corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SBS2008 Remote Desktop borked

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SBS2008 Remote Desktop borked
Dom

User status: Offline
28th Sep 12 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a SBS2008 box and when attempting to remote in using the administrator credentials (either locally or domain), it displays "Loading Session Manager" (or something similar) and automatically closes the session.
If i enter wrong usernames/passwords the session will stay open and sit at the 'Switch User' screen.

I assuming it's a borked service or a previous user hasn't logged out properly (never had that issue before) but does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers for any help.
Sam
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this a couple of times but on a 2011 box.

Had to get someone in the office to reboot the server in the end. Backup software was the culprit in that case (Symantec Backup Exec or something like that), the backup job got stuck part way through because it couldn't write to the backup drive so I think it had just been in some sort of infinite loop.
Neo

28th Sep 12 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not have access to the console ? I'd wager you're right, service "stopping" or failed to restart for whatever reason. Never seen it before though, guessing if you can see the event viewer it will answer all.
John

28th Sep 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use push VNC when it happens.
pow
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 08:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be honest and just say restart it would be my first port of call (if you can do that).

If not use qwinsta to disconnect any other remote sessions.

It's likely to be a service that fucked though
pow
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can restart it you can smb to it (\\server), authenticate and then shutdown -r -t 0 -m \\server
Dom

28th Sep 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not in the office, so it looks like i'll get someone to reboot the box when they get chance.

quote:
Originally posted by John
I use push VNC when it happens.

Is this for local use only?

John

28th Sep 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Dom, it is. I normally have some other way of getting on, be it a PC or a VPN.
Dom

28th Sep 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John - No worries, thought it might. Unfortunately there isn't VPN to network, so i'm a bit screwed with out RDP. Strangely i was going to configure VPN on the box over the weekend, always the way

Quick question - if i can't get anyone to login to the box via RDP to reboot it, what's the best solution to safely bring the box down and back up again?
Likelihood of the server going tits up if the front panel reboot button/pulling plug method is used?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you press the reset button it should do a soft reset where it sends a shutdown signal to the O/S, if you hold down the reset/shutdown button for >5 seconds it will hard shut down and possibly cause issues.
John

28th Sep 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to hard shutdown server all the time. I'm not saying that it can't cause problems, because it can. Normally ok though.
Dom

28th Sep 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Touch wood i've yet had to pull the plug on a server in anger but hopefully i can get someone in the office to sort.

Cheers for all the help
John

28th Sep 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do it at least a couple of times a week
pow
Premium Member

28th Sep 12 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I do it at least a couple of times a week

this

Or the FORCE SHUTDOWN button in HyperV

New Poll