corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nexus 4 Issues

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nexus 4 Issues
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
15th Sep 14 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So over the last few months having some really odd issues with this phone.

Firstly, it started using battery like no tomorrow, sort of to be expected given its 18 months old but i wasnt expecting this level. It will use maybe 20-30% of its battery, while on standby mode, with everything except mobile data/signal turned off (no bluetooth, wifi, sync, all apps closed etc) in 2-3 hours. Never used to do this, even on aeroplane mode it will manage to ditch 10-20%. When you check battery usage its usually the android operating system

Now its just turning itself off when it gets to between 30-60% battery left, not only that but using the internet is almost nigh on impossible as its also started to jump to "emergency calls only" mode randomly. You'll have signal, not move the phone, then it will just drop out, you stop doing whatever you're doing on the internet, then the signal pops back only to drop straight back off again when you go to start using data again. It tends to only do this once you're passed 70% on the battery, so im thinking it could maybe all be linked?

Another weird thing with it was i was using it to upload a picture to FB when it started doing its data/signal, on/off thing the other night, then the phone just turned off, this was when it was displaying 50% odd battery left, wouldnt turn back on. Just put it in my pocket until i got home, put it on charge and it started charging from 50% (doesnt always do this most the time it does it from 0%), turned the phone on, all started up like normal, clicked FB and my status was still there, with the photo written out just how i left it when it had died, not done that before, most the time it forgets everything and even sometimes changes the wallpaper to the default the phone comes with.

Cant find anything online, so wondered if any of the techies in here have a clue whats going on Probably picked up some dodgy virus from somewhere.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Sep 14 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A phone reset might help sort out any bugs:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20reset%20nexus%204

This sounds like a silly question but it isn't the power cable is it? I found that using aftermarket power cables (usb) they don't provide the right voltage or something to the phone and it doesn't charge properly.

If all else fails, upgrade to the Nexus 5, that will sort it out
Dom

15th Sep 14 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suspect it's a dodge battery but first i'd try a few cycles of depleting the battery completely and charging the battery back to full (with the phone off) in hope that it resets the battery stats.
You can also try the app, Wake lock Detector (need root if on KK) which will highlight any problematic apps that are continuously waking up. And if you are rooted then you can run Greenify which will force (selected) apps to hibernate, handy for social media apps and others that just sit in the background eating your battery.

Failing that, backup and do a hard reset and keep an eye on the apps you install and how they affect battery life.
JonnyJ

15th Sep 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
A phone reset might help sort out any bugs:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20reset%20nexus%204

This sounds like a silly question but it isn't the power cable is it? I found that using aftermarket power cables (usb) they don't provide the right voltage or something to the phone and it doesn't charge properly.

If all else fails, upgrade to the Nexus 5, that will sort it out

I'll be doing that come upgrade time in Jan Unless the 6 is out then.

The power cable is an interesting one. The usb plug for mine died, so i started using a Kindle one (with the kindle wire) and before i remembered i had that, i was using the normal usb cable that came with the phone, but power it through a laptop, i think thats when these problems really started...I actually didnt think it would make a difference but its certainly something to look at. One thing I've noticed is that it very rarely charges up to 100%, usually about 96%, even when its been on all night. Might have to invest in a nexus 4 charger and try that and do a full cycle like Dom suggested below.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I suspect it's a dodge battery but first i'd try a few cycles of depleting the battery completely and charging the battery back to full (with the phone off) in hope that it resets the battery stats.
You can also try the app, Wake lock Detector (need root if on KK) which will highlight any problematic apps that are continuously waking up. And if you are rooted then you can run Greenify which will force (selected) apps to hibernate, handy for social media apps and others that just sit in the background eating your battery.

Failing that, backup and do a hard reset and keep an eye on the apps you install and how they affect battery life.

If its not the cable i think its probably the battery, would this account for the strange on/off signal though? The phone I've got i *think* is a refurb. Cracked my screen a few months back and sent it away to my insurance to repair, they did say they may replace it with a refurb. Either way it came back completely wiped so its only got my bare essential apps added (Boat browser, FB/twitter, YT etc), when I've checked battery stats in the past its usually just been the OS thats been using the most, sometimes Boat Browser if I've been using the internet a bit.

I'll get a new cable/charger, see if that works, if not, do a full reset and see if that solves anything. Pain in the arse not being able to just replace the battery on these things!

Cheers chaps
Cavey

15th Sep 14 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a few "kindle" chargers from Amazon which charge my 4 far quicker than the standard charger did, doesn't seem to have affected the battery life at all.

The only minor issue i've had is twice it's been "dead" in the morning when i've woken up (missed the alarm once because of it), just had to hold the power button down until it started up though. And all was fine then.

The internet thing, happens occasionally for me, but I put it down to the network rather than the phone, hasn't happened in a while now so unsure what was causing it.

My upgrade is due at the start of Dec, but for a nearly 2 year old phone it's held up remarkably well.

--- "it should mean that we see the Nexus 6 around late October/early November." ---- from the first site I found on google. Which would be nice

[Edited on 15-09-2014 by Cavey]
dannymccann

15th Sep 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 4 occasionally does that random turning off thing, used to do it on FB Messenger when taking a pic to put straight in the app, but an app update fixed that.

A few apps recently have been not closing properly and hogging the CPU, causing excessive battery drain and the phone to run hot. I have CM Security on my phone as an AV/Cleaner/do everything kind of tool, and it notifies me when an app is misbehaving so I can force close it - might be worth a try?
willay
Premium Member

16th Sep 14 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let us know how you get on JJ
JonnyJ

17th Sep 14 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Just used it from "fully charged" this morning and it was dead in 1hr 20 Had an indicated 70% left at the time it died

Im going to fully charge it, while off and see if it makes much of a difference
pow
Premium Member

17th Sep 14 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a mullared battery to me.
JonnyJ

17th Sep 14 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably. Pain the arse you cant just buy a replacement and pop in another.
Munchie

17th Sep 14 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its battery, heres how to change it

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781
JonnyJ

17th Sep 14 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would 100% end up with a fully broken phone if i attempted that
Munchie

17th Sep 14 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send it over and ill sort it
JonnyJ

17th Sep 14 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much Munchie? U2U if you prefer
willay
Premium Member

19th Sep 14 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:

Just used it from "fully charged" this morning and it was dead in 1hr 20 Had an indicated 70% left at the time it died

Im going to fully charge it, while off and see if it makes much of a difference

with a new 'proper' cable&plug?
JonnyJ

20th Sep 14 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not yet Willay, it seems quite difficult to find a proper Nexus 4 plug.

Heres an example of my phones randomness this morning

Took it off charge, used it, then it died, tried to turn it on, nothing, plugged it back in, noticed the battery icon was displaying it was charging from 50%, turned it on, 53% displayed, took it straight off and its still working now, but i havent used it much.

Makes no sense.
willay
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at your current plug/cable setup for the Nexus, what is the output amps? It should be 2amps output for a proper charge.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Look at your current plug/cable setup for the Nexus, what is the output amps? It should be 2amps output for a proper charge.

Think you might be onto something here. Just checked the plug im using to put the usb cable into and its out is 0.55a
willay
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be onto something? Niggga I mentioned it in my first comment 9 days ago
ed

24th Sep 14 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's your issue - I've found that my Nexus doesn't charge unless it's plugged into the supplied adapter. It doesn't charge properly if I plug it into a USB socket, a Samsung charger, an iPhone charger, an Anker, my car e.t.c. It's a bit annoying actually!
willay
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just needs to be the higher rated socket/plug/converter etc. Some new motherboards now have a feature where you can charge your phone using certain usb ports when its off etc.
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Might be onto something? Niggga I mentioned it in my first comment 9 days ago

I know, i know

I was just using Jonny logic that the phone was displaying 100% charge so it MUST be charging and the battery must be stuff seeing as its switching off at between 45 and 75%

Out of interest, if this is this issue, i assume this will sort the bizarre issue of my singal cutting out the second i try to use data?
willay
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends if you are on O2 or not

[Edited on 24-09-2014 by willay]
JonnyJ

24th Sep 14 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Three. Only started doing since this battery issue started getting worse.

I'll get hold of a 2a plug and try it out, if this doesnt fix it its getting frisbee'd through my window and into the sea.
willay
Premium Member

24th Sep 14 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll buy it for £10

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll