corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » DIY disaster stories

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIY disaster stories
a_j_mair

User status: Offline
19th Jan 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So at the weekend i installed an integrated dishwasher i say installed i mean half installed as there are pipes on the back wall and i cant get it all the way back in the recess, going to have to move pipes around.

The wahing machine used to be in that space so i have moved it to the end under the breakfast bar and moved the tumble dryer into the cupboard at the back door.

So i had to do a little plumbing for the washing machine waste under the sink on that side.

Got a t piece with dishwasher outlet at BnQ and installed it no problem connected up the washing machine and sorted

well untill water started leaking everywhere

so took it all to bits checked it and refitted it all

tried to rinse and spin again and ended up with even more water in the drum

Was lights flashing so looked up the net and found it was either drain blocked or pressure valve stuck on open

So pulled machine out as far as i could which then squished up all the lyno

So disconnected the waste to try and drain it manually when i noticed the T-piece needs the end nib cut off would explain the water spraying every where

so got it cut off reinstalled and pressed the button and away it went, all drained and no problems thank god for that

thought i had fucked the machine

So i then proccedded to put all the detergent and stuff back in cupboard below the sink then pushed the machine back in and low and behold the lyno that had all folded up then got caught and ripped and we know have a whole in the floor

plan on tiling all the floor soon anyway but what a ball ache

So what are everyones DIY disaster stories
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

19th Jan 10 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they guys who did our house before we bought it did everything with no arms by the looks of it

any jobs i do now takes 10 times longer as i have to start from the beggining with it all

eg wanted to re grout the shower area. ended up with a full new bathroom

[Edited on 19-01-2010 by IvIarkgraham]
mattk

19th Jan 10 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
So disconnected the waste to try and drain it manually when i noticed the T-piece needs the end nib cut off

loads of people do that
a_j_mair

19th Jan 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
So disconnected the waste to try and drain it manually when i noticed the T-piece needs the end nib cut off

loads of people do that

first time i plumbed it in i left a bung inside the t piece
dannymccann

20th Jan 10 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I did the washing machine in our old place I left a bung in but it didnt piss everywhere, it just wouldnt do anything and it was properly confusing
Colin

20th Jan 10 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Washing machine/dishwasher waste's catch out a lot of people.

Can work either the way mentioned above or as happened to my mate - move into a new upstairs flat, washing machines been disconnected by previous owner & next thing you know 3 days worth of dishes water & minging water from decorating ends up going straight thru & down the back of the cabinet flooding out the new downstairs neighbour!!

Ive never had any major diy errors I dont think......I try to live by measure twice, cut once & seem to do ok
Twiggy

20th Jan 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or measure by eye once and swear twice
Neo

20th Jan 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never personally had anything like this happen, had to finish off loads of stuff in my apartment which the developers fucked up - regrouting the bathroom, plastering to the door frames as there was large gaps, using aerial cable rather than 4core electric wire

Parents house on the other hand was very amusing. Took a cupboard off the wall in the kitchen and the plaster on the wall collapsed
Toby
Premium Member

20th Jan 10 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drilled through a water pipe at my mums other week, which in fairness i didnt know was there as the new recntly installed bathroom had meant pipes to the showers pump had been redirected under the floor boards
Bonney

20th Jan 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did one last night that wass nearly the end for me.

The pull cord on the shower had snapped so we ended up replacing the whole switch.

Went downstairs to the fusebox, And turned the shower, upstairs sockets and lights off.

Took the switch out of the ceiling, Went to unscrew one of the terminals then BANG, Im off the ladder and sat on the toilet

Turns out whichever tool wired outr house up and didnt put the right wires to the right switches in the box, Which is a right pain in the arse and to be honest bloody dangerous!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

20th Jan 10 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive done similar bonney!

taking my electric shower off and i didnt turn the power off. my arm nearly came out its socket
Colin

20th Jan 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had a belt from a kitchen socket some cock had managed to wire up the wrong side of the consumer unit.
oceansoul

20th Jan 10 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66
Did one last night that wass nearly the end for me.

The pull cord on the shower had snapped so we ended up replacing the whole switch.

Went downstairs to the fusebox, And turned the shower, upstairs sockets and lights off.

Took the switch out of the ceiling, Went to unscrew one of the terminals then BANG, Im off the ladder and sat on the toilet

Turns out whichever tool wired outr house up and didnt put the right wires to the right switches in the box, Which is a right pain in the arse and to be honest bloody dangerous!

Thats why you should always test its dead before touching anything.

Not a disaster on my part, but someones:

I once isolated a 3 phase 400v motor at a local isolator, took the wiring cover off and tested it found it was still live! Went back to the isolator, took the cover off and found someone had bypassed the isolator on all 3 phases! Went back to the dist board and isolated there.
jungle

21st Jan 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha ive done a few

whilst fixing down floorboards i screwed thru a hot water pipe lol lets just say its does'nt get any colder when your holding the pipe

also had a load of electric shocks also but don't seem to do much to me?? i think thats why my dad lets me do those sorta things for him

also whilst painting the inlaws soffits on thre house i managed to sneeze and when backwards on the ladder 3/4 of the way up and landed in a garden bush lol
Matty SRi

21st Jan 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also whilst painting the inlaws soffits on thre house i managed to sneeze and when backwards on the ladder 3/4 of the way up and landed in a garden bush lol

i used to be a window cleaner and i done the exact same thing myself, up putting water on the window then out of nowhere... "ACHOOOO"! fell backwards straight onto the grass!
Bonney

21st Jan 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having the ladders slide on you is another good one. Did that in my first job and took the guttering off an old ladys proch roof. Also put 2 nice scrapes down her new block paved driveway
jungle

21st Jan 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty SRi

i used to be a window cleaner and i done the exact same thing myself, up putting water on the window then out of nowhere... "ACHOOOO"! fell backwards straight onto the grass!
funny eh but not at the time
x14xe sport

22nd Jan 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wiping the floor with this one, not a personal diy failure but i'm a joiner/builder by trade and got a call from a bloke who wanted the roof putting on an extension he had built himself, it was two storeys high. must of be a foot bow in the wall, it was 3 ft out of square wasnt level by a dood 3-4" where the base plate for the roof timbers sits but the best bit NO FOUNDATIONS!!!!! i kid you not he mowed the lawn and started building. i just walked away before it fell on me
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Jan 10 at 00:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bonney

24th Jan 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do people get away with things like that.

When i was working for a roofer, We went to do a job building a second storey on an existing extention that didn't have planning permission for the existing extention, Was out of level, square and looked like it was built by a kid.

We had to dig down to see how deep the footings where, then try to build on top of it level and square.

It would have been easier to knock the existing down and start again!
Kano

26th Jan 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Painting our living room a couple of months ago, I took the switches etc off the walls to paint behind. I forgot I'd turned the power back on, caught the metal sleave on the paint brush on a wire and sent myself accross the room.
Toby
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
Painting our living room a couple of months ago, I took the switches etc off the walls to paint behind. I forgot I'd turned the power back on, caught the metal sleave on the paint brush on a wire and sent myself accross the room.

My borther did the same a few years back. My dad had taken on the socket fr the light switch and he went to turn it on boom, just happened to have two lives in there aswell for added burn marks
cjohnson

29th Jan 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your dad took the light switch off and left live wires hanging out? Sorry but LOL
Bonney

30th Jan 10 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I think i have just seen a disaster to end all disasters. Went around to a mates, He could smell gas, Not a great deal just the odd whiff as he put it, And i am not joking here, Was looking around the boiler with a lighter.

Did some people have their common sense removed at birth
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th Jan 10 at 05:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll