corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Cheap Switch

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheap Switch
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Sep 14 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need some cheap switches, they need the following:

At least a couple of PoE interfaces
Support VLANs and Spanning-Tree
Have two interfaces to allow SingleMode LC fibre

I've basically got a site with 8 buildings, all connected via fibre. My Network/IT/CME equipment is in Building 1, I've got an additional switch in building 2 as this will become the office environment, but for safety purposes I may need an IP phone in every other building.

It may be a SINGLE phone in the other buildings, and based on the 2960 switches I usually buy it's probably going to be $2k per building, just for one phone

I thought about Fibre convertors, but they're not very scalable - though you can get PoE ones apparently.

I mention two fibre interfaces because the buildings are in a Fibre ring, so for redundancy I'll be linking the whole lot around - also hence the Spanning Tree.

I've NEVER shopped for non-Cisco stuff before, but wondered if there are any cheaper solutions around for what I need. I'm pretty sure it's the fibre that's killing me, as the bloody GBICs cost as much as some of the smaller switches.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Sep 14 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick with Cisco if you can get away with, if there is only one phone per building why not just fork out the £15 for the power block?
willay
Premium Member

2nd Sep 14 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for non Cisco stuff, a HP E2610 might do the job if they still sell them. We have them here as edge switches (I hate them), but they do 24/48 port configs with or without PoE, and all the other stuff you need. Very cheap in comparison and have lifetime warranty (though I read in some places that cisco do lifetime warranty if you bought it new?)
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Sep 14 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Cisco is lifetime too.

Power blocks are an option, but I get the feeling that PoE isn't driving my price up much - it's the fibre uplink ports (or capability of running them).

GBICs are just a stupid amount of money, there are non-cisco ones for a bit cheaper but had a few of those fail on me, or just not even work in the first place.

In hindsight, I should have had them run 2pair copper to the satellite buildings and then run an ATA or similar and some crappy analogue phones. Hey-ho.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Nismo

2nd Sep 14 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cisco small business 300 series?

http://www.comms-express.com/categories/cisco-10-100-switches-300-series-with-poe-poe/

[Edited on 02-09-2014 by Nismo]
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Sep 14 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crikey, good find - never looked at the small business stuff before, why is it so cheap?!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

2nd Sep 14 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are problems with the 300 series stuff...

One site where cost is an issue I'm using netgear prosafes and they are good as gold.
willay
Premium Member

3rd Sep 14 at 07:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the small stuff isn't 'proper' cisco, afaik there isnt much access to IOS (its quite cut down), its just not what you'd expect from standard IOS devices imo.
willay
Premium Member

3rd Sep 14 at 07:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

Power blocks are an option, but I get the feeling that PoE isn't driving my price up much - it's the fibre uplink ports (or capability of running them).

GBICs are just a stupid amount of money, there are non-cisco ones for a bit cheaper but had a few of those fail on me, or just not even work in the first place.

In hindsight, I should have had them run 2pair copper to the satellite buildings and then run an ATA or similar and some crappy analogue phones. Hey-ho.

Lots of people use third party gbics with no issues, I cant comment personally but its in wide use.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Sep 14 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

Lots of people use third party gbics with no issues, I cant comment personally but its in wide use.

Seems even Cisco stuff ain't reliable anymore, had an ASA just drop dead at a satellite office today meaning no internet, no DHCP and no VPN back to base. Luckily I happened to be at that Satellite so swapped it out for a 1921 I just happened to have knocking around...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

3rd Sep 14 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an ASA that used to shut the Fa ports down whenever it felt like it. Never got to the bottom of it.
John

3rd Sep 14 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some newer lower end Cisco phone system/router things and I greatly dislike them. They aren't that much more stable than another random brand.
Nismo

3rd Sep 14 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive never really had any issues with the 300 series.

I have in the last 18 months deployed over 700 Netgear GS110TP in to a retail environment and had all but 2 failures (6 months after install) good switches for a good price.

http://www.comms-express.com/products/netgear-gs110tp/

And lifetime warranty
John

3rd Sep 14 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cisco phones/systems are funny with non Cisco switches.
willay
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 06:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use exclusively Cisco POE phones with HP PoE switches, we have 0 issues.
John

4th Sep 14 at 06:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cisco guys setting it all up must have been idiots (completely plausible)
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Sep 14 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
We use exclusively Cisco POE phones with HP PoE switches, we have 0 issues.

I've been told that Cisco phones CAN be flakey on non-Cisco networks but never witnessed it myself, as we keep buying Cisco!

I'm not sure if it's just something I've noticed, but Cisco "people" seem irrationally brand loyal and it doesn't surprise me that rumours circulate about things without it ever being the case in a production environment!

A wee update on my situation, I've talked the options through with the business and although 8 x $2000 is not a large amount of money on the scale of the project - they've opted to settle for radio comms in those buildings. Yay for me, but I imagine I'll be revisiting that decision in a few months...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Bart

12th Sep 14 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

without necessarily needing a "cheap switch", any recommendations for a specific switch to the following specs;

-48 Port gigabit
-POE (for VOIP phones to be connected)
-Stackable (with a decent transfer rate).

I think I should be looking at Procurve or Cisco, but any particular models?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

12th Sep 14 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Layer3?
Bart

12th Sep 14 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Layer3?

Not sure.... Currently using 3x GS748T's (without the VOIP equipment).
What benefits do layer3 bring?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th Sep 14 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to segregate the VoIP traffic into it's own vlan for network qos etc. if you don't have it already then I wouldn't worry as you'll be needing to reconfigure a few things
Bart

13th Sep 14 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any real benefit to segregating the VOIP traffic for say.... 30-40 users?
willay
Premium Member

15th Sep 14 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easier management, voip devices don't have to listen to all the broadcast shite happening in the 'main' vlan

New Poll