 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top one looks like a proper granny house from the outside, but looks decent inside. Expensive though.
pow
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can improve a house no end, you can't move its location though. Where is the first one?
pow
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh wait I know just off the dropmore road. Yeah take that one
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the location of the second one is bad then I would hold out for a while as none of them would interest me
dan_m1les

4th Jan 15 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its just off the dropper road which is ideal
dan_m1les

4th Jan 15 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Top one looks like a proper granny house from the outside, but looks decent inside. Expensive though.

Unfortunately thats about the going rate for a 3 bed round here...
pow
Premium Member

4th Jan 15 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have some stories to tell about dropmore road lol. If up you like the top one with a little view for improvement offer on it.
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 00:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan_m1les
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Unfortunately thats about the going rate for a 3 bed round here...

Ben didn't you pay good money for your 2 bed? I paid slightly less for my 2 bed.
Ben G

5th Jan 15 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

176k, which actually wasn't too bad at the time. The cheapest 2 bed down my road sold for over 200k last year.

Would like to upgrade to a 3 bed detached but the prices are similar to the ones Dan posted
tom130691
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new build for me
whitter45

5th Jan 15 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any new build development will have affordable housing allocated to get builders permission from the government

This is one reason why I would now steer clear of new build developments

Agree this could vary in terms of what affordbale housing means but you could spending alot of money and get some not so nice people living on your estate
John

5th Jan 15 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on a new estate with no affordable housing, Scotland though if that makes it different.
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it does John.
Conway563

5th Jan 15 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First one looks alright. Most of the houses by me were built with glass like that on the front. If you do change it get it bricked up properly and not with the plastic like the one next door has, can tell you from experience it's shit
Ben G

5th Jan 15 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scottish houses all cost 20 quid anyway so anyone can buy them.
whitter45

5th Jan 15 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although it looks like this can be overuled if challenged

The Growth and Infrastructure Act (clause 7) inserts new clauses into s106 of the 1990 Town and Country Planning Act that introduces a new application and appeal procedure for the review of planning obligations on planning permissions which relate to the provision of affordable housing. The changes require a council to assess the viability arguments, to renegotiate previously agreed affordable housing levels in a S106, and change the affordable housing requirement or face an appeal.

An appeal can be made if the authority does not modify the planning obligation as requested, or fails to make a determination within a specified time. Obligations which include a "requirement relating to the provision of housing that is, or is to be made available, for people whose needs are not adequately served by the commercial housing market" are within scope of this new procedure.

The application and appeal procedure will assess the viability of affordable housing requirements only. It will not reopen any other planning policy considerations or review the merits of the permitted scheme.

These new application and appeal procedures don't replace existing powers to renegotiate Section 106 agreements on a voluntary basis. In addition, this provision related to affordable housing does not replace the provisions to modify an obligation set out in the 1992 regulations and updated by the 2013 regulations (see above).

- See more at: http://www.pas.gov.uk/3-community-infrastructure-levy-cil/-/journal_content/56/332612/4090701/ARTICLE#sthash.GVAuCYbj.dpuf
pow
Premium Member

5th Jan 15 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You still don't want to live on Long Furlong Drive in Slough, affordable housing or not
dan_m1les

5th Jan 15 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah this is the risk with any new houses, a guy at work in the warehouse has a terrible job, his mrs can't/wont work and just fires out children whilst living in thier new 3 bed semi
spencer88

6th Jan 15 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
although it looks like this can be overuled if challenged

The Growth and Infrastructure Act (clause 7) inserts new clauses into s106 of the 1990 Town and Country Planning Act that introduces a new application and appeal procedure for the review of planning obligations on planning permissions which relate to the provision of affordable housing. The changes require a council to assess the viability arguments, to renegotiate previously agreed affordable housing levels in a S106, and change the affordable housing requirement or face an appeal.

An appeal can be made if the authority does not modify the planning obligation as requested, or fails to make a determination within a specified time. Obligations which include a "requirement relating to the provision of housing that is, or is to be made available, for people whose needs are not adequately served by the commercial housing market" are within scope of this new procedure.

The application and appeal procedure will assess the viability of affordable housing requirements only. It will not reopen any other planning policy considerations or review the merits of the permitted scheme.

These new application and appeal procedures don't replace existing powers to renegotiate Section 106 agreements on a voluntary basis. In addition, this provision related to affordable housing does not replace the provisions to modify an obligation set out in the 1992 regulations and updated by the 2013 regulations (see above).

- See more at: http://www.pas.gov.uk/3-community-infrastructure-levy-cil/-/journal_content/56/332612/4090701/ARTICLE#sthash.GVAuCYbj.dpuf

From that, I would only guess a developer would use it to reduce the level of affordable housing, not increase it.

Affordable housing is not all bad, don't forget, if a scheme has say 40% affordable, a share of those homes will be discounted sale which anyone with a link to the area can apply for, so not just your scummy mummy types.
dan_m1les

6th Jan 15 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a 2nd viewing tomorrow after work of the 3 bed existing house. Taking the folks too to see what they think

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll