corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Electricity & Gas - First Time Buyer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electricity & Gas - First Time Buyer
deano87

User status: Offline
29th Apr 14 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, how does one go about choosing a supplier? Phoning supplier, giving metre readings etc is easy enough, but how do you go about choosing a supplier?

Never lived alone. No idea what is a good deal or not, other than cheaper the better, or is it?

2 bed house, 2 of us living there. Work full time. Don't like the house particularly hot.

Currently electricity is pay monthly with gas on pre-pay which we intend to change. Want to pay everything monthly by Direct Debit.

Cavey

29th Apr 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Uswitch, or money supermarket etc... Although not sure if they need what you currently pay to see if they can find cheaper. I'd guess not. Cheaper the better. Not sure there's much to worry about with them otherwise. Might be worth looking for a smaller supplier, they seem to be springing up recently at cheaper costs.
deano87

29th Apr 14 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done a Compare the Market.

Estimated cost is £650/year for gas & electric.

Apparently first:utility will save us £118/year with £532/year cost.

Question: when we move in, do we have to stick with SSE, the current provider? Or can we just ring up anyone and still have electric/gas a plenty for the interim?
Conway563

29th Apr 14 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd highly recommend first utility, not quite sure how mine was so cheap over the winter but worked out 66% cheaper than when I was with npower
As long as you've got a move in date there should be issue getting it changed over straight away, will just need to take meter readings once you're in

Previous owner would be expected to provide SSE with a final reading anyway
AndyKent

29th Apr 14 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Money saving expert have a comparison tool, though I can't remember what's its called!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

29th Apr 14 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will write to you when you arrive. My house had shitty prepayment meters. Had to switch to a company that would swap them to normal ones for free. Then wait the 8 weeks for it to switch to the new supplier.

Seems to be a lot of time for something that is relatively simple.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ben G

30th Apr 14 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I phoned the previous vendors provider the day after I moved in. Sorted it all over the phone.

Obviously if you want to change providers, it's not as easy, although i'm sure they made it a quicker process recently or are going to soon.

For reference, we pay 33 for gas and 32 for electric by direct debit each month with British Gas. Not bad I think. Both work full time, dishwasher, tumbledryer and outside light on all night. Gas hob, electric cooker etc.

[Edited on 30-04-2014 by Ben G]
deano87

30th Apr 14 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uSwitch phoned me today. Advised that if the gas is pre-pay, to go with someone temporarily that will do the switch FOC and provided I don't tie myself into a contract, then switch to first:utility or Ovo, as they will charge to change the meter.
John

30th Apr 14 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've found there is very little in it and its a pain changing, normally end up down hundreds of credit that you've built up for a couple of months.

Go with the cheapest who'll change the meter and stick with them for a year.
deano87

30th Apr 14 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if say Ovo offer a meter change, switch to them and get them to change the meter?
John

30th Apr 14 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That or go with the chepeast one who will change it for free, even if its slightly more expensive than the absolute cheapest.
dannymccann

1st May 14 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whichever provider gives you a meter change for free, almost regardless of the price per unit of fuel will be cheaper because getting the meters changed is not a cheap task
deano87

3rd May 14 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Whichever provider gives you a meter change for free, almost regardless of the price per unit of fuel will be cheaper because getting the meters changed is not a cheap task

Russ

4th May 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

utility warehouse
John

5th May 14 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Utility warehouse along with selling herbalife and whatever other scams are about at the time.
Russ

5th May 14 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lad at work does it on the side and says they're great

New Poll