corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Whats cheaper to run Laptop or PC?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats cheaper to run Laptop or PC?
Twiggy

User status: Offline
7th May 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adiohead

7th May 10 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

laptop
Dom

7th May 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on spec (can get some seriously low powered PC), but i would generally say it's a laptop as a laptops charger is roughly 40w or so compared to say a pc which is about 80-100w at idle.
Brett
Premium Member

7th May 10 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to be honest and say that the power consumption of any device in my home has never crossed my mind
Dom

7th May 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
I have to be honest and say that the power consumption of any device in my home has never crossed my mind

Give it a few years and i'm sure you'll start taking more interest in energy consumption, especially when your energy bills start to sky rocket

By the way twiggy, if you're thinking of using a laptop as your main system then as a rule of thumb it's better to charge the laptop when needed rather than leave the charger connected as it can shorted the life span of the battery.
John

7th May 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just remove the battery.

Modern desktops use hardly any power though, or even get a nettop.

It's a difference in tens of pounds a year though, no more than that, nowhere near what the energy adverts claim.
moka

7th May 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Entirelly depends on which pc / laptop you go for as stated above. I have a FITPC (google it) and it runs on about 6w's of power iirc which is bugger all whereas a laptop is more 45-60w's ish
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have 2 laptops and neither have batteries in, they run directly off the socket, I find the lag in performance when running off a battery on our laptops isnt worth the hassle of them being perfectly mobile.

I would say even the most modern desktop will consume more power than a laptop, albeit it wont be much more. When you start talking about gaming rigs though thats when you probably need to start taking real notice.
John

7th May 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hadn't heard of that, does it really do 1080p, for instance the tv series mkv's or films?

[Edited on 07-05-2010 by John]
Twiggy

7th May 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reason i ask is we have moved in to our new gaff and have a meter. Since we have got the internet connected and the computer is on its drinking juice!

The mrs has just aquired a cheapo laptop and was woundering if there is anything between them?
Dom

7th May 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
We have 2 laptops and neither have batteries in, they run directly off the socket, I find the lag in performance when running off a battery on our laptops isnt worth the hassle of them being perfectly mobile.

I would say even the most modern desktop will consume more power than a laptop, albeit it wont be much more. When you start talking about gaming rigs though thats when you probably need to start taking real notice.

Lag in performance? Sounds like you have some sort of power feature active.
Also there are plenty of mini-ITX/Pico desktop systems that use 6-20w, which is a fair bit less that the majority of laptop chargers.
Rob_Quads

7th May 10 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends on the hardware. I've got a Revo little computer in the livingroom which takes around 40W and its great for browsing and plays every film I can throw at it.
jamied

7th May 10 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant see it making any difference to a bill mate whether you use a laptop or pc
dannymccann

7th May 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Lag in performance? Sounds like you have some sort of power feature active.
Also there are plenty of mini-ITX/Pico desktop systems that use 6-20w, which is a fair bit less that the majority of laptop chargers.

Yea, even if I set it on high power it still isnt as good as on the battery, just slows up, so I dont bother anymore. I tend to use my Desire for browsing now though tbh.

Might have to look into one of these new fangled eco PC's, this ancient thing im on now struggles with YouTube videos on a fresh XP install
moka

8th May 10 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I hadn't heard of that, does it really do 1080p, for instance the tv series mkv's or films?

[Edited on 07-05-2010 by John]

If you were talking about the FITPC, i have the Slim edition (ever smaller), and not the newer one so HD films is a no no. Its a 550mhz Geode processor with 512mb ram, 160GB HDD. Its about the size of a wallet lol. I use it as a headless ubuntu server with a couple of tera drives attached to it and its fuckin superb - was exactly what i was looking for.
dannymccann

8th May 10 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they actually any good (in standard form) for going on the internet (flash content, scrolling graphic intensive webpages etc? Could it actually replace my 'office' desktop?
moka

8th May 10 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one i have came bundled with some linux distro (cant remember exactly what it was) and could do basic simple tasks OK. I didnt really mess about with it much thou i knew exactly what i was going to do with it before i got it was formatted after about 30mins? lol. The new ones iirc are the same spec as netbooks are nowadays, perfect for small 24/7 home servers or v.light web browsing/email etc.

[Edited on 08-05-2010 by moka]
noshua

8th May 10 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moka
The one i have came bundled with some linux distro (cant remember exactly what it was) and could do basic simple tasks OK. I didnt really mess about with it much thou i knew exactly what i was going to do with it before i got it was formatted after about 30mins? lol. The new ones iirc are the same spec as netbooks are nowadays, perfect for small 24/7 home servers or v.light web browsing/email etc.

[Edited on 08-05-2010 by moka]

How much did you pick it up for? And what OS/software are you running the server on? I'm nosey and curious
dannymccann

9th May 10 at 05:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose it comes down to price as I can build new internals for my full size desktop for £150 ish
moka

9th May 10 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cost me £70 ish? 2nd hand, bargain i thought. Wanted a 24/7 lite server that cost me next to nothing in the long run. Im running Ubuntu server.
Andrew

11th May 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems strange. I run two Dell PowerEdge servers 24/7 - plus a PC and a laptop (laptop is on when working from home), TV is always on with sky box, dry my clothes in tumble dryer etc and pay £50 a month.

Could the previous tennat owe any money on this box?
Twiggy

12th May 10 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nahh...The landlord gave us £20 to get us started
Andrew

12th May 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't listen to the landlord Twiggy, look after your own intrests. I'd be giving the supplier a call and make sure someone does not owe money on that account.

New Poll