corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iPhone 6 Thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iPhone 6 Thread
AndyKent

User status: Offline
12th Jun 14 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite sure why there's such a surprise.

The smartphone world has pretty much ground to a halt in terms of 'innovation'. The differences between the S3 and S5 are largely cosmetic features rather than must haves. Same with Apple. This is something obvious that they haven't tried yet....an easy win for the number of people who would like a bigger Apple phone.
A2H GO

12th Jun 14 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks terrible in the same way all previously leaked iPhone designs looked terrible and everyone hated them until they were release and became the 'best design ever'.

I've personally been waiting for a rounded back design iPhone since the 3GS, I've got a new iPod touch here at work and the design/feel is superb. I just hope they release a 4 inch version too as nothing I want to do on a phone requires a bigger screen than that.

Rob_Quads

12th Jun 14 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ironically you could argue they are going back to the Apple design as the iPads also follow this shape rather than the sharp edged iPhone.

It almost feels like they were trying something different with the square design - needed the extra space inside so got the arial on the outside .etc. now technology is 3/4 years on and they have shrunk the components enough that the curved edges is easier to put on (and the fact its bigger too).

Its also worth saying that leaked pictures never give a true idea of the phone. They always look crap in comparison to the real thing, often made of the wrong material etc

evilrob
Premium Member

12th Jun 14 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree about leaks not giving a true idea of the phone. The iPhone 5 leaks from historically reliable sources were pretty much spot on:

I reckon what's floating around on the inter webs at the moment is near as arseholes going to be how the iPhone 6 will look.

I don't doubt the leaked photos are of mockups, and that materials / finishing touches are subject to change - but I think it's safe to say we're looking at a metal unibody chassis, curved edges, a bigger screen, power button moved to the side and horrible plastic insulating bars across the back.

(i.e. a knock-off HTC M8)

That said, I really hope it's a red herring as I'm sure Apple can do better than this.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jun 14 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Looks terrible in the same way all previously leaked iPhone designs looked terrible and everyone hated them until they were release and became the 'best design ever'.

I've personally been waiting for a rounded back design iPhone since the 3GS, I've got a new iPod touch here at work and the design/feel is superb. I just hope they release a 4 inch version too as nothing I want to do on a phone requires a bigger screen than that.

Don't worry you will soon be claiming to want a big screen too when apple release it
A2H GO

12th Jun 14 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't you have some hd-DVDs to watch.
Russ

12th Jun 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it looks ok, i like the round.. but...

it looks like they just made the screen longer, reminds me of this old gem

Bart

12th Jun 14 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like the rounded edges myself.
As previously mentioned, habits and markets change, theres been plenty of big phones many many years ago and they were awful at the time.
I think as a significant number of android devices have larger screens, they obviously have to adapt to the market somewhat.

I don't like the larger device personally, but that's not to say I wont prefer it in a years time.

I don't think i'll be rushing out to buy one in a hurry just yet, but I wont be swapping to andoid either.
John

12th Jun 14 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adapting to the market is a bad thing for Apple to be forced into doing. The Apple of today was built by defining the market.
Russ

12th Jun 14 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, apple _supposed_ to be about adapting what exists to make it better
John

12th Jun 14 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unashamedly copying but only the stuff they want to, not what the consumer things they want.
Russ

13th Jun 14 at 05:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yeah
pow
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 07:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love how John has this nailed
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 07:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can predict the comments now

"I'v never been a fan of big screens on phones, but im surprisingly impressed by the larger screen on the iPhone 6"
A2H GO

13th Jun 14 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty much happy with the phone, if the 6 is a 5S with a rounded back I'm happy, no one is doing anything interesting in this space anymore.

I'm more interested in a smart watch thats decent.

[Edited on 13-06-2014 by A2H GO]
Balling
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I can predict the comments now

"I'v never been a fan of big screens on phones, but im surprisingly impressed by the larger screen on the iPhone 6"
What's wrong with a comment like that?

Makes complete sense that many people, my self included, have stuck with Apple and not been tempted by competing phones due to their size.
These same people might now be forced to buy a larger phone, as availability of smaller ones slowly dies out and subsequently find that a large phone actually wasn't all that bad.

Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty,
It shows that people will change their view purely because a certain company has made it.

I see you are already making the back track
mwg

13th Jun 14 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how big it's going to be. Still want to be able to fit a phone in my pocket comfortably. Not sure if I could do if it's as big as some phones on sale currently
Balling
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It shows that people will change their view purely because a certain company has made it.
Where in my post did I say that peoples views would be changed because the phone is made by Apple?

Rob_Quads

13th Jun 14 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Plenty,

In a way yes but I don't like bigger phones that I have played with, all android based but then I don't like the android OS. Can I say I don't like bigger phones - yes because all I have used I don't like.

If apple release a bigger phone and I like how it works then I am I not allowed to change to liking larger phone. You could argue its because its apple and your 100% right because I personally prefer the Apple iOS system to Android

But some people really don't like that others actually find the Apple ecosystem good and when new products come out they just slot into it and thus like them too.
Balling
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
But some people really don't like that others actually find the Apple ecosystem good
Hating Apple products is even more of a cult than liking them, I've found.

It's also a guaranteed win to dislike new Apple products as anyone arguing against you is just a fanboy and thus instantly wrong.

It's the same idiotic circus every time a new product is announced.

Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 14 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The whole fan boy/non fan boy argument is massive and its pointless one trying to prove the other wrong, it will run and run forever.
Dom

13th Jun 14 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
..but I don't like bigger phones that I have played with, all android based but then I don't like the android OS.

It's not as if there's any significant changes in user experience when jumping up to these large screened devices (just look at Windows Phone and the 1520/1320), so i'm slightly confused why the connection between phone size and OS - surely a phablet is a phablet regardless of OS and you either like big phones or your don't?

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
I'm more interested in a smart watch thats decent.

Moto 360 looks immense and it appears (going off rumours) Apple will do something very similar
John

13th Jun 14 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smart watches will be a passing fad, exactly the sort of thing Apple should be staying away from.

Majority of people don't wear watches that tell the time as it is. Google Glass in one form or another (probably in a contact lens in the medium term) will have all that information, absolutely no need for it to be in a watch to do the same thing.
Rob_Quads

13th Jun 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
..but I don't like bigger phones that I have played with, all android based but then I don't like the android OS.

It's not as if there's any significant changes in user experience when jumping up to these large screened devices (just look at Windows Phone and the 1520/1320), so i'm slightly confused why the connection between phone size and OS - surely a phablet is a phablet regardless of OS and you either like big phones or your don't?

The OS has a huge part to play. You can have two phones of the same size but they could be totally different experiences. Once which makes use of the extra size and is effective to use yet the other has very poor use of space and function i.e. things like button location, poor upscaling, etc

Its not just the OS its how the Apps use the space as well. Are they developed to the screen size making good layout so your not constantly having to stretch from one end to the other, is it just a stretched version etc.

All why its not just a case of the physical screen size

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll