corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Low Cost PC for Server

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Low Cost PC for Server
ed

User status: Offline
20th Apr 14 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My trusty Netgear ReadyNAS seems to have packed in, so it's time for a replacement. My plan is to build a PC which I can install Windows Server onto and then run a couple of Linux VMs on for certain tasks like Time Machine backups, media streaming and NAS stuff.

I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective way of building something with right amount of power. I already have the HDD's for the job and the software needed, so I guess I just need a RAID card for my 1.5TB disks from the ReadyNAS and a decent barebones to put everything in.

Any suggestions?
Dom

20th Apr 14 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a HP Microserver running XPEnology (Synology DSM)?
Works extremely well, loads of features and cash back on microserver makes it dirt cheap.

If you need more grunt then there was a cash back offer on the ml110's.
ed

20th Apr 14 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of these?

http://www.ebuyer.com/517760-hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-g1610t-1p-2gb-u-b120i-nhp-sata-150w-ps-712317-421

They look pretty good for the price, will have to pay the VAT on it but it's still super cheap
Nismo

20th Apr 14 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Dom said the micro servers are really good, have used them for a few things.
Dom

20th Apr 14 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
One of these?

http://www.ebuyer.com/517760-hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-g1610t-1p-2gb-u-b120i-nhp-sata-150w-ps-712317-421

They look pretty good for the price, will have to pay the VAT on it but it's still super cheap

No, the N54L G7 (THIS) - although i'm not sure if it's still stocked or if HP are still running the cashback offer on it - ended up being around £82 ex VAT with the cashback, ie - dirt cheap.

The G8's are brilliant especially with having a lot, lot more grunt than the previous Microservers but you probably could do better for the money (refurb Dell etc) - i don't doubt HP will do a similar cashback offer on the G8's but it'll be towards EOL if you go off the previous offers on G7 models.

[Edited on 20-04-2014 by Dom]
ed

20th Apr 14 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw the older ones listed, but nowhere seems to have stock Think the cashback offer expired in March too - shame I didn't get round to sorting this sooner!

Just been trying to get the ReadyNAS back online and it seems like the disk controller is dead as it will only fire up if they're not fitted.
Andrew

21st Apr 14 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running a FUJITSU PRIMERGY TX100 S3. I have upgraded it to 24GB RAM, has 2x 2TB Hard Drives as well as the original 2x 500GB Hard Drives. I've also added an LSI Raid Controller as the onboard Raid was on software which VMware does not support.

It's about 2 years old now but has 5 years warranty.
ed

21st Apr 14 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think my VM idea isn't going to work actually, unless I scrap the idea of using it as a NAS.

Think what I want is something to run daily web server backups onto (FTP), Mac backups (Time Machine) and Plex. I really like Server 2008, but I think Ubuntu or Debian would be better for this which is a bit of a shame. (Even though I'm a fan of both those OS').
John

21st Apr 14 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does windows not do the time machine backups easily?

For the original brief, I'd just run it all within one OS if possible.
Unless you superficially need the virtualization for something else.
ed

21st Apr 14 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think so, all the things I've read have suggested Linux for unofficial Time Machine support. I'll keep looking though

The virtualisation idea is just for a bit of practice/fun really.

[Edited on 21-04-2014 by ed]
John

21st Apr 14 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A box running some form of hypervisor is definitely handy to have.
Rob_Quads

21st Apr 14 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally if you are wanting to use this for TimeMachine then get a proper TimeMachine or Airport + USB disc.

Windows does not do great at TimeMachine as you have to hack your Mac to get it to work. Every so often it can stop working and version upgrades often break it.
Linux support your relying on packages which try and replicate the protocol which again are not 100% reliable. If your using it to back up you want it to be there when it all goes wrong. You don't want to be fighting trying to get it to work.

I've tried running TimeMachine to a Windows 8.1 Share but its just not stable enough to be a good backup solution

[Edited on 21-04-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Dom

21st Apr 14 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Think what I want is something to run daily web server backups onto (FTP), Mac backups (Time Machine) and Plex.

As said, have a look at Xpenology (it's Synology's DSM for x86/64 hardware) - PoP to setup and will do majority of the above with the exception of auto backups from FTP but i just knocked up a a simple script and CRON'd it.
ed

21st Apr 14 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Personally if you are wanting to use this for TimeMachine then get a proper TimeMachine or Airport + USB disc.

No thanks; I've been running Time Machine on my ReadyNAS for ages now and it works just fine.
Andrew

24th Apr 14 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what i have

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_TX100_Tower_Server_with_5_Year_Warranty__BUN-VFYT1003SC070IN-687/version.asp
andy_mk3

24th Apr 14 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Fujitsu looks fantastic for the money.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Dom says, or look into FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/) which is FreeBSD based (unix) and does everything you want apart from being able to run VMs.

New Poll