corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Online backup - any cheaper solutions than Google Drive?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Online backup - any cheaper solutions than Google Drive?
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Mar 14 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just saw that Google Drive prices have been lowered.

At $2 a month for 100GB is there anything cheaper, currently?
1TB is $10 a month, but I think 100GB will suffice for now.

Like Robbo I'm blessed with a small-ish SSD drive, so would be nice to throw some stuff in the Cloud.

Balling
Premium Member

13th Mar 14 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Title says backup, I meant storage...

evilrob
Premium Member

13th Mar 14 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get 50gb on Box for free easily enough. U2U me your email address - I can sort you out.

Other than that, I don't think it gets any cheaper than the new Google Drive offering.

[Edited on 13-03-2014 by evilrob]
Dom

13th Mar 14 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at Backblaze for backups or Crashplan (you've got file access via mobile/pc apps and web iirc), both are around $3/4 per month for unlimited storage; alternatively look at Hubic which is 100GB for 1 Euro / 10TB is 10 euros per month and you've got web/mobile/desktop access to files.

Or do what Rob says, grab a few 50GB Box codes

[Edited on 13-03-2014 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

14th Mar 14 at 07:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks.

Will test out the Box solution. Combined with my 50 GB Dropbox, it might be sufficient for a while.

Hubic looks like a decent solution as well. Can't argue with the price.

evilrob
Premium Member

14th Mar 14 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be all fixed up now, old chap. Lemme know how you get on.

[Edited on 14-03-2014 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

14th Mar 14 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again for the help!

Uploading the first few GB as we speak.
Have a total of 60 GB I want to remove from my local drive, so might take a while until it's all done.
Looks like I have a 10 GB traffic limit per day with Box as well.

evilrob
Premium Member

14th Mar 14 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs, geezer.

Bummer about that 10gb upload limit though - pretty sure there's a 250mb individual file limit as well. But hey, it's free!

Should tide you over while the market reacts to Google's latest move.
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Mar 14 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just had an email from google-drive today saying my terms have been adjusted.

Your current plan is:
25 GB for $2.49 USD per month

Your new plan will be:
100 GB for $1.99 USD per month

Seems fair

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Balling
Premium Member

14th Mar 14 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Bummer about that 10gb upload limit though - pretty sure there's a 250mb individual file limit as well. But hey, it's free!
Not a big issue really. I'll mostly use Box for old photos, then use Dropbox for any larger files.

10 GB per day will not be a problem I think. Once the initial upload is done, I'll not come anywhere near that.

dannymccann

15th Mar 14 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a shame the Box Sync app is so bad compared to Dropbox, unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't drag and drop files to a sync folder on my desktop and let it upload as it sees fit, I only seem to be able to do it inside the browser. 250mb limit is poo as well, I've had to split my Win 8.1 ISO into 13 parts to get it to upload
Rob_Quads

15th Mar 14 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Livedrive is one I have looked at before that looked quid attractive.
Dom

15th Mar 14 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
It's a shame the Box Sync app is so bad.....

Yup, the standard app is pretty cack; Dropbox isn't much better though. Luckily you can use WebDav and a client like CyberDuck or NetDrive (which maps a share to webdav/DropBox).

Similarly under Android i use FolderSync for both (no doubt similar apps for WP/iOS).
Balling
Premium Member

15th Mar 14 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay, so far I'm having very little luck with Box... I've managed to transfer less than 1 GB of the 40 or so I want to move.

Transferring through the browser times out after a few 100 MB and WebDAV and FTP seems to be even more buggy.
Only once I've managed to log in through WebDAV and actually access my folder list. When I tried to upload it instantly timed out and since I haven't been able to connect at all, except through the browser.

[Edited on 15-03-2014 by Balling]

evilrob
Premium Member

15th Mar 14 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably why it's free.

Must admit I haven't actually used it - I just signed up for the 50gb in case I ever needed it. Sounds like it's a good job I don't!
Balling
Premium Member

15th Mar 14 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using the sync app now, which is a bit of a pita, but so far seems stable.

dannymccann

15th Mar 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sync 4? On what OS? I tried last night on Win7 and it keeps crashing and wont start up
Dom

15th Mar 14 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling, what are you using for WebDav access?
I've had little issue here transferring, granted only around 5/6GB, to Box with Cyberduck (under Windows); perhaps try a different client.

Box's web interface is absolutely cack though; it takes forever to navigate around, let alone upload files. This is where Dropbox is miles ahead.

Didn't realise there was FTP access to free accounts though, always thought it was a feature of paid business/enterprise accounts.

[Edited on 15-03-2014 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

15th Mar 14 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using Cyberduck as well (OS X), but will try with a different client.
Haven't actually managed to get access to my folders, let alone start a transfer, so file size doesn't come in to play yet.

Don't know about FTP. It shows up under Services when I'm logged in. Doesn't work though, so might be it's behind a paywall.

New Poll