corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa b 1.6 leaking coolant any ideas ????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa b 1.6 leaking coolant any ideas ????
JackAndertonx16xe

User status: Offline
25th Jan 14 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi , I have a corsa b 1.6 sport and over the last couple of days I have had to keep filling the header tank up with water as it completely drains which is making it heat up to like 95-100 and causing the heater not to work. I can't see any leaks myself but I was just wondering is there anything I could look for or what it possibly be before I take to to a garage ? Thankyou
johnhara1

25th Jan 14 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the engine is using water i'd expect to see excessive white smoke from the exhaust.

If the heater matrix was the culprit, you'd have wet carpets in the front.

Check the rad hoses for leaks when cold and when the engine is upto temp.

Check to see if the rad pipes go hard and the water forces it's way out the header tank cap. Again, head gasket or cylinder head problem.
JackAndertonx16xe

25th Jan 14 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would it be if the engine was using water as it has got quite a bit of white smoke , and will check all of the above , I was wondering could it be the water pump ? Thanks for your reply
CorsaCharles93

25th Jan 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head gasket
johnhara1

26th Jan 14 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head gasket unfortunately.

Although, in this weather you would get alot of steam from the exhaust and a leak would explain the coolant loss so don't expect the worst straight away.

Check the above then fill and bleed the coolant system. Then.....If you can't find a leak and you are still using water, look towards the head gasket.

It's not a hard job on these btw and they are easy to time up aswell.
csifku

27th Jan 14 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JackAndertonx16xe
What would it be if the engine was using water as it has got quite a bit of white smoke , and will check all of the above , I was wondering could it be the water pump ? Thanks for your reply

mate, white smoke is coming from burning oil .. its mutual problem, i got x16xe too ... ur header tank ! check the hose on the bottom .. mine was same, leaking but no water on the floor .. water was goin near the gearbox and dont go down but when u drive, the pressure take it out quicker than when ur car isnt running or on same place
Generation

27th Jan 14 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White smoke isn't burning oil..
csifku

27th Jan 14 at 02:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
White smoke isn't burning oil..
nah but he might got it wrong , when i drive mine before i done valves and seals when i used to drive it looked as white smoke on the rear view mirror .. ;-)
best is if he try to check under oil cap or if water mix with oil then header tank would have some too , dont u think ?
CorsaCharles93

27th Jan 14 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some forte car coolent flush it has uv dye in it when it's dark flush your engine and purchase a uv light off eBay and you'll be able to see all the leaks as it will show up bright geen under uv light
Generation

28th Jan 14 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why you trying to dig out of a hole? You clearly state

"White smoke is from burning oil"
corsajay88

28th Jan 14 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White smoke is burning coolant. Will most like be headgasket unfortunately. If your going to get it done would be a good idea to get them to do the rings as well. I've had 3 where they start burning oil after a head gasket change.

New Poll