corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LCD / LED / Plasma TVs

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LCD / LED / Plasma TVs
JM_16v

User status: Offline
28th Dec 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros and Cons please?

whats best

looking to buy a 50"ISH Tv for under £700 in Jan
jacko198

28th Dec 11 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use LCD in work (broadcast company) so i have always go e with them. Couldnt tell you why, i have never really bothered to look
Nath

28th Dec 11 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are only a few people on here who I'd listen to with regards to TV's. Balling, Dom, John, and Barnshaw.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Dec 11 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Led is best and i prefer plasma on bigger screens compared to lcd
Rob_Quads

28th Dec 11 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LEDs are normally LCDs - its just he backlight is LEDs not tubes like the older LCDs.

OLED is where its at
Bart

28th Dec 11 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasmas are better imo, generally get better blacks from them.

If it was me, i'd look at a panasonic, cant go wrong with them. I have a pioneer kuro
Dom

28th Dec 11 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
We use LCD in work (broadcast company) so i have always go e with them. Couldnt tell you why, i have never really bothered to look

They won't be TV's though, rather monitors with funky SDI/BNC connections and if it's for remote/outdoor use then it'll be because of weight/power usage/heat etc.

Basic gist though - Plasma, better blacks but heavy (not that it really matters), produce heat and use a tad more power (they're a lot better than they use to be); cold cathode backlit LCD TVs, lighter (again it makes naff all difference), use slightly less power, produce less heat; Led backlit LCD Tvs, even lighter, marginally less power/heat than cold cathode LCDs, 'full' backlit arrays tend (debatable) to produce better colours.

Apart from that you can get good and cack TVs in either types of display and picture quality is subjective. But for £700 you'd be looking at mid-range stuff like Panny ST30 range (50" is around £700), Samsung PS51D550 (ST30 tends to have the better blacks/colours but D550 is better at motion/3D) etc.

Balling knows his shite but i'd be having a look around the AVForums tbh.
Munchie

29th Dec 11 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 55" samsung d8000
JM_16v

29th Dec 11 at 02:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

congrats lol thats not helpful
Balling
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 07:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately, there's not really a definitive answer to the question.
Both LCD and Plasma have got their advantages and disadvantages.

I find, generally, that when you're looking at the middle or bottom of the price range you tend to get more screen quality for your money with plasmas. However, they often look horrible when it comes to case design.

The Panasonic ST30 is definitely a good bet. Seem to hear a lot of positive things about this screen, though I'm yet to experience it.

You will hear a lot of shit about plasmas from people who don't know what they are talking about. As a rule of thumb, if anyone claims to know the absolute truth about TV's, don't take their advice.

Also, as Dom said, have a look at AVForums. Just remember, they tend to focus a lot on the negatives, so you easily get the impression that you wont find a TV worth looking at for less than £ 2.000.

Keep in mind I have only had plasmas so am completely biased myself. You do get very good LCD's today, but I think you will struggle to find a good 50" LCD at your price range.

BarnshaW

29th Dec 11 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what size room is it going into?
JM_16v

29th Dec 11 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bedroom, not very big from about 3.5m from viewing area.

is there a problem with Plasma longevity? i heard they needed to be regased. or is that old news
xa0s
Banned

29th Dec 11 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need a new tv tbh

shame pioneer stopped making plasma's, i love my step-dad's 60" KURO, by far the best set i've watched a film on
Balling
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
is there a problem with Plasma longevity?

No. I think that was an issue ten years ago, but it's just one of the many plasma myths that has stuck.

BarnshaW

29th Dec 11 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

defo used to be more so with older plasmas that gasses over yearas did escape and the birghtness of the screen and quality would be reduced.

my personal opinion of a room that size would probably be an LCD, everyone will have biased opinions on what they have or owned and will say one manufacturer is specifically better then another but for that budget most in the range will be that of similar quality.

in a room that size the heat off a 50" plasma will not doubt be noticable especially in the summer months so i would be swayed more towards and LCD, you can still pick up a decent spec 50" LCD in that size for your budget regardless of what others say.
Balling
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
shame pioneer stopped making plasma's, i love my step-dad's 60" KURO, by far the best set i've watched a film on

The KURO is a fantastic screen. My father has one as well. But were they not in the 1.500 £ area for just a 42" screen?

If so, you still get fantastic plasmas at the highest range. The current Panasonic top models deliver a just unbelievably good picture.

Balling
Premium Member

29th Dec 11 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
in a room that size the heat off a 50" plasma will not doubt be noticable

I'm sure it wont.

JM_16v

29th Dec 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so basically it doesnt matter, its what your happy with really?

apart from a tiny bit of heat and power consumption
BarnshaW

29th Dec 11 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

I'm sure it wont.

i had a 50" tv in a room with a similar if not smaller viewing distance and the heat that came off that thing was unbelieveable, it was stupidly hot! infact we turned the radiator off in the room as it was never needed because the TV gave off so much.
Whittie

29th Dec 11 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

I'm sure it wont.

i had a 50" tv in a room with a similar if not smaller viewing distance and the heat that came off that thing was unbelieveable, it was stupidly hot! infact we turned the radiator off in the room as it was never needed because the TV gave off so much.

That used to happen to me, had a 50" plasma in the bedroom, if I fell asleep with the TV on, i woke up sweating like a mofo.

I've recently got an LED one, seems a better picture to me.
chr15barn3s

29th Dec 11 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has a room so small he has his bed and a chest of drawers at the end with a 50'' Samsung plasma on top. It chucks out so much heat it's ridiculous and the picture quality is awful because it's so close. Would an LCD give a better image if it has to be that close?
BarnshaW

29th Dec 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

generally LCD does have a clearer crisper image and can be watched closer yes, normally have better viewing angles aswell although I am sure this will be disputed on here
Dom

29th Dec 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

apart from a tiny bit of heat and power consumption

Yup; it's all subjective and personal opinion.
As said, have a look on AVForums but Balling is right in that they nitpick panels but at least you have an idea of any known issues/faults.

Older generations plasma's did give off some heat but newer ones are perfectly acceptable tbh. But it's the same with older CRT LCDs; certainly my Samsung CRT LCD knocks out heat like a electric bar-fire.

And re-gasing is a complete myth, plasma panels are sealed units. But as Barnshaw said, they do eventually 'fade' but that's over a 10-15year+ stretch.

Barnshaw - Nothing to dispute, Plasma's have better viewing angles as they aren't backlit.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Dom]
Russ

29th Dec 11 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 32" lcd in bedroom and it gets HOT, it is 4 years old though
BarnshaW

29th Dec 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Barnshaw - Nothing to dispute, Plasma's have better viewing angles as they aren't backlit.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by Dom]

it depends on other things aswell, some of the more recent IPS modules on LCD screens give extremely good viewing angles , however i have a funny feeling most sets over 47" dont use this module so i guess for the larger sets it may well be correct.

except for LG in which all units use an IPS module on all sizes.

[Edited on 29-12-2011 by BarnshaW]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll