corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Man cave/games room

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Man cave/games room
johnny86
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Oct 14 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I'm moving next week and I want to build a cinema room under the garden with a games room on top.

My idea was to dig a hole 9 ft deep 21ft wide and drop in a 20ft shipping container then make a hole in the top for stairs then plonk another one on top then clad the outside.

Do I need planning? The thing is that it's a council house we will be buying in 5 years. So sorta wanted it on the hush hush. I have everything except the containers to do this.

Much advice appreciate
RichR
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A) have you seen the price of containers?
B) are you digging by hand? I'm at 4 ft depth, 4 metres out and 7/8m across and it's fucking hardwork by hand. That's just excavating flat before I've thought of digging the footings.
C) how do you intend to keep the container insulated from the ground around it?
D) how do you intend to keep the water out of it?
John

14th Oct 14 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't wait to see pictures of this.
Marc

14th Oct 14 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

E) How do you plan to get the shipping contain er in the back garden? Crane costs will be huge.
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
A) have you seen the price of containers?
B) are you digging by hand? I'm at 4 ft depth, 4 metres out and 7/8m across and it's fucking hardwork by hand. That's just excavating flat before I've thought of digging the footings.
C) how do you intend to keep the container insulated from the ground around it?
D) how do you intend to keep the water out of it?

A) boss has 2 for sale for 2000 the pair
B) with a digger got good access at rear of garden
C) was going to concrete around the one in the floor then brick up 5-6 courses of bricks on the outside of top then feather age the rest of top
D) haven't thought of that.

John fuck off.
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
E) How do you plan to get the shipping contain er in the back garden? Crane costs will be huge.

Container on 7.5 ton empty scaffold wagon and use the same digger I'm using to dig hole to lift container off and plonk in ground.

We used the same method for my bosses secret office at he's house
RichR
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mean thermal insulation, I mean isolating it from the earth around it - concrete is porous so that won't work. At the least I'd think you'd need to put proper footings in followed by pouring a slab onto visqueen. Then put the container down followed by infilling with shingle, concrete or similar barriered between the container and earth around it by more visqueen so that there's no risk of moisture and minerals in the earth attacking the container. It'll be below the watercourse so you'll need to either keep the water out of it somehow, similar to the above or allow for it by having a pumped sump to get rid of any water like most big cellars have.

BUT, that's just thinking out loud and is probably bollocks.
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
I don't mean thermal insulation, I mean isolating it from the earth around it - concrete is porous so that won't work. At the least I'd think you'd need to put proper footings in followed by pouring a slab onto visqueen. Then put the container down followed by infilling with shingle, concrete or similar barriered between the container and earth around it by more visqueen so that there's no risk of moisture and minerals in the earth attacking the container. It'll be below the watercourse so you'll need to either keep the water out of it somehow, similar to the above or allow for it by having a pumped sump to get rid of any water like most big cellars have.

BUT, that's just thinking out loud and is probably bollocks.

I think your right. I need all the advice I can get before I start smashing up the place. My boss said make a slap at the bottom and place container on that.

I thought concrete around the side would stop the eater and moisture from getting to the underground container.
Dave

14th Oct 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can make concrete waterproof with additives, although there is more involved than simply adding something to the mix. There are also some really good clay filled fabrics you can use to waterproof a new basement. Neither is particularly easy if you don't know what you are doing though, and the fact you hadn't considered waterproofing suggests you don't.

Also have you considered how much it's going to cost to cart the muck away and tip it?
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got somewhere I can get rid of all the excess stuff from the ground. And no to be honest I haven't got a clue.

For years I've wanted a cinema room and games room for me and the boys as I don't go out much
Dave

14th Oct 14 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think every bloke fancies a room that's just for him, it's the same as old boys and their sheds. Doing it below ground is always going to be costly though and a lot to go wrong, water is a pain in the arse at finding a way in to where you don't want it.
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm searching through Google and I'm gonna ask a few builder mates
Dave

14th Oct 14 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look into a material called Bentofix, or equivalent. Relatively easy to use and I don't think it's that expensive but it's really effective.
johnny86
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about waterproof paint such as bichams or something alike?
Ste
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked into this a while ago. The general concensus is to dig your hole bigger than the container at least a foot around it and build a stone floor with drains running into a sump. In the sump you need a decent pump and that gets rid of the water. then seal around the top with boards and make a concrete slab on that with re-bar in it.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

14th Oct 14 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Gary
Premium Member

15th Oct 14 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deffo trying to build a grow den
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

15th Oct 14 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked all the water/electric/sewage points and they don't cross the garden?
spencer88

15th Oct 14 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure you will have to wait until you buy the house.

Not something the council will be keen on.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Oct 14 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FPMSL
Ben G

15th Oct 14 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A guy on Grand Designs a few weeks ago built a house out of shipping containers. Might be worth watching for ideas?
Hammer

15th Oct 14 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is genius.
Ben G

15th Oct 14 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does sound pretty far fetched, but i'm sure people thought that about all these other nutters who thought outside of the box.
Gavin
Premium Member

15th Oct 14 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste

ALL that for a fooking wine cellar!! WTF!

pew pew pew pewwwww
Jay

16th Oct 14 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gavin
quote:
Originally posted by Ste

ALL that for a fooking wine cellar!! WTF!

Thats a hell of a lot of work for a games room!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll