corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone 6 Thread

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone 6 Thread
John

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 14 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the 5.5" thing. This 1+1 is massive. I'm kind of getting used to it but it's still massive. I don't know at what point if the phone is too small you pull out a tablet, I think the Nexus 5 size has reached that for me.
Dom

3rd Sep 14 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Loads of people in my company would dissagree with you there. We have 8 character including numbers and capitals requirement on our phones so just using your fingerprint instead is a HUGE advantage. Everyone I know with the 5S with work connectivity is using the capability.

Fact that the sensor can easily be fooled (same as the one on the S5) makes me question why you're using it in an SMB/enterprise situation Personally, it isn't worth saving a few seconds over security.

Rob_Quads

3rd Sep 14 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally think that the fingerprint is much more secure than the password. Yes it can be hacked if you really want to but its a hell of a lot harder than the password.

Work with someone for a morning and you would easily have thier password. Much like credit card pin numbers - stand behind someone at the till and 9/10 you can get thier pin from them.
Dom

3rd Sep 14 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
....its a hell of a lot harder than the password.

Unless you know the persons password (or their inept at entering it in that they reveal it to neighbouring people) then brute-forcing a strong random eight character password is going to be nigh impossible on most devices (unless the device is exploitable to bypass the password protection).

Grabbing a decent print off the device or anything they've touched, whilst isn't a piece of piss, isn't particularly difficult. And producing the "gummy" print just takes a quick trip down to your local Maplin's.

Either way, i wouldn't be resting a companies security on shoddy fingerprint recognition and i don't with my clients security; any grumbles i've had off clients' employees around passwords is met with a 'go forth' or return company devices and be removed of external data access.
Rob_Quads

3rd Sep 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whilst I agree you should always hide your pin code from people it doesn't happen and so working out someones password is fairly easy. Our phones lock out after 5 minutes so if your using your phone you will be unlocking it many times per day.

You make it sound simple to pull a finger print from an item. From the report written up by the guy that did it on the 5S mentioned that it needed a very clean print, if it was at all smudged it was useless this meant it wasn't just a case of finding somemthing he had touched as most things wouldn't have enough or a clean enough print.

Its back to the same argument. If you know whos phone your stealing such that you know where to get the print from you equally also could get the password by watching him unlock (video it and its even easier).

Any random down the street can watch you put a password in and then take your phone and job done. The same cannot be said for finger print.

Security is not taken likely at work, I can't even connect my mobile to the corp wifi because its not security compliant.

Jambo

3rd Sep 14 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not official but black looks nice here:

A2H GO

3rd Sep 14 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
....its a hell of a lot harder than the password.

Grabbing a decent print off the device or anything they've touched, whilst isn't a piece of piss, isn't particularly difficult. And producing the "gummy" print just takes a quick trip down to your local Maplin's.

Some MI5 shit right there
Welsh Dan

3rd Sep 14 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They did it on Mythbusters. Surprisingly easy.
A2H GO

3rd Sep 14 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If folk want to go to that effort fair play, they're welcome the $3 in my iTunes account.

[Edited on 03-09-2014 by A2H GO]
Dom

4th Sep 14 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Whilst I agree you should always hide your pin code from people it doesn't happen and so working out someones password is fairly easy.

Is it a 'pin code' or a 'password'?
The former would suggest you're using the four character 'passcode' which you probably could glean off someone quite easily if the user was slow at entering it into the device.

quote:
Our phones lock out after 5 minutes so if your using your phone you will be unlocking it many times per day.

Five minutes is a far amount of time; i usually set them to 30 or 60 seconds (depending on the device).

quote:
You make it sound simple to pull a finger print from an item.

I didn't mention it was a piece of piss but it is fairly-straight forward to lift a print and if you go by other whitepapers on the subject, you'll find that the print doesn't have to be one hundred percent perfect either.

quote:
From the report written up by the guy that did it on the 5S mentioned....

The same CCC report (i'm assuming that is what you're referring to?) that stated you shouldn't use the fingerprint recognition if you want to protect sensitive data?

quote:
The same cannot be said for finger print.

Except that the device will be covered with the users prints.

As said this isn't limited to the 5S or S5, a lot of biometric sensors in consumer gear is piss-poor (IBM Thinkpad springs to mind) and shouldn't be used for anything sensitive. Each to their own i guess.....

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
If folk want to go to that effort fair play, they're welcome the $3 in my iTunes account.

Not a huge amount of effort is involved and tbf Ash, i don't think anyone gives a monkeys about the photos of you dressed up in your missus underwear

Sensitive (and valuable) business data on the other-hand.....
Russ

4th Sep 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it right they're already camping out in New York hoping it will be release on the 10th?
Generation

4th Sep 14 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, their lives. Never understand why people Get so annoyed at it
Nic Barnes

4th Sep 14 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really looking forward to the new iPhone
Rob_Quads

4th Sep 14 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guys at the front have already sold their places for over a grand each!

The phone us only going to form a small part of the presentation this time I think. The iWarch will take a chunk along with the ios8 stuff like the payment system they have sorted with all the major players

Dom. Let's agree to disagree I can't be bothered to quote a load of replies. I'm happy with the finger print sensor
p

4th Sep 14 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just gonna wait until the Carphone Warehouse rings me up and says I can have one.
John

5th Sep 14 at 06:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iWatch definitely just another Samsung now.
Jambo

5th Sep 14 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are these smart watches going to take off? Who does them currently?
Russ

5th Sep 14 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will take off when apple launch theres.
A2H GO

5th Sep 14 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Are these smart watches going to take off? Who does them currently?

Aren't Samsung already on their third generation.
sc0ott

5th Sep 14 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If apple released the iplane i bet that would take off, even on a conveyor belt.
A2H GO

7th Sep 14 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like the sticky out camera lens might actually be a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQopSbASO40
John

7th Sep 14 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a day that apple would have (they did) tracked that guys family down and arrested them all. That's how you create proper hype.

I'm pretty disappointed that the full thing is now leaked 6 months before, if that's the real deal, pictures of that case have been going about for ages.
Chrissy
Premium Member

7th Sep 14 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That has to be it. I just can't believe how shit it looks - even coming from an Apple fan boy. The antenna breaks all over the back and the raised camera lens just doesn't seem very Apple-y. Say what you will about their "walled garden-ness" or their slow uptake of new features.. Their products have always been well designed and well made. This one just doesn't seem to be if these leaks are anything to go by.

[Edited on 07-09-2014 by Chrissy]

>>>> Chris <<<<

A2H GO

7th Sep 14 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as the 5S and the 5 and the 4s and the 4 before that, everyone knew what they would look like well in advance. Does ruin some of the excitement. When you're as big as Apple and have to produce them at the scale they do and as far in advance as they do, I guess it's nigh on impossible to stop leaks (if they even wanted to that is I guess it does them a lot of favours too).

I like the antenna breaks, apart from the fact they're required, it would look far too plain without, lens looks shite though.

[Edited on 07-09-2014 by A2H GO]
Chrissy
Premium Member

7th Sep 14 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I like the antenna breaks
[Edited on 07-09-2014 by A2H GO]

They just look unnecessarily thick.

I'd much prefer if they were like the current 4/5 breaks. Like this:

Although I did see this render and thought it looked fantastic:

>>>> Chris <<<<

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll