corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT People / Networking question

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT People / Networking question
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   21st Feb 14 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello

Probably a simple answer for the IT folk and I don't work in IT so I don't know.

Two diagrams below. If there's a server in US I'm networked to (I'm in UK) and I select a folder on a US drive to move to another folder on US drive, which way does it go? I mean just going onto the network drive and just dragging it across, not FTPing into it or anything like that. Again, this may seem stupid to some

OR

I only ask because it takes an age.

Thanks

[Edited on 21-02-2014 by Brett]
Dom

21st Feb 14 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends; how are you connected to the 'US' servers - do you RDS to one server or are network shares from both 'US' servers attached to your 'UK' system? Or another method?
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't remote into it or anything. That was kind of why I ask. If just opening the drives and moving the folder were like the second pic, then I would've assumed remoting in would be the answer to my speed issue. Currently it's taking 3days to transfer 1.5tb of data.

pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're doing it via network shares (or drives, basically via SMB, which I think you are as you are using \\ on your paths!), then Windows will use a sort of cache to move the files, so they will be coming down from the server your transferring from to your computer, then upload from your computer to the 2nd server.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I assumed was happening, hence taking an age to transfer. So if I remoted into US network it should speed things up considerably?
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remote Desktop into one of the servers and do it there. That'll be the quickest way.

If you launch the copy from YOUR windows desktop in the UK then it'll be the same story

[Edited on 21-02-2014 by pow]
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right, so even if I remoted into one of the machines that's on the local us network it'd still be as slow? There's no way I'll be able to remote direct to server.
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean by remoting into
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well like remote desktop, so its like I'm sat at a US machine.
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would work better yes, as I assume the two servers would be on the same LAN?
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a server in the US with a NAS attached. All the folders we're using in the UK are on said NAS. Once it starts filling up, we simply create a folder on the same NAS called Archive then move the older data from one folder to another on the same drive (which then gets removed and backed up on request by some US douche). Like I said 1.5tb takes around 3days. It shouldn't be like that should it, which is how my question has come about.

pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remote onto a US machine, it would be MUCH quicker providing it's all on the same LAN
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is the answer I was after haha
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't want to give you false information like
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So just to rephrase slightly so I don't look like a fucktard in the IT office. I want remote acces to a US machine on the same LAN as the US server that's hosting the NAS?
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NAS and the server if that's possible.
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol what do you mean? Was what I said not right? Remote access to machine on same LAN as server that NAS is connected to?

pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's a NAS box it'll be attached to the network yes? So the server and the NAS box are attached to the same network? So you want a machine on that same network
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yes, of course lol

IT seem like complete bellends here anyway

Above is 110% correct yes, that if we used a machine on the same LAN as the NAS then it'd be quicker right? So it wasn't having to travel over the internet kind of thing? If LAN is local what would the whole network of servers around the globe be refered to as?

The way it's setup as I described, it's absolutely definitely coming down from NAS over net connection to my machine to go back up to NAS via net connection?
pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes... use a machine local to the NAS - will be much quicker
Brett
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100%? Could you answer that other bit about what the whole network of global machines would be refered to as well please? I need to put a case together to go over ITs head here now, very unreceptive. Only been here a few weeks too, such a great way to make new friends

Is the whole global network a WAN, which is a collection of LANs at different locations connected via bridges?

pow
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know the specifics of how you're two sites are connected but I guess if you were working from home you'd be using a host to LAN VPN, if the two offices are parmanetly linked there would be a permanent LAN to LAN VPN link configured on the gateway of each network.

Any traffic outside of your LAN is generally concidered on the WAN (wide area network).
willay
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting serious in here
willay
Premium Member

21st Feb 14 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to backup Pow's answer if you are copying files from one server to another from a workstation viewing via Windows Explorer the data flow wil be from server1 to you, then up to server 2.

If you want to speed up copying times dramatically then you need access to a workstation/server in the same physical/geographical location. Can depend alot on how the network is setup.

When you do your copy operation from current->archive, you should do it from the server's console (the one 'attached to the nas'). So for example if the server is a Windows machine you should get remote access to it via Remote Desktop Protocol or VNC, then browse to the NAS to make the copy operations.

[Edited on 21-02-2014 by willay]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll