corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Extension Leads and Amps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Extension Leads and Amps
dannymccann

User status: Offline
15th Aug 14 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea on electrics, know there's a couple of sparks on here.

Need an extension lead for the garden for the mower / leafblower. The blower is rated at 2500W, which at 240v = 10.4 Amps according to an online calculator.

Therefore, am I right in thinking the 10m 5A extension reel I'm looking at is no good?

Thanks
baza31

15th Aug 14 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5amp extension lead ?Is it one of these surge protected computer extension leads. You can pick a 5m standard lead up for less than a tenner . If it's just a straight forward extension lead you have just put a bigger fuse in it?
dannymccann

15th Aug 14 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Extention reel, one of the ones that rolls itself back up nicely and you keep in the shed or garage, not a bar for indoors...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=PL13863
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

15th Aug 14 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I missing something? That link says 13 Amps.
John

15th Aug 14 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
5amp extension lead ?Is it one of these surge protected computer extension leads. You can pick a 5m standard lead up for less than a tenner . If it's just a straight forward extension lead you have just put a bigger fuse in it?

Great advice, stick a fuse in for higher than the cable is rated for, can't go wrong.
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Aug 14 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wound ones are usually rated higher if the cable is unwound. Only when its still on the reel that its low.

5A is no good but that might not been down to the cable.
dannymccann

16th Aug 14 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Am I missing something? That link says 13 Amps.

The one I found before was 5A, looked further down and saw the 13A one, normally I wouldnt even both looking but when I saw how much power this leaf blower apparently uses (same as a kettle which is always plugged straight into the wall) I thought I better make sure
ash_corsa

17th Aug 14 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.5mm flex with 13a fuse will be fine. Just make sure any extension leads are used with an RCD if your fuse board doesn't have one already and are fully unwound before using as you'll end up with a sticky mess and possibly fire!
Ste
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have been on 230v for many years btw.

This is good quality and fairly cheap

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/extension-leads/extension_leads___adaptors/-specificproducttype-4_socket/Masterplug-4-Socket-Heavy-Duty-Extension-Lead-10m-EXS13410-WP-MS-10549109?ecamp=SEAPLA11039641&ef_id=UvjpfgAAAA2h3u1R:20140818134812:s&noCookies=false

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.

New Poll