corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Solar Panels

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Solar Panels
Gaz

User status: Offline
25th Nov 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been sent this - http://ashadegreener.co.uk

What exactly is the catch - how can they be free and we still save money?

I can't get my head around it

John

25th Nov 12 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are free because you pay the company who fitted them any money you get in selling the energy back to the grid for 25 years. Never made sense to me and I've got doubts about them ever being fitted properly.

I class them as the same sort of thing, done by the same sort of company who'll paint your roof.

Nowhere near efficient enough yet.
Russ

26th Nov 12 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah basically, if you pay to have them fitted, in about 14 years you will start to see a profit (vs. money under mattress) at current prices. If they're fitted for free you have to wait x amount of years (usually 20-25) before they sign it over so you get the money generated by the excess electric.
sc0ott

26th Nov 12 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the system breaks down do they fix it for free every time?
AndyKent

26th Nov 12 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not bad schemes IMO, John and Russ both right and wrong.

Company pays for supply & fitting.
Connection gets confirmed and approved by inspector (without this no-one gets a payment so has to be kosher).
Company takes all of the feed in tariff payment from the Gov. based upon the amount of energy generated.
Homeowner gets to use the electricity generated/exported therefore does not pay for so much energy from the grid.

Easy way to slightly reduce your energy bills.
AndyKent

26th Nov 12 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In terms of maintenance it is usually up to the installer to arrange/pay for repairs since they are relying on the FiT to make a profit. If the system isn't working they aren't going to make any money.
Rob_Quads

26th Nov 12 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Note some mortgage companies don't like these schemes as your essentially giving a 25year lease to something they own.
Can work both ways when selling. Some might like it but others might not as your limiting them for the future (when much more efficient panels will appear

I can see why people would do it as they end up getting some free energy but its not that much you get also the winter (when you use more energy) they produce much less too!

Problem is the break even point means you need to be very sure your staying in your house for a while to start making the money, specially with the price changes from the government
AndyKent

26th Nov 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no break even point, they're free so you save immediately
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Nov 12 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get to use the electricity from them for free, so that is a bonus.

You need to give them the use of your roof for 25 years, which can cause problems with mortgage and resale.

The savings are clear to see, free electricity, it'll bring the grid bill down proportionally depending on your usage pattern.

For the largest gains you need to be clever with how you use the electricity though there's no storage of it in the house, so the time when there is most available people will normally be at work. I'd be having an electric immersion heater as well on all night heating water up, bring the gas bill down a bit in conjunction with the electricity savings.

Or just install it yourself anyway in a few years when the technology has got a bit better and you'd still see the gains, just need to wait a bit to break even, but at least you're not in bed with someone.

Its basically a 25 year loan, and there are better ways to obtain one of those.

The current tech still has a way to go.
Ben J

26th Nov 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My parents have Solar. They paid for it themselves. Think Russ is right, i'm sure my dad reckons 14 years they will start to see profit. My parents are 63/64. Seems a bit silly imo. Although their elec meter goes backwards in the summer sometimes.

[Edited on 26-11-2012 by Ben J]
Rob_Quads

26th Nov 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
There is no break even point, they're free so you save immediately

Sorry - should have clarified that comment was in relation to the buying them outright yourself side of things.
Gaz

26th Nov 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

free electric sounds awesome but do I want to be in this house in 20/25 years... hmmm probably not.

thanks for the advice CS
Rob_Quads

27th Nov 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian is spot on with the usage pattern comment.

Many people during the winter will only use a fraction of thier normal usage during daylight hours, meaning the panels don't really save you that much.

You have to change your habits to make sure the washing machine etc are all used during the day.

You could use an immersion heater to heat your water. Someone I know has a very wired up system such that if their house is producing Xkw but they are only using Ykw it will turn the immersion heater on a certain about so they are just under their generated amount i.e. getting the most out of it.
Ludacris Turbo

27th Nov 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate is an Electrician for A Shade Greener. Earns a decent wage from them!
As rob pointed out you've gotta change your habits and use stuff during the day!
JM_16v

27th Nov 12 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a qualified Solar Installer and work for a new power supplier as well as power generator through solar and wind

is purchased outright, typical payback should reflect a 8% yield which is greater than investing in residential property which works on a 5% yield. (also work for a property investment company)

we will also offer free solar shortly providing guarenteed discount on energy bill of 10-20%
John

28th Nov 12 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you need to have to be a qualified solar installer?

When I was doing some IT work in a company who does it, it sounded like an electrician has to hook it up, any monkey can screw it incorrectly to your roof?
Gary
Premium Member

28th Nov 12 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Roofers install the panals and drop wire into loft.

Sparky comes and connects up.

My mate is useless but is managing to earn a decent whack out of chucking panels on the roof.

So unless you mean the leccy part then, non.
Russ

28th Nov 12 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

City and Guilds in Solar Energy Collection
ChazSXi

28th Nov 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have them, were on the house when we bought it. Our elec bill has on average been approx £13 a month since we moved in.
carl roper

2nd Dec 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

When I was doing some IT work in a company who does it, it sounded like an electrician has to hook it up, any monkey can screw it incorrectly to your roof?

You need to be an MCS accredited company to sign an install off to get the feed in tariff.

New Poll