corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microsoft Band

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microsoft Band
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Mar 15 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a mate over there who can sort me out
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My understanding is that they're pretty much perpetually sold out in physical stores, and those ordered online in the States won't ship until 1st April.

I've had my mum (who lives in Pennsylvania) check in at her local Microsoft store whenever she's nearby since November last year (typically once a month); they've always been out of stock - they sell as soon as they hit the shelves apparently.

Also bear in mind that depending on where your pal lives, it'll be $200 + local sales tax (circa 6%). So you're looking at $212 (£140) from the off. Then you've got international shipping (assume another tenner - so we're up to £150), and possibly import duty and ParcelFarce's 'handling fee' if it gets caught by HMRC on its way in.

All this assuming it arrives in fully working order - what if it's borked on arrival?

Not worth the faff for the matter of saving £10 and/or about a week IMO.
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worth tapping up your mate for an Amazon Echo if you're having a package sent over:

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae
kz

19th Mar 15 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're back in stock in the US now (all sizes) but won't be released until 6th April, definitely not worth the faffing around, as you say.

I will probably pre-order soon Rob, but I'm considering using Amazon instead... I know there's no Quidco but it's so easy to send stuff back to Amazon, and I think I want to order two sizes to try out. Have you ever sent stuff back to Microsoft for a refund? I've heard a few horror stories on other forums, although I think they were US based.
evilrob
Premium Member

19th Mar 15 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't had to send anything back to Microsoft per se - I had an issue with my Lumia phone since they bought Nokia and getting that sorted was a right ballache (but it did get sorted in the end - they just sent me a new phone following a lot of noise from me after claiming at first my complaints weren't covered by warranty).

I imagine it's a total pain in the arse to return stuff to Microsoft given how fucking shocking it is to actually even order anything from them in the first place! Their web store is awful.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Mar 15 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah youre right no point ordering from the states
nathy_87

19th Mar 15 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now this is much better than the Apple Watch. Something I'll be looking out for.
kz

20th Mar 15 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had an online chat with Microsoft and they've confirmed both delivery and returns are free... so might pull the trigger on this whilst the cashback is still running.
Steve
Premium Member

26th Mar 15 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im afraid I just read this will not be waterproof, this has kinda killed it for me, dont wanna keep taking it on and off to have a shower etc. Was planning on having a wank and watching my heart rate
evilrob
Premium Member

26th Mar 15 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Im afraid I just read this will not be waterproof, this has kinda killed it for me, dont wanna keep taking it on and off to have a shower etc. Was planning on having a wank and watching my heart rate

You're gonna need to take it off at least once a day to charge it anyway - I was planning on leaving it to charge whilst showering so the waterproofness or lack thereof is not a concern for me.
Steve
Premium Member

26th Mar 15 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, im thinking when they bring out a band that is kinectically charging and waterproof that may be worth a purchase
evilrob
Premium Member

26th Mar 15 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kz

28th Mar 15 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you planning to wear it at night for the sleep monitoring then? Don't think I could handle something on my wrist whilst I sleep! I ordered two in the end, couldn't resist the Quidco lol. Oh and btw in case you haven't seen this, tons of information...

http://static.windows81book.com/Microsoft%20Band%20Field%20Guide%201.02.pdf
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice guide! Good old Paul Thurrott...

While we're sharing all things Band, you may or may not be interested in one of these 3D-printed charging stands:

Available here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/S8GP9Z9ZP/microsoft-band-charging-stand
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if I wear this on a run does it store the run info or do I need to carry my phone too?
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Mar 15 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
so if I wear this on a run does it store the run info or do I need to carry my phone too?

You do not need to carry your phone; it has built-in GPS and will sync back with your phone.

If you're a RunKeeper user, you can link your Microsoft Health and RunKeeper accounts.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 00:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how accurate is the gps?
could it track you accurately enough whilst playing football?
evilrob
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The GPS will be just as (in)accurate as any other GPS - i.e. to within about 8 metres.

Whether that's accurate enough for your purposes I don't know.
kz

29th Mar 15 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah seen that stand, I'll probably get one but it's meant to be very lightweight. The guy has released a metal bit to go over it and make it more stable but it costs more than the stand does!
evilrob
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Yeah seen that stand, I'll probably get one but it's meant to be very lightweight. The guy has released a metal bit to go over it and make it more stable but it costs more than the stand does!

I've ordered one and a metal base, so I'll let you know if it's worth it or not. (almost certainly not at about £40 all in including postage; I bought a set mostly because I admire the guy's entrepreneurship!)
evilrob
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kz - if you do want one of those stands, I've got a 10% off coupon for Shapeways. U2U me if you want it.
Steve
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cunt I only ordered something from shape ways earlier lol
evilrob
Premium Member

29th Mar 15 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh! Sorry old chap!
kz

29th Mar 15 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
kz - if you do want one of those stands, I've got a 10% off coupon for Shapeways. U2U me if you want it.

Cheers dude, I'll let you know!
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Mar 15 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run or walk 26.2 miles using a RunKeeper app in April to be entered into a draw to win one of 10 Microsoft Bands:

http://runkeeper.com/challenge/microsoftbandmarathon

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll