corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Problem with LG Plasma

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problem with LG Plasma
Neo

User status: Offline
18th Aug 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we have an LG Plasma, not sure on model number

When certain images are on the screen, it looks like its almost shifted sideways - more apparent on horizontal lines, blinds, door frames etc. Animations like family guy, pixar films etc are worst.

Exactly the same is happening from any input - built in tuner, consoles, dvd player etc.

Here is a slightly exaggerated example

Is there a setting or something on the tele that can fix this or is it faulty ? Really beginning to bug me.
Reecemac

18th Aug 14 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps its the 50/60hz mode, try changing it on the source to see if it stops. Usually looks like flashing lines on wide shots etc.
Balling
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a common plasma issue, but I've never seen anything nearly as pronounced as on your illustrations.

Unless the screen is horrible/broken the issue shouldn't be evident on anything but a very light, completely solid background.

If it's a new/increased problem, I'd contact LG (provided the TV is within warranty). It has to do with how power is sent through the panel (one pixel row at a time) so I don't see it as something easily/cheaply fixed by a repair shop.

Neo

18th Aug 14 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take a photo tonight to try and show it exactly.

I'd say it's gotten worse probably because I'm more aware of it, however it's now nearly 2 years old so could be getting worse.

Very frustrating as the screen is amazing normally, every now and again (as you say normally when its something dark vs quite light) it's really obvious.

Ill try playing with hz settings, however it happens on Wii, 360, PS3, DVD player and DVR as well as the built in tuner

Only thing I've not seen it on is the ps4
Jambo

18th Aug 14 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Barnshaw will fix it, drive round his house.

In other more sensible news, I reckon it is also the refresh rate like has been suggested. I turned my 100hz off as it made movies look like eastenders. Perhaps try fiddling with these settings to get a better smoother finish?

My LG LCD "jerks" on panning shots because of this
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant see any difference with those pictures above
Neo

18th Aug 14 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Jambo, will give it a try when I get in.

Mark look at the top of the doorframe on the right family guy. Then then blinds over Michaels face in right gta

Like I said I'll take a photo of an exact issue.
Balling
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I reckon it is also the refresh rate like has been suggested.
As above, it's definitely not.

It has something to do with the current going through a pixel row with areas of high contrast.
Somehow the panel "bottle necks" at the darker pixels and creates a shadow, extending on to the lighter pixels either side of it.

Refresh has nothing at all to do with it. Neo, if you want proof, just display a still image and see that the issue remains.

Neo

18th Aug 14 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First example I saw

And you're right balling it does it when it's paused. Is it something I can get fixed or am I better off relegating this one to the bedroom and replacing it ?
Balling
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no clue, but my guess is it's down to the panel, which means it's not really fixable.

But don't take my word for it. Try giving LG a call. Might be a known issue which should mean it's covered under extended warranty.
If not, try calling a repair shop, see what they say.

It IS very pronounced in that shot, so I can see why it's bothering you. The real world examples I've seen haven't been that visible at all.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh now I see it
BarnshaW

19th Aug 14 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what model is it?
Neo

19th Aug 14 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

50PA650T
BarnshaW

19th Aug 14 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like it could be panel related, if it is and the panel is duffed I could probably help you with it only being 2 years old, you would need to get it independently inspected and get a report, normally a panel dictates its uneconomical to repair and if thats the case as long as you have a report and your receipt I could probably help you.
Neo

19th Aug 14 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff, pretty sure I have the receipt knocking about. How do I get it inspected ?

New Poll