corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » External Microphones

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author External Microphones
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Sep 14 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking for an external microphone that I can use for recording audio (from different locations in/on the car) during track days.

Just to add another dimension i'm hoping that I can utilise it both with my phone and with a gopro (hero 3+).

Having done some work on Google it would seem that using the go pro 3.5mm adapter and the headphone socket on my phone it should be. Can anyone confirm if its possible? And if so any recommendations?
Dom

8th Sep 14 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at DSLR shotgun mics from the likes of AKG, Sennheiser, Rode, Audio Technica etc. If you want a narrow/focused field, for recording speech whilst minimising surrounding noise, then look at a (mics polar pattern) cardioid mic; otherwise if it's just for ambience then a omni-directional would be better suited.
And keep in mind that condenser mics (rather than dynamic mics) need power (aka 'phantom power', usually +48V) and while most external condensers aimed at DSLR's/cameras have/include battery packs, not all do; in which case you need something like a Beachtek.

As for your phone, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Are you wanting to use the mic on your phone as well?
If the latter, then you usually need a 3.5mm 4-pin (L+R audio, Gnd, Mic) to 3.5mm mic adaptor cable for it to work.
Toby
Premium Member

8th Sep 14 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Look at DSLR shotgun mics from the likes of AKG, Sennheiser, Rode, Audio Technica etc. If you want a narrow/focused field, for recording speech whilst minimising surrounding noise, then look at a (mics polar pattern) cardioid mic; otherwise if it's just for ambience then a omni-directional would be better suited.
And keep in mind that condenser mics (rather than dynamic mics) need power (aka 'phantom power', usually +48V) and while most external condensers aimed at DSLR's/cameras have/include battery packs, not all do; in which case you need something like a Beachtek.

As for your phone, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Are you wanting to use the mic on your phone as well?
If the latter, then you usually need a 3.5mm 4-pin (L+R audio, Gnd, Mic) to 3.5mm mic adaptor cable for it to work.

Essentially I will be using it to generally capture audio outside of car, with the camera inside so it would need to omni-directional. It doesn't need to be able to record multiple audio tracks, the one would suffice. If possible I want to have the luxury of chopping and changing between my (android) phone and my gopro if not possible then its essential for my phone (using a TSSR connection i would imagine?) to be connected.

I had looked at Rode & Audio Technica and they both seem to do the job (certainly with the phone) without any additional connections (Does it sound right that my phone has the TSSR connection already?) but everything seems to be £40+ which is probably a bit more than i'm wanting to spend, I also unsure on whether they were any good and I'm also unsure weather it would would on the gopro too which is why I haven't committed to anything.

New Poll